KBARC Sewage Plant

2,474 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by ooshwa
JohnD`05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I saw a sign up at the intersection of Elmo Weeden and Steep Hollow Rd about fighting the KBARC Sewage Plant. I'm assuming this means there may be a new sewage plant planned to be constructed somewhere on Steep Hollow Rd. Googling revealed little information about this, except that KBARC owns some land off Steep Hollow next door to a new housing development with homes on 1-2 acres that I'm guessing are valued in the 300-600k range.

I worry about what impact this could have on the values of the new homes going up near there. Anyone have any info?

duffelpud
AG
quote:
I worry about what impact this could have on the values of the new homes going up near there.
Not as big an impact as not processing the sewage.
Ornlu
AG
What does KBARC stand for?
waterchick
Interesting. I searched this site http://www1.tceq.texas.gov/wqpaq/ and didn't find any pending applications for public or private domestic wastewater permits.
Chazz03
AG
Will this cause more traffic. If so I'm against it
Ornlu
AG
Alright, I exercised my google muscles. Back in 2014, KBARC applied for a TCEQ wastewater permit for a new 300,000 gallon per day (0.3 MGD). Permit was vetted & a public hearing was held back in February 2015. Looks like the sign you saw was probably a year old.

The thing is: 0.3 MGD is a VERY small plant. Bryan's Burton Creek plant is 5+ MGD (15+ times as large) and College Station's Carter Creek plant is 8+ MGD. Not only that, but WWTP technology has come a long way in the last 20 years regarding ability to have the smell not travel. Also, the effluent has to be as clean as (and often more clean....) the creek it's discharging into. I strongly doubt this has much effect on property values.
ooshwa
Staff
AG
I live adjacent to a newer WWTP in west Brazos county that went online online in 2013. My home is 300yds from the tanks. I've never smelt it once (nor my guests in case you think I just got used to it).

My concern for the area in question would be noise pollution (and light pollution to a lesser degree). Its a big problem for me.
Tailgate88
AG
**** happens!
duffelpud
AG
quote:
I've never smelt it once

Ooshwa, is that you?
ooshwa
Staff
AG
ha, do we say smelled here? blame my European roots. though generations removed, they sometimes come through...

...specially when I need an excuse for poor grammar
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.