Best burger in the Brazos Valley

14,303 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by australopithecus robustus
Jet Blue
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

"The Dead Texan" The Filling Station, Navasota, TX.
Tailgate88
AG
Yowza just looking at that makes my chest hurt. What all is on that?
halibut sinclair
According to Yelp, the Filling Station closed late last year.
FlyRod
Wow that looked like a great place for breakfast too.

I wonder how His Highness missed that one?
ChampsAg
The Filling Station is now a liquor store
Slicer97
AG
I don't know if they still make them the same way, but the store at Wheelock made a damn good thick burger 15 years ago. I would assume they still do if the ownership hasn't changed.
agfan1030
Huntsville:

Hitchin' Post / old truck stop I-45 / smoke free for several months

huge half pounder burger old fashioned ...thick with meat and veggies...delicious....bun done on the grill ....with best homemade onion rings (or fries) $10.95 I think

and

Bandera Grill .... on jalapeno bun...grilled meat ...also has great onion rings...
------------------------------------------------------------------
Have to update this.
Went to Hitchin' Post today. Well, they now have a designated smoking area and the smoke smell flows into the main dining area. So, I would not call it smoke free anymore. I complained. The waitress said she would tell management. It is a truck stop so I don't expect that to change.

Updated menu: Still have the half pounder however it is on a slightly smaller bun with a little less veggies. However, it is still a big burger. They still have the same great large onion rings and the same amount. Another plus, the half pounder and onion rings are now $4 cheaper. It is a lot to eat.
halibut sinclair
Mr. Hamburger in Huntsville is pretty good, also.
agfan1030
Are they as good as the old Mr. Hamburger stand? I didn't think so.
Spyderman
AG
Slovacek's in Snook
ShipWreckGrill
Thanks sambo13!

New "Walk The Plank" burger at Shipwreck I hope will be up there one day!!

I like all the independent restaurants on the list. I think by far the best places.
FlyRod
quote:
I like all the independent restaurants on the list. I think by far the best places.
Builder93
AG
You can put together a mean burger at Blackwater Draw. They have a lot of toppings you won't find at most other places.....and the mean and buns are good.
agfan1030
quote:
Huntsville:

Hitchin' Post / old truck stop I-45 / smoke free for several months See update below.

huge half pounder burger old fashioned ...thick with meat and veggies...delicious....bun done on the grill ....with best homemade onion rings (or fries) $10.95 I think

and

Bandera Grill .... on jalapeno bun...grilled meat ...also has great onion rings...
------------------------------------------------------------------
Have to update this.
Went to Hitchin' Post today. Well, they now have a designated smoking area and the smoke smell flows into the main dining area. So, I would not call it smoke free anymore. I complained. The waitress said she would tell management. It is a truck stop so I don't expect that to change.

Updated menu: Still have the half pounder however it is on a slightly smaller bun with a little less veggies. However, it is still a big burger. They still have the same great large onion rings and the same amount. Another plus, the half pounder and onion rings are now $4 cheaper. It is a lot to eat.

cslifer
Have seen mention of joes place...get the sirlion sandwich...best thing on the menu....I know not a burger but had to say it.
DontBeTriggered
I used to love Fatburger on University. Is there any place that actually uses local fresh beef for their burgers?
BCStalk
The Bryan one has Ruffinos boxes of ground beef.
wimberley_ag
Koppe Bridge
The Western Bar & Grill in Navasota
wimberley_ag
Fyi...Even though they had amazing burgers, Filling Station es no mas.
Hotard_Exists
AG
Tried Frank's for the first time today. That is one REALLY good burger! Thanks for the recommendation.
australopithecus robustus
Finally had the Stripes burger. It was ok but had that silly thick sweet bread.

Had one at Willie's Icehouse yesterday and it was quite good.

Had the the Texas Ave Old Timey at Cafe Eccell a couple weeks ago and it was really good.
hopeandrealchange
Yankees! Pricey but their burger with a basket of the chip fries and an ice cold PBR pint. Nothing better in the area.
australopithecus robustus
Sorry but that Yankee patty is just too stiff.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.