Best Tacos in BCS

11,622 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Tailgate88
Ornlu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have you guys seen this? Texas Monthly made a list: http://www.texasmonthly.com/food/best-tacos-bryan-college-station/

Couple of questions:

• How did Fuego get left off?
  • Is Jesse's that good? I live nearby and just haven't ventured in yet.
  • I'm not exactly squeamish or a germaphobe, but last time I was in Garpez I had to say a prayer "Sweet 8lb Baby Jesus, protect me from food poisoning". I haven't seen them on the BCHD naughty list. Food was really good though. Was my experience a one off? Has Garpez cleaned up?
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I love Garpez's breakfast tacos. Never had a bad one. Just because they're in a gas station doesn't make them unsanitary. They are run by a good family too.
malibu9in1
I wanna eat the tacos of the pics the Texas monthly posted. Those look good...
Aggie
AG
How did Fuego get left out?

Because it's overrated / overpriced crap.

Goto any of the dozens and dozens of taquerias in Bryan and let me know if you still go back to Fuego.
PS3D
quote:
How did Fuego get left out?

Because it's overrated / overpriced crap.

Goto any of the dozens and dozens of taquerias in Bryan and let me know if you still go back to Fuego.

I would wager Fuego was left off because it became a chain, with a San Marcos location and two in Waco.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Yep. I'm going with the chain effect. Otherwise, why wouldn't Torchy's be there.

Lists like this are an inherent joke anyway. It's one person's subjective opinion. Whoopty do.
BEaggie08
AG
quote:
Yep. I'm going with the chain effect. Otherwise, why wouldn't Torchy's be there.

Lists like this are an inherent joke anyway. It's one person's subjective opinion. Whoopty do.
Except Torchy's in Austin did make the list.
Post removed:
by user
Broncos
Jesse's has the best breakfast tacos around.
ratfacemcdougal
fajita and egg from pollys on wellborn rd
studioone
el sol de mexico rocks..
michellecan
I'm sticking with Jesse's
stinkerbelle
On the weekends, the little taco trailer in the parking lot of Texaco on Wm. J. Bryan Pkwy across the street from the Sons of Hermann Lodge.
musicforall
Yes, Jesses is very good. Get the green sauce.
Tim Weaver
Coco Loco all the way.

That Green sauce is da bomb.com
Average Joe
AG
quote:
el sol de mexico rocks..

SHHHHHH!!!!! What're you people thinking? If the word gets out then students are going too ruin it.
AggiePhil
AG
We're fortunate to have many great taquerias here. I don't get to visit the Bryan hotspots as much as I'd like but even College Station has its fair share. As for Garpez, the food has always been very good but they fall short when it comes to the service. Yole's in Wellborn is my latest favorite and it has yet to disappoint. Give it a shot if you haven't already.
techno-ag
AG
Glad to see some culinary attention from our state mag. Hope they continue to get out of Austin more often.
Well, okay then
AG
+1 for Jesse's breakfast tacos and green sauce!
bushytailed
AG
Stay away from Jesse's! The line is long enough on Saturdays.

(All kidding aside, their tacos and their green sauce rocks. Jesse is really nice as well.)
Picadillo
OP posts unfair/untrue crap about Garpez. Consistently high scores from Cty Health Dept, and has the best breakfast tacos in town; also on the Texas Monthly Top 50 list. You don't know WTF you're talking about.
australopithecus robustus
Never been to Jesse's. Where is it?

El sol is el so-so

Garpez is pretty good. Consistent.
java94
AG
Love Jesse's, especially the brisket, and the green sauce. Liked el Sol, but I dont have two hours for lunch. Damn, that place is slow. I'm specifically talking about the Texas/Villa Maria location.
marrocco

quote:
Never been to Jesse's. Where is it?

Jesse's is on E. 29th, catty-corner to Bryan High next to Walgreens.
Ornlu
AG
quote:
OP posts unfair/untrue crap about Garpez. Consistently high scores from Cty Health Dept [...]
You mis-characterized my post. I said I went to Garpez once and it was not clean, haven't been back since, and was wondering if I should go back. I said they haven't been knocked by BCHD. It sounds like their customers are pretty enthusiastic though, so I should go try again.
Tailgate88
AG
quote:
Yole's in Wellborn is my latest favorite and it has yet to disappoint. Give it a shot if you haven't already.

Good food - same as Barron Rd location except Yole's doesn't have a few items yet (green pork tacos, enchiladas verde) and the tortillas at Barron are a work of art... Thin, soft, fluffy....
malibu9in1
Peppers on 21, la carreta opposite from it. Both very good!!!
KidDoc
AG
I'm pretty hooked on Mad Taco, their beef short rib is amazing!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
michellecan
Just had breakfast at Jesse's. I totally know how they made Texas Monthly!
K2T2
I want a Jesse's tortilla so big I can wrap myself up in it and fall asleep in its warm embrace on a cold winter night.
taxpreparer
AG
Pepe's, on South College, may be the nest kept secret for breakfast tacos.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
montegobay
Just stopped at Jessie's on my way to teach my class at BHS! Wow! The barbacoa taco is amazing! It's probably not good that I found this place since I drive right by it twice a week.
FlyRod
Good a time as any to mention all the taco trucks in town. The blue one, Dos Hermanos, which is just down the road from Carney's is crazy good off the chain.

Fuego and Jesse's super-size their tacos...they know the eating habits of BCS well.
Kitten With A Whip
DimeBox17
AG
Polly's Cocina
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.