Grandy's

4,588 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by GoneGirl
AggiePirate
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So when are we finally going to get a "Grandy's" in town?
MiMi
S
We used to have one. It shut down many years ago.
Aggie
AG
And it was awesome
Kitten With A Whip
Wish someone would put one here again! Loved Grandy's. They were always busy back in the day. Can't imagine why they didn't rebuild after the fire. Must not have been insured or something.
91_Aggie
AG
Wow. Their food was high school cafeteria grade. Went there.once when it was in town for all you can eat fried chicken or chicken fried steak.

They made money on me that night becauae that was some nasty food.

techno-ag
AG
It was allsome. As I recall, it was in the parking lot in front of Toys R Us.
halibut sinclair
FlyRod
Does anyone actually want a restaurant that's nice to open up here? NM...
Post removed:
by user
EMY92
AG
It's been years since I've been through Abilene, but 10+ years ago, there was still one open there. I did stop and eat there.

Looking at Google street view, as of May 2013 there is still a Grandy's on Buffalo Gap Road just north of the mall in Abilene. That's the only location that I know of that's still open.
AgsWin2011
AG
Their breakfast and breakfast buffet is the MF'n tits! I hardly ever went for lunch or dinner.
AgsWin2011
AG
quote:
It's been years since I've been through Abilene, but 10+ years ago, there was still one open there. I did stop and eat there.

Looking at Google street view, as of May 2013 there is still a Grandy's on Buffalo Gap Road just north of the mall in Abilene. That's the only location that I know of that's still open.
I went to Abilene last Monday to visit friends and just ride around. I grew up there my whole life until I graduated high school and went to A&M. I drove by the Grandy's on Buffalo Gap and it's still there across the street from my beloved Taco Bueno. I lived near Denton for a couple years after college and there was a Grandy's there close to the Golden Triangle Mall. There's also one in Lewisville on I-35E close to 1171 I think.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
quote:

Aw, man! Come on! Who doesn't love cutting their chicken fried steak with a plastic knife and fork?
Tailgate88
AG
Used to live in Briarwood back when Grandy's was right across the street. Great late night or brunch option.
PS3D
1002 East Harvey Road
MB19
AG
quote:
Screw it. I'm gonna apply for a Grandy's franchise and put that SOB over in Tower Point.
AgsWin2011
AG
quote:
quote:
Screw it. I'm gonna apply for a Grandy's franchise and put that SOB over in Tower Point.

Don't mess with our fast food emotions bro!
MB19
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Don't mess with our fast food emotions bro!
{Insert diabolical laughter here}
Kitten With A Whip
quote:
quote:

I went to Abilene last Monday to visit friends and just ride around. I grew up there my whole life until I graduated high school and went to A&M. I drove by the Grandy's on Buffalo Gap and it's still there across the street from my beloved Taco Bueno. I lived near Denton for a couple years after college and there was a Grandy's there close to the Golden Triangle Mall. There's also one in Lewisville on I-35E close to 1171 I think.
There are a number of Grandy's in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area. The closest to B/CS, that I know of, is on I-35 West in Italy, Texas. It's not too far from Hillsboro. It looks nicely run, very clean and had good food. A couple of the ones I've seen around Ft. Worth are pretty sketchy looking just from the outside. I didn't bother to venture inside.
ratfacemcdougal
Church's Chicken has a Chicken Fried Steak dinner that reminded me of the Grandys CFS
techno-ag
AG
quote:
quote:

A friend told me Denton had a lot of old retail stuff, at least a few years ago. They had a K-Mart and a Piggly-Wiggly among other things.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
quote:
And I will be there opening day. May have to get physical with a certain taco critic to insure I'm the first in line.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
No more Piggy Wiggly stores in Texas. Mostly in South Carolina now.
MB19
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
And I will be there opening day. May have to get physical with a certain taco critic to insure I'm the first in line.
I'm gonna get you both a set of brass knuckles and let you two duke it out.
FlyRod
Having seen pics of said taco critic, my money's on Bill in a brass knuckle duel.
duffelpud
AG

Piggly Wiggly locations.
duffelpud
AG
Grandy's Locations.
Builder93
AG
I remember when the Grandy's here closed. Rumor was foreign substance in the gravy......
dgonzo99
I was always told that Grandy's was forced out by the other merchants. There were many complaints that Grandy's blocked the view of the other stores. Now, I think they would be welcomed back with open arms. I never see many cars at all at that center any time of the day, even during the Xmas season.
Tailgate88
AG
So does Pier 1 not block the view? Or the mattress place that replaced it?
cfs12
Grandy's was out in the middle of the parking lot and Cavender's was where Pier One/the mattress store is now.
ThatSneakyAzzAleppoMoment
quote:
I remember when the Grandy's here closed. Rumor was foreign substance in the gravy......
Secret sauce.
GoneGirl
AG
quote:
I worked there for about a month when I was in HS. We would have to stay and clean the place after it closed, and the manager would lock all the doors then leave for the night, saying he was "stopping by bank to make the deposit."

We had to climb out the drive-through window. My mom made me quit when she found out about that, and because I never got home until about midnight.

Later, that same manager was fired/arrested. Apparently not all of the deposit was making it to the bank.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.