No renters allowed neighborhood

10,591 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by jon gruden is intelligent
BigBubba
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I saw the following real estate posting for a house in Stone Forest neighborhood in south College Station. -> http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/318-Sapphire-Dr_College-Station_TX_77845_M73922-35942

I noticed at the bottom of the description it says "NO INVESTORS ALLOWED-no rental in subdivision".

Is this true, Stone Forest does not allow rentals? If so, how exactly do they restrict it? Is it part of their deed restrictions? Heck, Pebble Creek has rentals so I am surprised Stone Forest would not.
Goose83
AG
Probably in the restrictions. A good thing too, or you would have another neighborhood overrun with students.
FlyRod
How dare those students want to live in a residential area in a college town!
redd38
AG
deed restriction
BigBubba
AG
Do you now for a fact that it is a deed restriction? I just find it odd that Stone Forest would have a deed restriction against renters but Pebble Creek, Castle Gate and other south College Station neighborhoods don't have this restriction.
AggieWife2008
S
Stone forest Deed Restrictions:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3-jCnJGZf_IUXpoUnJvRHRncEk/view
BigBubba
AG
3.33 Room and Board Plans. No owner shall permit and Lot or Improvement on any Lot to be used in whole or in part by tenants on rooming or boarding plans or contracts, or both, of any type.

I guess the above is the part of the deed restrictions that prohibits renters. Now the big question, is this a good thing or bad thing? If I was wanting to buy in that neighborhood, would I consider this a positive or negative? And if it is such a positive then why don't more neighborhoods have this restriction?

I don't see the restriction really helping with keeping college students out of the neighborhood. I know there are plenty of parents that buy properties as a 4-5 year investment and let their kids live in them while going to college. Having a "no renter" policy doesn't prevent this. Instead, a better deed restriction is the one that limits the number of unrelated people living in the house and many neighborhoods have this restriction, including Stone Forest.

I imagine a lot of people might view this restriction as a negative, not because they are planning to rent their house but because they can't if "something happens".

What if the housing market is way down and your job gets transferred to another city. Or you take an overseas position for a couple years? Or you lose your job? Or your spouse is sick and can't afford mortgage at the moment? Ideally, in any of these situations, you might rent for a couple years until the prices go back up and then sell. But, you can't.

Instead, you are forced into a situation of letting the home sit (earning no rental income) or sell it at the current low market price. This very much could have been the case for anybody a few years ago before the prices went back up. In fact, this particular house is a foreclosure which makes you wonder if this exact situation might have occurred to the owner.
EMY92
AG
If I were moving into a neighborhood, I'd consider that restriction a big positive. In general, renters don't take care of the house or yards as well as an owner would.
SoTheySay
S
This is not the only neighborhood with the specific restrictions. And I know that at least three of the neighborhoods that have this restriction will enforce it.
BigBubba
AG
Followup question: How do they enforce it?
Gigem314
AG
quote:
Some people want to invest their hard-earned money into living around others that keep normal hours and take care of their property. Nothing wrong with that.
kraut
AG
quote:
3.33 Room and Board Plans. No owner shall permit and Lot or Improvement on any Lot to be used in whole or in part by tenants on rooming or boarding plans or contracts, or both, of any type.

I guess the above is the part of the deed restrictions that prohibits renters. Now the big question, is this a good thing or bad thing? If I was wanting to buy in that neighborhood, would I consider this a positive or negative? And if it is such a positive then why don't more neighborhoods have this restriction?

I don't see the restriction really helping with keeping college students out of the neighborhood. I know there are plenty of parents that buy properties as a 4-5 year investment and let their kids live in them while going to college. Having a "no renter" policy doesn't prevent this. Instead, a better deed restriction is the one that limits the number of unrelated people living in the house and many neighborhoods have this restriction, including Stone Forest.

I imagine a lot of people might view this restriction as a negative, not because they are planning to rent their house but because they can't if "something happens".

What if the housing market is way down and your job gets transferred to another city. Or you take an overseas position for a couple years? Or you lose your job? Or your spouse is sick and can't afford mortgage at the moment? Ideally, in any of these situations, you might rent for a couple years until the prices go back up and then sell. But, you can't.

Instead, you are forced into a situation of letting the home sit (earning no rental income) or sell it at the current low market price. This very much could have been the case for anybody a few years ago before the prices went back up. In fact, this particular house is a foreclosure which makes you wonder if this exact situation might have occurred to the owner.
I would venture a guess that there is a clause similar to that one in Pebble Creek's deed restrictions.
FlyRod
quote:
Some people want to invest their hard-earned money into living around others that keep normal hours and take care of their property. Nothing wrong with that.

Yup. And they're investing their hard-earned money in a college town, where college students live and attend the reason the place they're investing their hard-earned money in exists. Which is to say, students living in residential areas one way or another is a fact.

Another poster already pointed out the obvious, that parents are "investing their hard-earned money" in properties all over (yes, including Pebble Creek) and then having their kids (students) and friends live there.

A no rent clause may keep out some types of tenants...but not students,

Nom de Plume
AG
This argument is always fun.

Why is FlyRod trolling?
Post removed:
by user
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
If I were moving into a neighborhood, I'd consider that restriction a big positive. In general, renters don't take care of the house or yards as well as an owner would.
My street in Shenandoah is becoming a rental haven and I can't stand it. Not really college students, but people who don't give a rat's ass about any upkeep of the property. I wish we had this restriction.
Gigem314
AG
quote:
Yup. And they're investing their hard-earned money in a college town, where college students live and attend the reason the place they're investing their hard-earned money in exists.
Great. I don't see what that has to do with the reasonable fact that most people want to invest their money in an area that's going to hold its value and be kept up by others that have an interest in taking care of where they live and don't bother those around them.

quote:
Which is to say, students living in residential areas one way or another is a fact.
Not all areas. And if they're in a mid to high valued neighborhood with very few rentals, there will likely be restrictions meet certain standards. Which is going to deter people that would otherwise not take care of their property. There are other areas where the restrictions are more lax, and those will have lower property values but have a place for people to rent that don't keep things up. There's a place a for everyone. But frowning upon deed restrictions for higher valued areas is just silly.

quote:
Another poster already pointed out the obvious, that parents are "investing their hard-earned money" in properties all over (yes, including Pebble Creek) and then having their kids (students) and friends live there.

A no rent clause may keep out some types of tenants...but not students
There are clauses for that too in some areas, requiring the actual owners to be local residents.
FlyRod
quote:
NIMBYs... no longer concentrated on Munson.

Yep. Its not just the population of wealthy olds moving here that is growing, but the students as well, if Dear Leader's vision comes to fruition (which I TRUST it will). Its a noble sentiment to think the two can remain segregated, but the history of development and growth suggests otherwise.

So no...not trolling at all...merely suggesting that you don't get your hopes up about your dream community staying that way, as this area continues to change rapidly.
Gigem314
AG
No one is saying "dream community". Just a clean community with reasonable folks that actually have an interest in keeping up what they own. Not sure why you seem to have a problem with that.
Frio Cielo
I was told by a well known real estate attorney here in town that a HOA, city or any other entity cannot restrict you from any renting a house. What they can do is restrict the renting to no more than a specific number of unrelated persons, no pets, sort term weekend renting, etc.

He said that you always have the right to rent to a family and any rule that total restricts all renting cannot be enforced.

I am not an attorney, so do your own research?
AggieBarstool
[There are word filters in place for a reason. -Staff]
Gigem314
AG

quote:
I don't like what you're insinuating.

Your statement reads as a blanket statement that all renters don't give a $h!t about their surroundings and lower property values.

That's not at all what I'm saying. I never said all renters were like that. Heck, I'm a renter right now. But the reality is, where there are multiple renters, the property values tend to be lower. I try to keep up what I have as if it were my own, but many of the other renters in the area don't. When I invest more in a home at some point, I don't want to be around that. If that makes you uncomfortable to hear, I don't know what to tell you. It's just a reality.

But the reality is that many property management companies and owners are just happy with tenants. If they're good it's just a bonus. Of course you have folks that rent out their house to more responsible people in a nicer neighborhood, but that's not as common.

[Edited quotes removed. -Staff]
Rexter

I would put some hard cash down to bet that the stipulations above are meant to prevent roommates. Rooming and boarding generally is considered to rent/lease a single room in a home or hotel. It doesn't specify "no renting". Our CC&Rs specify "no roomers" which has been clarified to mean anyone renting/leasing a room within a home from the homeowner or tenant. This doesn't prevent siblings/cousins from sharing a home. Just unrelated people.

Bill, what street are you on?
SumAggie
quote:
we have some who moved i our neighborhood and they are a PITA.... Never good for property values in an established neighborhood.
DanHo2010
AG
Awful lot of people in this town like shoving a stick in the eye of its reason for being.
beefly95
quote:
My street in Shenandoah is becoming a rental haven and I can't stand it. Not really college students, but people who don't give a rat's ass about any upkeep of the property. I wish we had this restriction.

The Southern Plantation HOA which covers most of Shenandoah most certainly does have a deed restriction on the number of unrelated persons living together. But it is poorly enforced. There is a halfway house on my street and the cops have come sirens blaring three times in one week. 4-5 cars parked outside all the time. And it doesn't stop people from renting their property to people who trash it.
Gigem314
AG
quote:
Awful lot of people in this town like shoving a stick in the eye of its reason for being.
Couldn't disagree more. There are far more living options for students today than there were even 10 years ago when I was a student. Nobody is shoving a stick at anyone.
Rexter
quote:
quote:

The Southern Plantation HOA which covers most of Shenandoah most certainly does have a deed restriction on the number of unrelated persons living together. But it is poorly enforced. There is a halfway house on my street and the cops have come sirens blaring three times in one week. 4-5 cars parked outside all the time. And it doesn't stop people from renting their property to people who trash it.
Got dates for that week?
beefly95
Roughly. Depends who's asking
Rexter
HOA
LOYAL AG
AG
quote:

Nothing could be further from the truth and it's an absurd interpretation of what's being said here. I live in an acreage subdivision with an average valuation of probably $650K, maybe higher. Students moving in and renting a house out here, given the normal level of upkeep students perform on the properties they occupy, would without question make this place less desirable. That doesn't mean I don't love Texas A&M or the students and their contribution to the local economy. What it means is that students aren't good tenants when it comes to repairs and maintenance and that in a place like mine their home would invariably be the worst looking place in the community. Sorry if that offends you.

My son is 1-1/2 years from starting at A&M and we're certain that he won't live somewhere with him upkeep. No sense in it from our perspective. he can't even keep his room clean, forget maintaining a lawn and landscaping!
Rasslin Cheesehead
AG
I've lived in the same house for the last 25 yrs. my wife and I raised our kids in this house. When we bought it, everybody had little kids. Over the years we had people move up and others move in. Some people held their houses for rentals and those people who lived in the homes first normally made good choices in who they rented to, and usually there wasn't any issues. We've had some students who've had bible study groups and parked all up and down the street, who would get upset for anything like that. The exception came when we had some kids move in 5 boys in a 4 bedroom house, so we had 4 trucks and 1 car on days their girlfriends weren't there. I can't tell you how many times I would pick up cans on Sunday mornings some days even one of the boys would even help pick them up. I never complained, no one called the cops, I figured what the heck, I went to A&M, the boys were being boys, and they weren't that loud. That changed their last semester. They got a couple of new roomies one with a couple of mean dogs. They had a party, forgot to close the gate, and the roomie let the dogs out. I'm standing in my yard picking up cans and the two dogs make a bee line into my yard and attack my daughters cat. They maul the cat. We tak the cat to the vet school and long story short we get a 1200 vet bill and ultimately the cat dies. The boy that owned the house told my wife the we should have shot the cat. Put it out of their misery and they refuse to pay the vet bill. Tells me he's graduating and I can forget ever getting the vet bill. Two weeks later I'm mowing my yard and a couple of cars pull up. One is a parent looking to buy the house for his kid the other is the realtor. I ask the parent, is your son planning on living here or are you moving your family. I'm told the boy. I told the parent the previous owners used up all the good will from the neighbors. We will call cops. The guy got in his car and left. The next day the owners mom drove down from North Texas to ***** me out in my driveway. I had to go to small claim court to get the vet bill. Bottom line this is a college town and renters are expected, but if shown respect we can be friends and coexist, if not it's not my first rodeo.
Post removed:
by user
Oogway
quote:
Bottom line this is a college town and renters are expected, but if shown respect we can be friends and coexist, if not it's not my first rodeo.
Indeed. We have lived in our house for a number of years as well. Love our neighborhood, warts and all, and for the most part have had no difficulties with the few houses that are rentals. Texas A&M touts the 'college experience' during the student tours and, quite frankly, part of becoming an adult is learning how to behave like one and get along with the community in which one lives. Otherwise, instead of attending college, one should be acquiring a hut and looking for a suitable place to become a hermit.

TXAG 05
AG
Move to Cypress
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.