Thanksgiving dinner in peril

3,619 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by SumAggie
milner79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Oven decided to break. Won't heat. Broiler works though. Home Depot and Lowes don't sell heating elements. Any ideas on repair options? As it stands now, we're looking at an all-salad Turkey Day.
Blessings to all..
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Got a grill? You can use a grill like an oven when needed.
TXAggie1976
AG
I am not a cook but couldn't you prepare things on the stove and buy a roaster at HEB for your turkey, they were below less than $20. Or get a smoker to save the day?? So sorry..i know not of which I speak.
Worst case buy turkey, Ham cooked at Krogers, with their cooked dressing, add some veggies and maybe start new traditions !
toolshed
AG
I assume it's an electric oven? You aren't likely to find parts anywhere on thanksgiving, or a repair man.

I have an oil-less infrared turkey cooker you can borrow, assuming you are in bcs. It runs off a propane bottle, you place the turkey upright on a rack inside and it turns out just like a fried turkey in a couple hours or less. We are leaving town around 9-9:30, if you need it, let me know before then.

As mentioned, inspect heat or an offset grill could be used to cook dressing I assume, you just need a hot box to cook it in. As long as the heat isn't directly under the pan, it should cook fine, though a little more labor watching it maybe. Not sure what all is on your menu.
Jayjay4268
AG
Buy a fryer!

If you already have the turkey, the fryer is like $50. Not sure about the oil. Faster cook time too!
BlueMiles
AG
Read this thread on the Food and Spirits board to learn more about the cooker that toolshed is offering to let you borrow.

http://texags.com/forums/67/topics/2693622
AgResearch
AG

milner79
Thanks everyone for your rapid responses. And thanks toolshed for the offer. I think we are going to go the grill route. A very happy and safe Thanksgiving to all. God bless Texas A&M and God bless America.
toolshed
AG
So, how did the non traditional cooking method turn out?
CapeAggie89
AG
Probably not for today but the Sears parts center next to the mall is worth checking out. I purchased a new heater element for my dryer on a Sunday. Easy fix and saved the day as I was flying out of the country the next day and had wet clothes that I needed for the trip.

Not sure they will have it but worth calling them. Make sure to have all the model information
91_Aggie
AG
quote:
Probably not for today but the Sears parts center next to the mall is worth checking out. I purchased a new heater element for my dryer on a Sunday. Easy fix and saved the day as I was flying out of the country the next day and had wet clothes that I needed for the trip.

Not sure they will have it but worth calling them. Make sure to have all the model information

FYI. Look up "laundromat" next time.
Turtle88
AG
Buddy's appliance carries them also. I bought one a few years ago and installed it myself.
milner79
quote:

Thanks for the tip.
milner79
quote:
Buddy's appliance carries them also. I bought one a few years ago and installed it myself.
Thanks for the tip.
milner79
quote:
So, how did the non traditional cooking method turn out?
Wound up keeping the turkey frozen for another day. On the advice of a friend, made dressing in a crockpot. I fried up some turkey sausage (which was intended for the dressing anyway) and then lightly toasted and crumbled up some hotdog buns found in my college students pantry ... since I couldn't make my biscuits and cornbread... and it worked out just fine. Plenty of salads to go with the dressing. All in all, a good reminder that what is put on the table is not what matters; who is at the table does.

Hope your day was a good one. BTHO LSU.
EMY92
AG
quote:
quote:
Thanks for the tip.
Find the the right part # on line, then search Amazon. I replaced one in my oven several months ago for $20, it was Prime eligible so I got it in 2 days.

It's a 2 minute job.
mgreen
This happened to us a couple hears ago and we called Buddy's Appliance. We were shocked when we opened gve door and it was Buddy himself. He said he was not going to let an oven spoil our Thanksgiving. Wow. He has our business for life.
SumAggie
Buddy is an awesome guy!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.