Mountain Lion

21,701 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by TAMU1990
Bearkat272
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I saw a mountain lion on Elmo Weedon today. Has anyone else ever seen those in this area?
BCStalk
Just talking about a possible one in Bastrop. Nothing confirmed though
momlaw
AG
They are known to travel around the Navasota River. Neighbors in Pebble Creek have them on wild life cameras along the perimeter of the neighborhood. Several years ago a friend observed one, large as a lab walking into woods from Saint Andrew, Spearman at daybreak. So, it is quite possible.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Seen one before
FlyRod
Y'all sure? I didn't think those things lived outside Big Bend in Texas. With all the deer and feral hog around here, plenty of prey though. Friends of mine in Tucson have had some issues with those beasts.

Had a close encounter with a big one at an elk camp and it was not fun...
momlaw
AG
Friend shared personal experience. Nextdoor conversations and posts years later provided first hand evidence. Yep, they are around here. Domestic critters left outside to fend for themselves may not survive.

Personally, I consider them beautiful creatures and hope they find a way to survive in the encroaching human environment.
aggiepaintrain
AG
I'm 99% sure I saw one in PC about 6 years ago.
FJB
momlaw
AG
That is the time frame my friend saw one walking south into the woods behind St. Andrews houses at Spearman.
NativeTxn
I have seen and heard them at our place in Lee County, right along the Yegua Creek. My sister and I heard one scream after getting home from a dance one night. She and I met at the back door, I was running in and she was coming out... Scared the crap out of both of us. We each thought it was the other screaming, but we soon found that wasn't the case. The next morning my dad found big cat prints right in the yard. He used to see them while out hunting in the creek bottom, as well, which borders Burleson County. I can't imagine why they wouldn't be in Brazos County.
jrhmc
AG
I used to hear one in the back of our property in East Texas when I was a child. We called them cougars or panthers but same creature. I think they roam all of Texas. Here's the link to the TDWD publication on Mountain Lions in Texas. https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_br_w7000_0232.pdf
studioone
saw one a few months ago at Avalon (millican area, between 6 and millican on 159.
Brewmaster
AG

counties with confirmed populations in 1995... I just read that their populations are increasing in Post Oak Savannah (amongst Pineywoods and a couple other Texas ecosystems). We have plenty of Post Oak Savannah around here. A male mountain lion's home range is 80 to 200 square miles!

http://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2352562/2
a thread from a couple years ago... the last poster reports they see them all the time in Normangee - that is plenty close enough to B/CS

The explosion in wild hog populations is probably a good food source for them.
EBrazosAg
AG
They are not common but not unheard of in the area. My understanding from TPWD is that it's usually adolescent males looking for a territory to call their own. The linked story was covered pretty heavily about 10 years ago - 700 miles in 9 months is a long way for a critter.
http://www.mountainlion.org/newsstory.asp?news_id=51
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
FlyRod
That old thread makes it clear that the majority of sightings appear to be something else...bobcat, large house cat, yellow lab, etc. People's minds are very good at playing tricks on them.
ursusguy
AG
Confirmation bias.

This thread helps it.
Potlicker
AG
Lol... They're around...
gigemags03
AG
I saw a bobcat running across the street from the Emerald Forest playground into the wooded area about 3 years ago. I couldn't get my phone out fast enough for a picture, but I got a good look at him.
FlyRod
I hope they don't have to compete with that "Texas Bigfoot" that is described on display at the Navarro County rest stop. Class of the Texas cryptids!
w8liftr
Double post.
w8liftr
I saw a bobcat in Hensel Park while mountain biking last week. And, no, it wasn't an overgrown feral cat. That was my first thought but it definitely had the traits of a bobcat.
techno-ag
AG
I saw a bobcat off Hwy 21 and the Navasota bridge a few years ago. Beautiful creature.
Belton Ag
AG
I saw one in 2005 leaving a jobsite just off business 6 on the south side of Navasota. It was way too big to be a bobcat - it was the size of a very large dog. I was reluctant to tell anyone before I talked to one of my best friends who is a wildlife biologist and does contract work for the State because I didn't think anyone would believe me. He told me they definitely exist in our area and he said he's observed them out in the field before as well.
SchnauzerMom
OP, growing up I lived off of Grassbur and would joyride down in the river bottom. Saw a huge one cross the road right in front of us so they are definitely in the Elmo Weedon area.
halibut sinclair
I saw a puma in the crevice.
AggiePirate
AG
First they show up somewhere on your land or your neighbors land. Then next thing you know.

Lex
Grandma swears she sees one on the reg in Normangee.
welborn
They're around, along with other long tailed cats. I own land in northern grimes county and have seen and heard several over the years while hog or coon hunting. The last panther I've seen dead was shot by my uncle in 2003 @ about 6am in an open hay field. Not surprised to learn of a sighting here in brazos county at all.
FlyRod
Other long tailed cats?
Hammerheadjim
AG
Panther, Jaguar, ring tailed cat..
All have a likelihood of .005% of being seen east of the Pecos R.
Lex
Wast!

My favorite direction!
FlyRod
Doth thou planneth on heading wast?
Lex
I would assume the Aggieland board posters who are talking about these critters aren't Wast of the Pecos River.
Well, okay then
AG
Saw one Aug. 2005 off West Villa Maria where they were building Traditions. Didn't look 100% full grown, so since that could've meant there was a mother near by I turned around quickly and left. I did report it to TPWD.
ursusguy
AG
Reported doesn't mean verified. I worked 10-15 sightings a year for 12 years, and never confirmed 1. Most were farmers, ranchers and/or hunters who "knew" what they saw.

The best are old timers, "I know what I saw"....five minutes later "son, I'm legally blind".

Certainly not saying it couldn't happen, but there's a real strong reason to be skeptical.
AggiePirate
AG
quote:
Grandma swears she sees one on the reg in Normangee.
At least shes trying. She deserves happiness too.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.