Foster parents

2 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by lifeincartoonmotion
lifeincartoonmotion
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any foster parents around?
RunSilentRunDeep
There are a good number in the area. Why do you ask?
lifeincartoonmotion
AG
Just looking to connect. I was recently certified and accepted a placement yesterday
momlaw
AG
Wish there were a bigger number in our area. Brazos County out places the majority of foster children to other counties creating a myriad of challenges for all involved in the process of resolving their cases.

Thank you for stepping up. You might inquire with Voices for Children - CASA, children in the system are their mission. If they cannot directly connect they might know of resources for you.
RunSilentRunDeep
I'm not a foster parent, but know and have worked with many.

If you are associated with a placement agency, ask them about fostering support groups. Also, maybe the Bryan CPS office or the Voices for Choldren office in Bryan may have information.

Didn't see that momlaw had already posted about VFC. The office is on Main two doors down from the Horn and String shop.
jmazz
AG
My wife and I got licensed through Arrow 2.5-3 years ago but shortly after getting licensed found out we were having twins. So we never took in a child but would like to one of these days.
Pyewacket
AG
I am a CASA. Government agencies and CASA usually don't give out that information for privacy reasons. You would be suprised how many birth parents get a hold of a phone number or address. It could lead to scary consequences. I have had to change my number because of this. If you find people unwilling to help you connect, please understand it is usually for this reason and it is not personal. You and I are dealing with a world that is jaw dropping to say the least.

Some of the aid charities that deal with foster kids like Project Unity might be able to "guide" you in a direction.

P.S. THANK YOU! for opening your home. It is a tough journey. So many kids are placed outside the city.
lifeincartoonmotion
AG
My agency is pretty new and relatively small in this area. I know a lot of people who have foster/adopted, but was wondering if there was an established group in this area that I wasn't finding. It will be interesting to work from the other side of the system; I worked as a caseworker for about 6 months in grad school.

Thanks for your replies!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.