Credit Card Fraud

19,017 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by InMyOpinion
saturn135
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Everyone please check your accounts, four people, including myself had our credit card numbers stolen today and tried to use at Krogers around the Houston area.
fanof3.88
Happened to us about a month ago. I had two different charges at two different Houston Kroger stores. We verified that we had never been to those stores and was not in Houston at that time. CU got it refunded and we were issued new cards. The card was not stolen, we still had it but the number must have been skimmed.
dgonzo99
It has happened to me 3 times since the new "chip" cards came out; and no, I haven't used the cards online. A lady I talked to at the credit card company said thieves have already figured out how to break the code. Invested in a new wallet that is supposed to keep my cards safe. pacsafe.com Supposedly, people can get some kind of readers that can steal you numbers even in your wallet. The new chip cards are a joke.
Rockdoc
AG
Yep, my chip card started getting fraudulent charges after about 4:00 pm yesterday. Chase caught it within an hour and texted me. I'm in CS, charges in Houston. Card was cancelled. Last night my daughters debit card was compromised. Chip cards are a joke.
Rockdoc
AG
Do the RFID card protector slips work?
dgonzo99
quote:
Do the RFID card protector slips work?
For now, but they will get that figured out pretty soon.
Rockdoc
AG
Well then they need to start requiring a PIN numbers on credit cards like they do debit cards. I'm getting tired of this crud.
clinte234
AG
Our "chip" card got compromised on Sunday evening. Chase United card...it gets compromised 2-3 a year. Really frustrating.
BCStalk
So you are telling me that I was justified when I got mad that Target and Home Depot required me to insert my card? Stating it was safer...Maybe now they can quit wasting my time having to wait 5 minutes for their stupid machine to read.
Rockdoc
AG
Well they better come up with something or else everybody's gonna start writing checks again. I don't know what's gonna happen with ordering on the Internet. I think every time mine has been compromised, it's been local use. Not from online ordering.
MiMi
S
quote:
Well then they need to start requiring a PIN numbers on credit cards like they do debit cards.
Some local business with chip readers do require a PIN, even if the card is run as credit - Lowes and Best Buy required a PIN, even though it was run as credit.
Rockdoc
AG
Mines a credit card with a chip and lowes never requires a PIN. I don't even have a PIN for it
Marlin39m
The ex found a way to stick it to these credit card thieves. She would keep the cards maxed out so that any thief would find that they had wasted their efforts when they tried to use them.
MiMi
S
quote:
Mines a credit card with a chip and lowes never requires a PIN. I don't even have a PIN for it
The card I used at Lowes is a debit card through my credit union with the new chip. I was required to set up a PIN when I activated the card. Even though the machine asked to run as either credit or debit and I chose credit, the PIN had to be entered. With other businesses, I can run it as credit and no PIN is required.

I have an AmEx credit card with the new chip. I have no PIN for this card and have never been asked for one.

In Europe, the 'Chip and PIN' card system is more common and may eventually make its way here.

Chip and PIN
Rapier108
Chip and PIN is what we should have gone to in the US. It isn't foolproof, but it is a lot harder to bypass it for fraud.

Once the credit card companies start seeing that the chip alone didn't prevent fraud, and might have even increased it, they'll push hard for chip and pin.
BCStalk
I wonder how long until the phone payment method is hacked.
Rockdoc
AG
This. You need both unfortunately. It's just too easy to get the card info off the chips with those dang RF card readers. I'll gladly punch in a long PIN if it decreases fraud.
originaltexan
Same thing happened to me.

Tonight AMEX sent an alert to me.

Krogers got declined/not approved in Houston.

Randalls (not sure if declined or approved) but it was removed.

New card on the way.

Amex said maybe it was cloned since there is only one card, and I have it.

Yes, there is a chip in it.

Wonder if the thieves are in College Station and try to steal in Houston.

Most likely skimmers at the gas pumps. Maybe safest to go inside the retailer, say HEB, buy a gift card and use at the gas pumps.
Yuccadoo
No HEB fuel in my cars.
Kate Beckett
AG
Got an email. Someone tried using my Bank of America debit card at Randall's in Houston at 10:20 Tuesday night. They realized it wasn't me and refunded it immediately. And no, my card didn't have a chip in it. Haven't been to a HEB pump in about a year.

ETA: Has anyone shopped at HEB very recently? I went to get groceries at the one at Texas/21 Monday night and I get a bad purchase the next day.
Rockdoc
AG
Just remember if its fraudulent use, you're not liable for the charges, IF it's reported in a timely fashion, or the bank catches it and contacts you. I check my accounts online at least twice a day. And I've got myself down to just one credit card and I don't carry a debit card.
Rockdoc
AG
Yep that's where mine started. Used mine at HEB on Texas@ Holleman at 3:00pm yesterday. Bad charges started coming in at 4:02pm.
LunitadelNox
Chip cards are a load of B.S.

They claim to be safer, but in reality, a large part in their creation was to shift responsibility of faulty charges from the credit card company to the business that takes the card. As of this past October, businesses that don't use the chip reader have to pay the deficit, rather than the credit card company.

Are they safer? Debatable. I've never had my cards compromised until I got a new chip card. Now it's happened twice.

Rapier108
At least with debit cards, even with the chip, it should still require a pin number for a debit transaction.

Just to be safe though, I'll leave mine at home until I get a RF blocking wallet to carry it. I use cash or credit when shopping; the debit card is just for the ATM.
FlyRod
I've noticed more fraud attempts, but also better attention on the part of banks and credit unions to call or text card users warning them. It's a pain when your card is frozen, but I'm grateful for my credit union's ability to inform me immediately and stop a fraud in practice.

I recommend y'all find out what your bank or credit union's policy is to inform you of fraud, and go with the one's who at least try and keep up with the bad guys.
dgonzo99
quote:
Same thing happened to me.

Tonight AMEX sent an alert to me.

Krogers got declined/not approved in Houston.

Randalls (not sure if declined or approved) but it was removed.

New card on the way.

Amex said maybe it was cloned since there is only one card, and I have it.

Yes, there is a chip in it.

Wonder if the thieves are in College Station and try to steal in Houston.

Most likely skimmers at the gas pumps. Maybe safest to go inside the retailer, say HEB, buy a gift card and use at the gas pumps.
When my number was stolen, they always tried to charge in Florida. Some people get very upset when they have to show a drivers license to charge. NOT ME! I give them a huge THANK YOU!
TimsParents
S
RFID sleeves are available free at the BBB
Gig'Em & God Bless
toolshed
AG
I think a PoPo convention store my card info last fall. I tried to use it at Lowe's and it was declined. It had been turned off due to nine $100 purchases at Dunkin Donuts.com. Somebody enjoyed some donuts!
Flatlander
Checked my card this morning after seeing this thread. It had 15 unauthorized charges to various Houston Kroger locations and gas stations this week.

So where did we all go in BCS that compromised our cards?
Rockdoc
AG
Holee crap! Well I'm pretty sure mine was at HEB. What's going on?
Kate Beckett
AG
Only places I used my card in the past week in B/CS

-Grand Station Entertainment
-HEB at 21/Texas
OnlyANobody
It sounds like you guys need to call the police and/or HEB.
Eliminatus
AG
Thanks for the heads up. Check everything and was fine. However, I have been using cash a LOT more these days. In the 15 years since I've had credit cards I've been scammed about a dozen times. Altogether thieves have made off with close to $8K worth of items from me. Bout a year ago I started using cash again. First time in years. It's been a godsend. Plus, it helps curb impulse spending for me.

So now I carry about $60 at any given time locally. Enough for spur of the moments dinners or whatever. Not enough for large purchases so I actually have to put effort into making large purchases now. I keep a credit card in my truck's safe just in case I need a large purchase that requires one. All the rest I keep at my desk at home(where the vast majority of my shopping occurs anyways these days.) It's not a perfect system but been close to two years since I've been hacked so it works for me.

gatormom07
I check our bank & credit card acts almost daily & especially if we're out of town. Several times we've had fraudulent charges & everyone has always been very helpful getting the cards cancelled, etc.
Brewmaster
AG
quote:
No HEB fuel in my cars.
I had a mastercard compromised at Kroger... but generally I like Chevron gasoline better anyway.

Yuccadoo, we need to meet up again soon. The beast is up and running. Only running around 7 psi of boost, but it boogies.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.