Whole or half cow

2,996 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by chrisfield
spike427
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Where do y'all buy your whole or half cows? Grass-fed? Average price? Thanks!
ooshwa
Staff
AG
http://faulknerbeef.com/
ksp
Only place I have bought grass fed from.

http://www.beefmaster-ranch.com/

grass fed will usually always yield a smaller side of beef compared to grain and hormone fed beef.

Grass fed beef is healthier, but not as good IMO.
SumAggie
unless you have a need for A LOT of soup bones, cuts of meat you won't use etc. you may be better off to purchase those cuts that you use at Sam's or Readfield's etc.
GSS
TAMU-Rosenthal

Another choice...but not likely grass-fed
spike427
AG
I'm willing to get creative. I bought a tongue yesterday! I have bought the ground beef at Readfield's but it's not as lean as I prefer. And I can't get USA gf beef at the big stores in town.
spike427
AG
We prefer the gf beef in ground and also really enjoyed elk that a friend shared a few years ago in various cuts. My 3 year old will eat tons of the gf ground but hates other ground beef.
ChampsAg
Readfield has some boxes to choose from prepackaged
ksp
quote:
We prefer the gf beef in ground and also really enjoyed elk that a friend shared a few years ago in various cuts. My 3 year old will eat tons of the gf ground but hates other ground beef.
We grind up three deer per year for Ground Hamburger and we prefer it over beef.

Steak wise, would have been specific, as to what I thought was better.
fanof3.88
quote:
I'm willing to get creative. I bought a tongue yesterday! I have bought the ground beef at Readfield's but it's not as lean as I prefer. And I can't get USA gf beef at the big stores in town.
Yeah I like the tongue too, how do you do yours??? I like mine with scrambled eggs.
spike427
AG
I've never made it! It is my first one.
JCM_AGSM13
Prof and grad. Great guy from when I took his classes.
JohnLA762
AG
Grain fed beef is just as healthy as grass fed beef. Just FYI.
Cancelled
AG
Here we go....
motherrunnersBCS
Last Saturday, there were two grass-fed beef sellers at the Farmers Market in downtown Bryan. One of them (Wild Type Ranch) lets you place an order for whole, 1/2 or 1/4 beef, and has a subscription service, but they only come into Bryan once a month. See their website for order form and schedule. The other sells longhorn, and it is very good, and they have been there every week for the past couple of months, they have interesting cuts. I have liked the roasts from them better than the roasts from Wild Type - the Wild Type roasts are frozen in too large of sizes for my crockpot. As a side note, last week there was a man selling free range chicken and turkeys. The free range chicken was great, but it took me a while to figure out how to cook a chicken with so little fat.

Wild Type Ranch is also sold at Village Foods, in a stand-alone freeze. It is my standard ground beef - I stock up a couple times per year. It is delicious.

*Farmers Market tomorrow for gf longhorn, Village Foods anytime for gf ground beef.
Tailgate88
AG
I like the idea of eating Longhorn.
Brewmaster
AG
quote:
there were two grass-fed beef sellers at the Farmers Market in downtown Bryan.

not to thread jack, anyone know where to buy hog meat? specifically pork shoulders aka boston or pork butt. I smoke 3 at a time in my smoker, but have been getting them at HEB.

I'd love to try a wild hog too (I'm guessing sow would be tastier).
ksp
Sows are best and typically 100lbs or less
JohnLA762
AG
Just trying to state fact. If that is your preference, by all means. Just want people to make the decision on factional info. No reason to pay more per pound on myth.
BrazosBull
AG
Grass fed taste horrible
chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
We eat beef from Faulkner farms and love it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.