Why does College Station allow intact dogs in their dog parks? And other rants

6,416 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Joe Schillaci 48
C XX I
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Every city I've ever taken my pup to doesn't allow intact dogs in their parks (without very heavily restricted registration). Dallas, Ft Worth, Austin, and Houston all ban them, but College Station has nothing to say beyond "don't bring dogs in heat". This is done for two reasons - to prevent accidental breeding, and to limit aggressive dogs. Both of these aspects are frequent issues at dog parks in College Station.

Sadly, there are tons of terrible pet owners out there. A lot of people think they know what they are doing but don't, and many others just don't care. This is a reality at dog parks, unfortunately. Allowing a statistically significant category of aggressive dogs (both unfixed males and unfixed females) makes these incapable owners exponentially more dangerous.

This afternoon, I took my (fixed) female dog to the park off of 2818. There were two other owners with their dogs, and they all got along well. About half an hour later, I heard a commotion at the main gate and looked over to see a young woman bringing her two dogs towards the dog park. Both were off leash while still in the non-dog portion of the park. Both dogs were not under verbal control, and went over to a woman with two small children. The two dogs proceeded to knock one of the small children over before the owner could control them. She then herded them into the double gates of the dog park. Seeing that this was clearly going to be trouble, I leashed my dog and stood off to the side of the entrance, around the corner of the fence, and waited for them to get through the gates before I left. One of the dogs, an unfixed male, immediately lunged through the gate and attacked my dog. He bit her neck and tried to bring her to the ground. The owner did nothing to help, and I had to separate her dog from mine. The owner's only comment was "sorry, he doesn't like other dogs."

After seeing this happen, every other owner in the park practically fled. I left to take my dog to the vet, and called CSPD non emergency. They said they would send an animal control officer over immediately.

After coming back from the vet, 45 minutes later, I observed the owner still in the dog park with her dogs. She left with the dogs a few minutes later, and I spoke to other owners who were there. Animal Control did stop by, and apparently spoke to the owner, but left with them still in the park. Two other owners complained to me that this same dog had attacked one other dog in the same manner, and had been aggressive to two other dogs. When the owner left with her two dogs, both were off leash again and ran into the neighborhood traffic multiple times.

I understand that dog parks come with - sometimes serious - inherent risks. What I don't understand, however, is why aggressive dogs (and intact ones) are allowed to escalate those risks so dramatically.
TexasAggie_02
AG
did you get a name or license number, or did you just come here to complain?

If someone else's dog caused my dog to go to the vet, i would sure as hell find out who they are, follow up with the city, and file a claim against them if needed. I wouldn't just leave and hope the city takes care of it.
montegobay
I would send this summary of what happened to every person on the city council and ask them to consider a regulation. It's sad that our cities are so behind the times on this issue. Even Waco requires this.
Mr. Griswold
Sounds like an ordinance would be needed to do this. Have you thought about bringing the issue to city council's attention?
C XX I
Yes, I have their personal information. I didn't include that in my post because it's absolutely not anyone's business, nor does it have any impact on the conversation at hand. The desire by a few posters on this forum to somehow make it the OP's fault that they've had a bad experience is ridiculous. No where in my post did I ask you to do something for me, nor did I damage anyone's reputation. I asked a question, expressed dissatisfaction with current laws and procedures, then gave details of my personal experience related to that question. Think that's extremely close to the purpose of a local community message board.

Gris and Montego, that's likely the direction I'm headed in. I was curious as to the thoughts of other members of this community, and wanted to hear them before I took this any further.

As an example, Dallas requires:

• Dog/cat owner is a member of a pureblood dog or cat club OR has successfully completed a Responsible Pet Ownership class with the City of Dallas.
  • The dog/cat is current with its vaccination, registration, and has a microchip
  • The $70 Intact Animal Permit fee has been paid.

Many other cities require the owner to have a breeder certification in order to keep their dog intact, especially if they wish to use any city parks. Some cities simply don't allow intact dogs to use parks, whatsoever.

Even with this, the dog must be under verbal control and in sight at all times, and still has restrictions on which parks it can go to.

It's worth noting that at least one of this dogs did not have a rabies tag/county registration tag on it, as it had no collar, either. I was under the impression that dogs without that tag could not be in city dog parks.
Rexter
You should have put the offending mutt in a sleeper hold when you separated the two.
C XX I
There were multiple beings I felt like incapacitating, at the time, but I just wanted to get my pup to the vet ASAP.
rhoswen
AG
"Doesn't like other dogs."

...AT A DOG PARK.

Did she even know where she was???
AG
Obviously this is something we need to have our government overlords involved in. I propose we have a police officer, animal control officer, guidance counselor, VA ombudsman, and elementary school cafeteria worker posted at the entrance to every public park within the city limits. Think of the children.
C XX I
It's a city owned park... Yes, I think the city should better control the use of a city owned and city run park. To equate the suggestion that the city cover their butts, legally, and provide a safer environment at their own dog parks to being the same as an expanding police state and over-expanding gub'mint is inane. The city also has lifeguards at the city owned and city run pools...is that the evil government stepping too far, as well?
cs1
All dogs matter.
Scruffy
AG
Should have shot both the dog and he owner.
AggieBarstool
Or at least the owner. The fugging dog didn't know any better, having been raise by an idiot.
Chazz03
AG
Scotch
AG
I'm sure the reason others asked about getting her info was because this was clearly a HUMAN problem with a dog symptom. Since you did not mention that you got her info, many naturally assumed you hadn't taken that reasonable step.
Post removed:
by user
AggiePirate
AG
That lady is clearly a troll. Did she look like this?

duffelpud
AG
Solution - the city needs to be out of the dog park business.

Also out of the skateboard park business, arts business, hotel taxing business...
TexasAggie_02
AG
Try calling the county. You're supposed to pay a yearly registration fee with the county. If she doesn't have it registered, then maybe she could be fined.
CS78
CHL
dfphotos
first world problems
MiMi
S
quote:
Animal Control did stop by, and apparently spoke to the owner, but left with them still in the park.
This is what I don't understand. Her dog attacked another dog and at least one dog did not have a county tag. How could the ACO leave with the owner and her dogs still at the park. Is their a written report of the visit that you can review? Seems like there is a piece of the puzzle missing.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Do you think making it a law would prevent idiots from breaking that law anyway?
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
Yes, I have their personal information. I didn't include that in my post because it's absolutely not anyone's business, nor does it have any impact on the conversation at hand.
yes it does. I'm not saying that you should share the info, but stating whether or not you got their info is pertinent to the story. Otherwise, you sound like the people that complain about bad restaurant service, but don't have the gumption to actually talk to the manager, so they just take to the internet.

I'm sorry if I offended you, but that was information that would have made the story more complete.

You have a strange dog that bit your dog and caused resulting in a vet visit. They absolutely need to be reported to the County to see if they have vaccination records on file.

If you got the license plate #, cross post this on the Outdoors board. There are several folks there that can look up plates for you (do it via PM or email).
C XX I
I plan on requesting one.
montegobay
Sadly, in my experience, neither CSPD nor the ACO care if a dog is bit. Our two dogs were attacked and bitten repeatedly by two loose pit bulls in our neighborhood. They didn't even want to look at/check our dogs. They just picked up the offending dogs and took them to the shelter where they were later claimed by their owners with no penalty of any kind. If the dog bites a person, that's when they get excited.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
quote:
first world problems

How in the living hell is this a "first world problem"? Do you even know what that means?
FlyRod
Great point. Why just the other day these two Syrian refugees were complaining to me about the way people's dogs behaved at the dog park outside their refugee camp...
Fonzie Scheme
AG
That's right. Because SO many Syrian Muslims are flooding BCS.

A "first world problem", in light of the OP, would be another dog randomly sniffing the butt of OP's dog. That didn't happen. OP went to a park expecting a peaceful walk with their pooch and their dog was attacked by a poorly trained animal by an even worse owner.

In my overly inflated and self-exalted opinion, I would have gladly produced a firearm and eliminated said animal right before the shocked eyes of the said owner. And, in the aftermath? Nothing. I would feel absolutely nothing.
AggiePirate
AG
quote:
That's right. Because SO many Syrian Muslims are flooding BCS.

Finally someone speaks out. I can barely make it from my house to my car most days.
George Costanza
Did everyone forget the first rule of Dog Park Fight Club?
double b
AG
Because of things like this is why I own and will only own cats.
Scruffy
AG
quote:
Because of things like this is why I own and will only own cats.

I don't think one can "own" a cat. The cat just allows said person to feed it and when the car wants, to pet it.

The only time I have seen a "pet" cat was one raised around dogs. It actually came when called and was friendly.
All other cats saw their "owners" as furniture that would put food out.
carpe vinum
AG
quote:
From College Station police:
On 11/23/15, College Station Animal Control received report of an animal bite that occurred on 11/22/15 at the dog park on West Ridge.
The victim was breaking up two dogs fighting with each other. The victim sustained injuries and is having the injury medically treated.
The victim described one of the dogs as being a white pit bull.
To rule out rabies exposure to the victim, Animal Control is needing to locate the dog and place it into rabies quarantine.
Anyone with information is asked to call CSPD at 979-764-3600.
TexasAggie_02
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.