Turn lane on Briarcrest heading east over 6

3,372 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by AggiePirate
Scoopen Skwert
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
First off sorry for being a Bryan poor on this board. . Since Thursday my wife and my dad have been forced into oncoming traffic with someone forcing their way into the turn lane to head north on the feeder. Is there anything that can be done?
redd38
AG
Yeah, don't move into oncoming traffic to let someone in.
AgResearch
AG
Get bigger vehicle. Don't allow them in. Sue when they crash into you.
BCStalk
Agreed. Buy a large vehicle and flex its muscles when idiots are being idiots. Hate impatient people
Scoopen Skwert
AG
So basically they should of let the idiot hit them? Who would be at fault according to the police?
BCStalk
The person merging. You have the right of way in your lane.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Ok thanks. I was confused because they would have hit the other car in the side to rear of the vehicle. Thought they might of got cited for failure to control speed even though they were within the speed limit and in their lane.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Oh and both my wife and dad were flipped off by the person forcing their way into the lane. Lucky it wasn't me that was there.
labmansid
Just be sure to let them hit you with their side fender, or basically sideswipe you. If you end up running into their rear end, it could come back on you.
Builder93
AG
That really irritates me at that intersection. I've scared the crap out of a couple of them with my truck.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Well just more proof when I made the decision to buy here a truck.
Brewmaster
AG
I'd also add, never turn left there...that bridge in general breeds stupidity. I live in Austin's Colony and still find I never use that turning lane. You can stay straight and hang a left just past the gas station (and still make it out to the feeder) or a left at the stop light by Target (bringing you out to William J Bryan).
halibut sinclair
That big solid white line means you are not supposed to cross over to get into the turn lane. I can't stand the idiots that do that.
halibut sinclair
quote:
or a left at the stop light by Target (bringing you out to William J Bryan).
Boonville.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
That big solid white line means you are not supposed to cross over to get into the turn lane. I can't stand the idiots that do that.
Incorrect. You can legally cross a solid white lane with caution. You can't legally cross a double white line.
halibut sinclair
quote:
quote:
Incorrect. You can legally cross a solid white lane with caution. You can't legally cross a double white line.

Incorrect. I didn't say it was illegal. I should have said "discouraged", rather than not supposed to, I suppose.

SINGLE SOLID WHITE LINE: This is used to channelize traffic and indicates that changing lanes is discouraged, although not specifically prohibited. You can cross it if you have to, but you should avoid it if possible. Even a thick single white line can be crossed if necessary; however, they are really discouraging you from crossing, so you might think twice about it. A single white line is also used simply to mark the right edge of the roadway.

http://www.texashighwayman.com/laws.shtml
techno-ag
halibut sinclair
Scotch
AG
A median might be needed to separate those in the left turn lane from idiots. Expect that to occur in 5-7 years.

(For future reference, it's not "would of", it's "would have" or "would've".)
Drewmeister
AG
This could easily be solved if they added a second left turn lane. Don't even need any construction, just change the lane markers -- change the center lane of eastbound Briarcrest from "straight only" to "straight or left turn".

If they do any construction on the bridge it should be to add U-turn lanes!
barbwire
Funny y'all mention driving trucks. I stupidly bought a mid-sized SUV when we lived out of state for a while. This area has the absolute worst drivers and there is a certain intimidation factor required for driving here. The SUV won't be around much longer.

There is no hope for a better solution regarding that turn lane in the near future. Excellent idea of going on through the light and hitting other roads though.
1984Consol
Exactly where is this intersection so I can view it on google maps?
Scoopen Skwert
AG
On the east side of 6 near the Stripes and Mazda dealership heading toward the Brazos Center.
AggiePirate
AG
Fence separating lanes would do it, something that should be done across Texas. Also closing the lanes in like they are tunnels and have blacklights with the option to tune to a radio station which is bring broadcast around the area of the lanes which plays cool trance music.

Fence is the first step for sure though.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.