Good camping spots?

3,698 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by veritas47
C-2ag99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thinking about taking the kids camping this weekend if it's not too hot...don't want to drive too far. Favorite good, nearby camping sites?
BCStalk
Bryan lake is the closest.
cslifer
Huntsville state park is great!
jrhmc
AG
Huntsville State Park is great but it's almost always complete packed on this particular weekend. Our GS Troop goes there this weekend just about every year but we had to switch it up this year. A few others that are nice are Ft. Parker State Park and Brazos Bend State Park. Ft. Parker has the historic site near and Brazos Bend has alligators and the Observatory. Both are 1.5-2 hours away.
Ornlu
AG
Don't go to lake Bryan. Unlike the State Parks, there are absolutely no alcohol restrictions at Lake Bryan - so its a drunken loud party fest 5 nights a week. Kids won't enjoy that.

Best within 45 miles is Birch Creek division of Lake Sommerville State Park. Quiet, tons of nature, great campsites. https://goo.gl/maps/XypSEkcFkQs

If you're willing to drive a tad further, Cagle Campgrounds at Sam Houston National Forrest (https://goo.gl/maps/tUrJ5okWKgz) and Lost Pines (https://goo.gl/maps/xQ5k9yYPkSo) are both amazing.
rhoswen
AG
Ren Fest
armymom
We love LCRA campsites at Lake Bastrop. Beautiful lake with canoe rentals and nice campsites.
labmansid
The closest and probably least crowded option will likely be Lake Somerville. It is pretty good for your basic camping activities such as fishing, swimming, and hiking.
I do slightly prefer Huntsville SP over Lake Somerville, just a bit more scenic and varied to me, plus you can rent canoes to paddle around the lake. As mentioned, it might be more likely to be filled up on nice weekends due to it's proximity to Houston.
My favorite park in the area is Brazos Bend SP. Only about an hour's drive further than the others, about two hours from B/CS. Also near Houston, so it could be hard to get into on short notice. One of it's main draws is the alligators, of which there are plenty. Kids always get a thrill out of seeing them, whether from a distance or up close, and you can often get pretty close. Just be sure to keep your distance and don't harass them. I am pretty partial to Brazos Bend as my hobby is photography, and there is plenty to photograph there, especially wildlife. People do fish there as well, as long as you respect the presence of the alligators.

Never know what you might catch at Brazos Bend.

Crawfish seems to be on everything's diet. There are some big ones there, too.

It would be a good idea to check for availability and reserve a spot ahead of time for the more popular parks. You can do that on the TPWD website.
NativeTxn
Nails Creek State Park between Dime Box and Giddings, Texas.

the pit man
Gibbons Creek is close also. The fishing has been great lately too.
techno-ag
AG
Inks Lake, about 3 hours' drive.
http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/inks-lake

Then hit Longhorn Cavern on your way home.
http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/longhorn-cavern

The kids will love it.
FlyRod
techno-ag
Rooster14
Jellystone park in Waller. Great place for kids.
FlyRod
You might check out Bastrop. The fire was bad but some areas have recovered and it's not too far away.
CS78
Pretty sure Nails and Birch at Somerville are both still closed to camping from the flood.
ksp
quote:
Pretty sure Nails and Birch at Somerville are both still closed to camping from the flood.
yes last I checked
originaltexan
Been camping at Sam's (north side of parking lot closest to theatre) for about six months. Some yahoo ran one of those flat carts under my van, and I couldn't reverse or go forward. It was a mess. Ended up being a bad u-joint, so I gotta get that fixed. Then I am thinking about being a Uber.
veritas47
Lake Radcliff just east of Crockett is nice. It's a US Forest Service park with a 40 or 45 acre lake, canoe rentals, hiking, fishing etc. Lots of tall pine trees and ruins of 19th century saw mill kids can explore.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.