Highway 6 Gripe

10,764 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by ddpg
l0u10itd4n
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Why does Hwy 6 come to a crawl/stop in the evenings south of University? There are no wrecks and there's no current construction on southbound lanes.

Are people just that terrible at driving and merging into traffic? I just don't get it. It's very dangerous!
FlyRod
Yes, people here are terrible drivers, and there are more of them every year. Get used to this, I'm sorry to say. I feel your pain.
l0u10itd4n
I've live here my whole life, these "pile-ups" just started happening.
Smokin Chisel
AG
People entering the highway have never learned the meaning of the word merge. Most people meaning of merge is force their way onto a 75mph highway at 50-55mph...
halibut sinclair
Is this on the bypass?
CS78
quote:
I've live here my whole life, these "pile-ups" just started happening.
Its not just there. Ive been here for 12 years and just this fall we seem to be hitting a critical point in traffic flow. Places that used to back up from 5:00-5:30 now back up from 5:00-6:00. We are on the verge of some real messes if they dont get in front of the issues SOON. The growth rate is expanding and could blow up any day.
Buford T. Justice
AG
1. The bypass needs to be made into a freeway by utilizing the median space, and adding two more lanes each way.

2. We need dedicated merge lanes.

3. We need enhanced directional signage.

Mr. Griswold
They've been talking about adding two more lanes for years now. I have a hunch that the delays may have something to do with the proposed Interstate 14 project.
turfman80
AG
I think we need to redo the entry and exit ramps.
Post removed:
by user
Turtle88
AG
People definitely do not know how to merge!! They expect you to slow down or move to the left to let them on , I got flipped off the other day, I could not move over and refused to slow down, guy tried to bully his way in with his big truck. You need to be looking while you are merging and plan your speed according , he could have easily come in behind me! Then he sped over to left lane cutting someone else off so he could flip me off and mouth off something! And yes it has gotten worse from University on south at that time. Rant over!!
GSS
quote:
....meaning of merge is force their way onto a 75mph highway at 50-55mph...
I thought if you only went 75mph you were causing problems, as the only correct speed is whatever the tailgating 85+ mph get-out-of-my-way drivers have dictated as the "safe" (flow of traffic) speed. Day/night/rain....doesn't matter.
Pretty sure that fact has been reiterated on TexAgs many times
Kashchei
AG
quote:
^ again? How about make 2818 limited access, and make a loop?

I think that was sarcasm.
BCStalk
Solution: 75mph min/max in left lane. 70mph min 75mph max in right lane.

Requirements: ENFORCE!

Unless the two cities start citing drivers for merging on at an unsafe speed (over or under), and citing the idiots running 55mph or 85mph in the left lane, it won't ever get better. I am curious as to when the left lane went from a passing lane to a speeding lane. With the new exits and on ramps, it has become difficult to merge from either lane because the drivers in the right lane run 55 and the lefts run 85. If you need to run 55 stay on feeder. If you need to run 85 you are an idiot.
LOYAL AG
AG
I think we've hit critical mass with traffic but the backup starts with the bend in 6 south just past the Rock Prairie exit. That's an awkward curve at 75 in any vehicle we've owned including the Mini Cooper S that handled like a go cart. I've noticed that the vast majority of drivers take that curve at 65 or slower. Add to that the increased volume, the traffic during rush hour coming on to 6 from Texas Ave just south of that curve and you have a real slow down from that curve to the Barron overpass.
kevmiller
CS is home to some of the worst drivers in the state of Texas.. And by worst I don't mean aggressive and speeding. Most are slow drivers. No idea how to maintain speed , no idea how to make a double turn. Everytime I make a double turn at an intersection there is someone in inside lane that ends up in outside nearly bumping guy in outside lane.
When making a unprotected turn across traffic or stopping at a stop sign and making a turn into traffic .. People will wait for a written invitation before proceeding.
Don't get me started on a 4 way stop.. One car will always just sit there 2 times thru the rotation.
Have your own lane merging into traffic. Someone is always sitting and waiting looking over their shoulder waiting till No cars are in sight before proceeding.
Many people here have no clue whatsoever how to drive.

Rockdoc
AG
Yup, what Buford said is exactly right. Start working on it NOW and don't try to study it for 10 years.
ukbb2003
Yep, wish we would have used the money spent on the ramps to widen Hwy 6 and made it "No Trucks In Left Lane".
The Original AG 76
AG
quote:
CS is home to some of the worst drivers in the state of Texas.. And by worst I don't mean aggressive and speeding. Most are slow drivers. No idea how to maintain speed , no idea how to make a double turn. Everytime I make a double turn at an intersection there is someone in inside lane that ends up in outside nearly bumping guy in outside lane.
When making a unprotected turn across traffic or stopping at a stop sign and making a turn into traffic .. People will wait for a written invitation before proceeding.
Don't get me started on a 4 way stop.. One car will always just sit there 2 times thru the rotation.
Have your own lane merging into traffic. Someone is always sitting and waiting looking over their shoulder waiting till No cars are in sight before proceeding.

NOTHING is worse than daddy's little princes in a new BMW SUV barely able to see over the steering wheel, talking on a cell phone driving like a scared little rabbit .
95_Aggie
AG
quote:
NOTHING is worse than daddy's little princes in a new BMW SUV barely able to see over the steering wheel, talking on a cell phone driving like a scared little rabbit .
We'd be lucky if she was on the phone. Most likely texting or catching up on Facebook.
BlazeHarper
I set the cruise control on 60, well 63 if I am feeling a bit wild. I stay in the right lane whenever I am on HWY 6. There is so much merging going on it really feels like a faster Texas Ave without stop lights. It seems many slow people are checked out and some are on phones and texting. it seems the fast people are a bit impatient and have somewhere really important to be like an emergency or late to an appointment.
taxpreparer
AG

quote:
Solution: 75mph min/max in left lane. 70mph min 75mph max in right lane.
This is a ridiculous idea; it leaves no leeway for weather conditions or other externals.
Ornlu
AG
Seriously: Go faster. Maintaining 15 MPH below the speed limit is dangerous for you and everyone else around you. If you would like to go that slow, stay on the feeder road.
justalocal
quote:

Lol, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but this happens all over Texas. Almost all cities can be classified as having some of the worst drivers in the State (except for maybe Iowa Colony back in the 1990s when the population was 0 but I think it is now like 10 and I bet if you ask the residents, they probably have some bad drivers).
OlBoss
AG
We can complain about the drivers all day, but these problems have only started since they redid the entrance/exits. There is some type of traffic backup probably 3/5 days of the week on my way home in that area. Before, you had like 1/2 mile to merge and now you have a couple hundred feet. It frustrates me that we spent as much money as I'm sure we did to only create additional traffic on hwy 6.
AC Hopper
S
Seriously, I intend to buy a Humvee and have it reinforced because of the unsafe driving in this town!
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Rabble, rabble, growing town and traffic. Rabble, rabble.
motherrunnersBCS
If you wanted to make a dangerous and non-user friendly highway, what would you do? Well, you could increase the speed on the highway so that the part going through the town is actually faster than the part outside of the town. Then give the oncoming cars less time and less visablity to merge with the faster traffic by shortening the on ramps. Oh and you could also post signs that say the left lane is only for passing. And make non-ending construction. Place this highway in a location like a major university and an area hospital where there is a mix of inexperienced and older drivers. Add a couple of tourist attractions with poor signage. Place this highway in a state that does not have much in the way of drivers ed.

Fix just two of these things and our local world would already be a better place. Fix four and we would have to find something else to complain about.
duffelpud
AG
quote:
I think we need to redo the entry and exit ramps.
Underrated post.
The Collective
AG
This town combines rural, suburban, & urban drivers. Mix them all together, and the traffic here is what you get.
OnlyANobody
Since we're rabble rousing and grumbling, I wish that they had been consistent about the merging lane continuing or not continuing to the next exit. (For example, you don't move over to an exit lane going northbound, to exit University. You simply exit from the right hand lane. But northbound at MLK/Old Reliance, you do have the exiting lane.)

And the same holds true once you get down onto the feeder roads. Sometimes, you have to exit and move right out of an entrance-only lane and other times, the left hand lane simply vanishes with no merge-right sign.

There's always some poor dude trying to duck into the main lane when theirs up and disappears.
woodometer
AG
And there is definitely a shortage of blinker fluid in town. Everyone seems to be running low.
AC Hopper
S
No one pays any attention to blinkers anyway, thus the Humvee!
Alte Schule
Back to the OP's question....I believe part of the problem is the new southbound exit for SW Parkway/Raintree is now just past the bridge over Harvey instead of 100 yards down the road and a lot of people aren't use to it yet. They come up on it to quick in the passing lane, hit their brakes, and sometimes their turn signals, and then try and merge right at the last second which has a domino effect back towards University.
InMyOpinion
quote:
We can complain about the drivers all day, but these problems have only started since they redid the entrance/exits. There is some type of traffic backup probably 3/5 days of the week on my way home in that area. Before, you had like 1/2 mile to merge and now you have a couple hundred feet. It frustrates me that we spent as much money as I'm sure we did to only create additional traffic on hwy 6.

I think you are close, but the problem isn't the fact they changed the ramps its that people don't use the entrance and exit ramps properly. Too many people slow down way before they actually get to the exit ramps so you end up with people slowing to 65-55-45 before get off the highway. You also have people not accelerating to the proper speed on the entrance ramps until they get to the highway. This causes issues when someone driving 50-60 gets into traffic going 70

1. You don't need to touch your brakes or let off the gas until you are off the highway. There is plenty of exit ramp to slow down befor you have to merge with feeder road traffic
2. You need to accelerate to 70-75 on the entrance ramps before getting to the highway. Then you are essentially changing lanes where the entrance ramp meets the highway.

If you can't follow the above 2 guidelines then you just need to stay on the feeder road.

And for the record you had similar slow downs prior to the change in ramps because traffic was backed up from the feeder road on to the highway, hwy 6 north at university was a perfect example.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.