Highway 6 Gripe

10,773 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by ddpg
halibut sinclair
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
quote:
quote:
Be nice if it did. Supposed to provide a mid-state link between military forts.

Nope.

Yup.

quote:
The Gulf Coast Strategic Highway Commission advocates the continuation of I-14 from its planned western terminus in Natchez, MS through Alexandria, LA to Killeen, Texas and on to a new western terminus in El Paso. Such an extension would serve to directly connect seven U.S. military installations: Fort Bliss (El Paso, TX), Fort Hood (Killeen, TX), Fort Polk (Leesville, LA), Camp Beauregard (Alexandria, LA), Fort Benning (Columbus, GA), Robins Air Force Base (Macon, GA), and Fort Gordon (Augusta, GA.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_14
Nope, meaning it's a bad idea. Stay with me here.
FlyRod
AggiePirate
AG
quote:
quote:
They've been talking about adding two more lanes for years now. I have a hunch that the delays may have something to do with the proposed Interstate 14 project.
Wow, I had never heard of Interstate 14. and never knew that it would come threw this area. Have any more details? Will it actually make it to this area?

Coincidence? I think not.
NativeTxn
I absolutely hate the new entrance and exit ramps, especially at night! I have lived here so long that I still try to enter where the old ramps were because in the dark it kinda looks like they are still there!. They also need to install more lighting and also add some reflective paint/reflectors to all entrance/exits to make sure that doesn't happen. I KNOW I am not the only one this happens to.

I have noticed and do appreciate the additional lighting that is there now, but they are not bright enough! Light that sht up so we can see what we're doing!!
Buford T. Justice
AG
Its great to learn more details of the possible freeway, but how will a freeway system that runs east to west, help with traffic issues that seem to be primarily a south to north issue?

AC Hopper
S

quote:
I absolutely hate the new entrance and exit ramps, especially at night! I have lived here so long that I still try to enter where the old ramps were because in the dark it kinda looks like they are still there!. They also need to install more lighting and also add some reflective paint/reflectors to all entrance/exits to make sure that doesn't happen. I KNOW I am not the only one this happens to.

I have noticed and do appreciate the additional lighting that is there now, but they are not bright enough! Light that sht up so we can see what we're doing!!

No joke!
toolshed
AG
quote:

I am sure you can chalk that up to the light pollution crowd.
mazag08
AG
I just recently moved to Houston after living in CS for 11 years.

The exit from the southbound Sam Houston tollway to the west bound Westpark Tollway makes you exit onto the feeder 200 feet short of a stop light. Between the exit ramp and the the two lane street you have to turn onto, you have to cross three lanes of bumper to bumper cars.

It really made me appreciate BCS traffic.

At the same time, I have to agree that the entrance and exit ramps were stupid and a waste of time and money. The only good they do is give you a better chance to reach businesses on the feeder without a light. All they've done is make a bigger mess.
NativeTxn
quote:
quote:

Well put me in the crowd that wants more light pollution along Hwy 6.
InMyOpinion
quote:
quote:
quote:

Just curious where on hwy 6 more light is needed. Not that I am for or against more light but I can't thnk of any stretch in BCS that needs more.
NativeTxn
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Just curious where on hwy 6 more light is needed. Not that I am for or against more light but I can't thnk of any stretch in BCS that needs more.
For the most part, they just need to be brighter, but the areas where the old entrances and exits were either need to be lit better or more clearly marked. Where the southbound entrance ramps used to be, at Boonville and Briarcrest need better lighting or reflective marking. In the dark, it looks like the ramps are still there and the one at Boonville still has partial paint as if it's still there, but it isn't.

In any case, I have never seen such dim street lamps.
duffelpud
AG
quote:
The only good they do is give you a better chance to reach businesses on the feeder without a light.
Ding, ding, ding, ding - we have a winner!

What local developer stood to gain the most from reconfiguring the on and off ramps? Follow the money...
ddpg
We don't need extra lanes on the bypass... what we need is a monorail!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.