High school needs a general life skill class

2,427 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by AggiePirate
aggierandomsaying
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This would be a very, very broad learning class. People need to know how to change a tire/oil if needed. Someone to tell them what deductibles and co-pays are and how to fill out a 1040 EZ form without paying HR block to do it. O.r just general knowledge that when you ride a bike YOU HAVE TO FOLLOW THE SAME LAWS THAT CARS HAVE TO FOLLOW. See how I hid the bike rider gripe. But seriously, I almost creamed an old man that just blew through a 4-way stop. I had already come to a stop and was about to turn left and he flew right through the intersection. So if you are on a bike and you hit my truck when I legally turn, you will be responsible for my dent and your own broken bones.

Please add any life skills that you'd like to see in my fictitious class.

Change a diaper, set a bone with a splint, make fire, prevent hangovers...
SoTheySay
S
There are students who do not know how to write a check or mail anything or even their own zip code.
AggieWife2008
S
I learned all of those "life skills" from my parents. Is that not a thing anymore?
FlyRod
I predict great things for this thread.
aggiegal99
There are high school courses that teach most of those things.
K2T2
quote:
prevent hangovers...
Yep, and they can teach them how to create a fake ID to get that alcohol, too!
InMyOpinion
quote:
I learned all of those "life skills" from my parents. Is that not a thing anymore?

This is the answer.

EOT
Frio Cielo
What is this "check" thing that you speak of?

quote:
This would be a very, very broad learning class. People need to know how to change a tire/oil if needed. Someone to tell them what deductibles and co-pays are and how to fill out a 1040 EZ form without paying HR block to do it. O.r just general knowledge that when you ride a bike YOU HAVE TO FOLLOW THE SAME LAWS THAT CARS HAVE TO FOLLOW. See how I hid the bike rider gripe. But seriously, I almost creamed an old man that just blew through a 4-way stop. I had already come to a stop and was about to turn left and he flew right through the intersection. So if you are on a bike and you hit my truck when I legally turn, you will be responsible for my dent and your own broken bones.

Please add any life skills that you'd like to see in my fictitious class.

Change a diaper, set a bone with a splint, make fire, prevent hangovers...
rhoswen
AG
What you're talking about is parenting.

And no, not everyone needs to know how to change a baby or set a bone. Or drive for that matter if you're never going to get a license.
EVA3
AG
I agree: Parenting

I'll add:
Please.
Thank you.
Excuse me.
You're welcome.
AgResearch
AG
quote:
I agree: Parenting

I'll add:
Please.
Thank you.
Excuse me.
You're welcome.

Yes sir, no sir
Yes ma'am, no ma'am

All parenting.
Stupe
S
Unfortunately, there are kids that lose parents.
AgResearch
AG
quote:
Unfortunately, there are kids that lose parents.

Yes, my dad died when I was young. My mom still raised us boys with all the life skills needed to be men.
Firefighter7
My uncle told me that he was floored because his son, who is a junior in high school, did not know how to address an envelope when sending out thank you cards.
Buford T. Justice
AG
Let's not dance around the elephant in the room.
There are quite a few kids that have sh"--; parents, and don't learn anything positive from them. Without classes like these, they would likely never learn these basics.
Post removed:
by user
FlyRod
Kids today need to learn how to tie an onion on their belts...which was the style at the time.
aggierandomsaying
AG
I agree parents should be teaching all of this, but they are not. As for the fella on the bike, he was probably 70+. Something about an old dog turning new tricks or something.

And teach your kids how to tie a tie.
I'm a huge advocate for yes mam or sir, but I loathe when someone says "yeah".
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
To have this class, the schools would need to add an hour to the school day or drop a subject. Most subjects are required by the State and Federal government guidelines.

Nice thought but it is not going to happen. If parents are not involved, kids will get dumber every year.

91_Aggie
AG
The cyclist thing wont be fixed by a class. You have all the "professional" cyclists that want to lynch any motorist that doesnt know they have the same right to the road as they do.

But everyone of them picks and chooses which laws of the road should apply to them, especially not stopping at intersections

And by "professional" i mean the ones dressed in there Lance Armstrong clown suit lycra uniform, as if they really are going to benefit from that little.extra amount of aerodynamic help.
MiMi
S
Some of these bicyclists really take their lives in their own hands. Yesterday, I thought of this thread as one blew through a stop sign while riding on the sidewalk when I was about to turn right.
AggieDarlin
AG
An old man ran a stop sign and he's more likely to be from a generation that spent time and money teaching classes in high school that taught "life skills".

Now, there's Google.

Don't know how to change a tire? Fire up youtube.
FlyRod
quote:
There are students who do not know how to write a check or mail anything or even their own zip code.

One tiny example of how "life skills" change. More and more banks, credit unions, etc. are phasing out paper checks in favor of online banking (a life skill that perhaps the youth need to teach the seniors?). You rarely see anyone writing a check anymore expect for the occasional very elderly person in line at checkout.

As for changing diapers, well...the true life skill will be maintaining the diaper-changing robots that Elon Musk is about to unleash on us.
95_Aggie
AG
quote:
Change a diaper
Aren't a lot of them learning this already?
BlazeHarper
how to be alone an empty room for over an hour
Lance Uppercut
AG
Grew up in College Station:

quote:
People need to know how to change a tire/oil if needed

Covered in driver's ed. through the school.

quote:
when you ride a bike YOU HAVE TO FOLLOW THE SAME LAWS THAT CARS HAVE TO FOLLOW

Covered in driver's ed. and in rants from the jr. high wellness coach.

quote:
set a bone with a splint

Covered in jr. high wellness, though having never thought about it again since, you'd be in trouble if you needed me to set a bone with a splint. Also covered how to treat burns, cuts, etc. The lesson was complete with graphic photos.

quote:
or mail anything or even their own zip code.

We did this in 2nd grade. We had international pen pals or something like that.

quote:
Change a diaper

There was a home economics class that covered this.

quote:
I'll add:
Please.
Thank you.

Our sophomore literature teacher wouldn't let us in the door the first week of class without a firm handshake, look in the eye, and introduction. Some people took longer than others, but she was willing to wait. "You won't get anywhere in life with a limpy, wimpy handshake" was the first week's lesson. I still remember that.

quote:
how to be alone an empty room for over an hour

We were sent to do nature journals on our own during a unit on Thoreau. Not sure everyone else went to commune with nature, but the teacher sure tried.

quote:
prevent hangovers

We were bombarded with the recommendation of abstinence from drugs and alcohol in DARE from elementary school until we were released on the world.

I can't remember being shown how to fill out tax forms or checks, but having been taught how to read at school, I was more than prepared for the challenge when it came around. Not to mention no one really writes checks anymore.

Just like a kid was probably taught the difference between your/you're, their/there/they're, and its/it's somewhere along the way (I'm looking at you,Texags), you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him remember how to set a bone with a splint. The College Station schools sure tried their best.

AggiePirate
AG
quote:

I can't remember being shown how to fill out tax forms or checks, but having been taught how to read at school, I was more than prepared for the challenge when it came around. Not to mention no one really writes checks anymore.

Career class in 8th grade at Sam Rayburn in Bryan.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.