No renters allowed neighborhood

10,683 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by jon gruden is intelligent
LOYAL AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I've lived in the same house for the last 25 yrs. my wife and I raised our kids in this house. When we bought it, everybody had little kids. Over the years we had people move up and others move in. Some people held their houses for rentals and those people who lived in the homes first normally made good choices in who they rented to, and usually there wasn't any issues. We've had some students who've had bible study groups and parked all up and down the street, who would get upset for anything like that. The exception came when we had some kids move in 5 boys in a 4 bedroom house, so we had 4 trucks and 1 car on days their girlfriends weren't there. I can't tell you how many times I would pick up cans on Sunday mornings some days even one of the boys would even help pick them up. I never complained, no one called the cops, I figured what the heck, I went to A&M, the boys were being boys, and they weren't that loud. That changed their last semester. They got a couple of new roomies one with a couple of mean dogs. They had a party, forgot to close the gate, and the roomie let the dogs out. I'm standing in my yard picking up cans and the two dogs make a bee line into my yard and attack my daughters cat. They maul the cat. We tak the cat to the vet school and long story short we get a 1200 vet bill and ultimately the cat dies. The boy that owned the house told my wife the we should have shot the cat. Put it out of their misery and they refuse to pay the vet bill. Tells me he's graduating and I can forget ever getting the vet bill. Two weeks later I'm mowing my yard and a couple of cars pull up. One is a parent looking to buy the house for his kid the other is the realtor. I ask the parent, is your son planning on living here or are you moving your family. I'm told the boy. I told the parent the previous owners used up all the good will from the neighbors. We will call cops. The guy got in his car and left. The next day the owners mom drove down from North Texas to ***** me out in my driveway. I had to go to small claim court to get the vet bill. Bottom line this is a college town and renters are expected, but if shown respect we can be friends and coexist, if not it's not my first rodeo.

This. I've had students as neighbors and we got along great with rarely a problem. But I've been around this town for a long time and have worked around companies who manage properties and ones who do repairs between semesters. Students in general aren't good tenants and they aren't good neighbors for families. The idea that families in BCS shouldn't desire to have other families around them has to be the silliest thing I've read anywhere on this site in a very long time.
SumAggie
the "no more than 4 unrelated in a house" rule in College Station is a sad joke. We have 5 cars/trucks next door all the time and have up to 15 some nights when they are partying. Same experience as Loyal Ag.... Constantly cleaning up their mess on my lawn.
DanHo2010
AG
quote:
quote:
Awful lot of people in this town like shoving a stick in the eye of its reason for being.

Nothing could be further from the truth and it's an absurd interpretation of what's being said here. I live in an acreage subdivision with an average valuation of probably $650K, maybe higher. Students moving in and renting a house out here, given the normal level of upkeep students perform on the properties they occupy, would without question make this place less desirable. That doesn't mean I don't love Texas A&M or the students and their contribution to the local economy. What it means is that students aren't good tenants when it comes to repairs and maintenance and that in a place like mine their home would invariably be the worst looking place in the community. Sorry if that offends you.

My son is 1-1/2 years from starting at A&M and we're certain that he won't live somewhere with him upkeep. No sense in it from our perspective. he can't even keep his room clean, forget maintaining a lawn and landscaping!
Hey, I totally agree with you that students are bad neighbors. I don't like picking beer cans and half empty bottles of antifreeze that could kill the dog out of my backyard any more than you do. But living in a town with 50,000 students and then complaining when some are nearby is like moving to Dodge City and complaining that it smells like manure. Living here is a trade-off, just like everything else.
cagwell10
AG
So, I get the idea behind not wanting to have renters in your neighborhood. Investment homes = renters = college students = an awesome ****ing time. But how is this not predatory lending? "We don't like 'em, so get 'em out!"
PS3D
quote:
quote:
quote:
Awful lot of people in this town like shoving a stick in the eye of its reason for being.

Nothing could be further from the truth and it's an absurd interpretation of what's being said here. I live in an acreage subdivision with an average valuation of probably $650K, maybe higher. Students moving in and renting a house out here, given the normal level of upkeep students perform on the properties they occupy, would without question make this place less desirable. That doesn't mean I don't love Texas A&M or the students and their contribution to the local economy. What it means is that students aren't good tenants when it comes to repairs and maintenance and that in a place like mine their home would invariably be the worst looking place in the community. Sorry if that offends you.

My son is 1-1/2 years from starting at A&M and we're certain that he won't live somewhere with him upkeep. No sense in it from our perspective. he can't even keep his room clean, forget maintaining a lawn and landscaping!
Hey, I totally agree with you that students are bad neighbors. I don't like picking beer cans and half empty bottles of antifreeze that could kill the dog out of my backyard any more than you do. But living in a town with 50,000 students and then complaining when some are nearby is like moving to Dodge City and complaining that it smells like manure. Living here is a trade-off, just like everything else.
That's kind of point of the post, a neighborhood where there's no renters. Apparently, some of you think that's a bad thing.
Gigem314
AG

quote:
Living here is a trade-off, just like everything else.

Of course it is. But that trade-off goes both ways. People aren't entitled to rent in any area they please with no level of standard in place.
hopeandrealchange
quote:
If I were moving into a neighborhood, I'd consider that restriction a big positive. In general, renters don't take care of the house or yards as well as an owner would.
Emy 92 I agree with the first part of your statement but your general statement I disagree with. I own rental properties here in College Station and those of us who live here and manage our own properties hear this all of the time. When in fact our properties are maintained better than most owner occupied.
hopeandrealchange
I wish I could count the hundreds of hours I have spent dealing with people and city staff fussing about College rentals in College Station, Texas. All of the beer cans and dog crap and drunk Aggies pissing on my roses, loud music, cars parked in my driveway. I have heard it all many many times. I always have one very simple question. Did you call the cops? "Well no". Believe it or not there are ordinances in the city for believe it or not parking, beer cans, dog crap and pissing on roses. If the city staff sees this thread we will all be in another three years of neighbor hood planning to come up with a bunch more silly ordinances to duplicate the ones we already have that are not being enforced because no one will file a complaint except on a darn message board. Wheeeew. Sorry for the vent. Seriously folks if you have a problem with a neighbor communicate with the neighbor first and the city second and do not put to much time between the two.

http://cstx.gov/index.aspx?page=331 Code enforcement link.
originaltexan
Not enforceable.

Every now and then, you see HOA's that want to define the family so that the deed restrictions allow a single family.

The problem is this. There are about 45,749 lawyers waiting to sue for any type of discrimination. There are about 2897 activists groups that have all kinds of money. Factor in these numbers, and HOA's would only last about one minute in a courtroom before they were out of money.

Imagine an HOA stating the definition of a family.
SoTheySay
S
It has been enforced in CS in recent years.
halibut sinclair
quote:
Not enforceable.

Every now and then, you see HOA's that want to define the family so that the deed restrictions allow a single family.

The problem is this. There are about 45,749 lawyers waiting to sue for any type of discrimination. There are about 2897 activists groups that have all kinds of money. Factor in these numbers, and HOA's would only last about one minute in a courtroom before they were out of money.

It's enforceable in Bryan. City zoning ordinance - the Residential Neighborhood Conservation District.

In 'R-NC' Districts, only two individuals who are not related to each other (by blood, marriage or adoption) can legally live in a single-family dwelling.
Rexter
quote:
Not enforceable.

Incorrect on the unenforceable comment. It has happened in Shenandoah, and is in the process of happening again.
Lone Stranger
Was successfully enforced in the Deacon/Welsh area. Waco dad buys house for son to live in and rent to son's friends. Deed restrictions in that area prohibit renting to other than a single family. Out of town owner turns around and threatens real estate agent because the dad specifically told the agent what they were looking to do and the agent showed and helped them close on the house in question. Imagine real estate agents that don't look at legal deed restrictions....or maybe don't care as long as they get their commission. In that case the agent ended up learning a lesson.....maybe.
Rexter
Family is through the second line of consanguinity for living arrangements.
jon gruden is intelligent
quote:
I've lived in the same house for the last 25 yrs. my wife and I raised our kids in this house. When we bought it, everybody had little kids. Over the years we had people move up and others move in. Some people held their houses for rentals and those people who lived in the homes first normally made good choices in who they rented to, and usually there wasn't any issues. We've had some students who've had bible study groups and parked all up and down the street, who would get upset for anything like that. The exception came when we had some kids move in 5 boys in a 4 bedroom house, so we had 4 trucks and 1 car on days their girlfriends weren't there. I can't tell you how many times I would pick up cans on Sunday mornings some days even one of the boys would even help pick them up. I never complained, no one called the cops, I figured what the heck, I went to A&M, the boys were being boys, and they weren't that loud. That changed their last semester. They got a couple of new roomies one with a couple of mean dogs. They had a party, forgot to close the gate, and the roomie let the dogs out. I'm standing in my yard picking up cans and the two dogs make a bee line into my yard and attack my daughters cat. They maul the cat. We tak the cat to the vet school and long story short we get a 1200 vet bill and ultimately the cat dies. The boy that owned the house told my wife the we should have shot the cat. Put it out of their misery and they refuse to pay the vet bill. Tells me he's graduating and I can forget ever getting the vet bill. Two weeks later I'm mowing my yard and a couple of cars pull up. One is a parent looking to buy the house for his kid the other is the realtor. I ask the parent, is your son planning on living here or are you moving your family. I'm told the boy. I told the parent the previous owners used up all the good will from the neighbors. We will call cops. The guy got in his car and left. The next day the owners mom drove down from North Texas to ***** me out in my driveway. I had to go to small claim court to get the vet bill. Bottom line this is a college town and renters are expected, but if shown respect we can be friends and coexist, if not it's not my first rodeo.

Is your "enter" key broken?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.