Young man with some disabilities looking for work.

2,703 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Ratsa
don61
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Young man, age 23, looking for any kind of work. He has some disabilities. But can do just about anything.
Patience and understanding is essential when working with him. He can do it, just needs a chance and the
right person to help. Thanks to all!!
don61
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Salty Aggie 93
AG
Need more details.
What kind of work?
Where is he located?
don61
He just needs work. He is entry level for any job.
No electrician, plumbing and such. Retail, food
service, grocery, just about anything. He is in
Bryan/College Station. Thanks!
07bluebonnet
Both Kroger and HEB hire people with disabilities.
don61
Thank you but he worked at Kroger before and they did not want to deal with him because of
his disabilities, so he was fired. We tried again and spoke with them personally but they stated
they didn't have a place for him. Thanks again.
SchnauzerMom
Chick-Fil-A
don61
Schnauzermom - we tried there twice, no luck.
Pyewacket
AG
I am sure Junction 505 has come up?

I read somewhere that Goodwill was looking for Donation Attendants for both stores in town.

Have you checked with Leticia at Project Unity? Maybe she needs help with donations and distributions. I know the website will say no openings, but give her a call.
don61
Pyewacket - You have to be referred to Junction 505 and DARS refuses to refer him.
We have tried just about every avenue to get him a job with an employer who can
work with someone with disabilities. Also, I did speak to Project Unity and they do
not offer job hunts or have jobs for the disabled. Thank you.
gettingitdone
Try the St. Vincent DePaul store down town. They always need people to sort through their donations. Also, maybe Hospice Brazos Valley Store.
jopatura
AG
Both Target and Best Buy are starting their seasonal hires about now. If he applies for the inventory department, there's usually repetitive stocking tasks that he can be taught.
poolgirl1
If DARS is refusing to refer him to Junction 505, then tell them to get him a job coach. DARS got my son a job coach to help him get started with HEB. HEB works very well with people with disabilities. Have you checked with BVCIL? They can be helpful in finding jobs also.
don61
He has been to BVCIL for job interview training. They don't do job coaching or help find jobs. And he's been trying to get a job coach from dars for 4 1\2 years. Dars has been useless. Thank you for trying.
strike319
Stupid question but, have you been to brazos Valley workforce commission? There are some great folks there. If not I can make a phone call and see what they can do to help. Also, ticket office/ concessions might be a possibility.
AggieDarlin
AG
quote:
Young man, age 23, looking for any kind of work. He has some disabilities. But can do just about anything.
Patience and understanding is essential when working with him. He can do it, just needs a chance and the
right person to help. Thanks to all!!

I'm not asking for you to reveal personal details, but is there any way you can provide an idea as to what his disability entails (ex: physical limitations like lifting, etc)?

What qualities are needed for an employer/trainer to be the right person to help your son? Patience and understanding is a general concept for everyone, but are you able to detail how this applies to your son's situation?

I know folks are trying to help with the broad cast of the net, but I think they can help *better* if they know more - Can you provide more details about what y'all have already looked into and applied for?

Your son is lucky to have a mother who is looking out for him
don61
Yes he has been to the workforce and they were never able to place him. He is 23 now, but once he turned 21, they said he gets thrown into the adult category and its almost impossible to help with the amount of people "in front" of him. Thanks so much.
don61
Thank you for the kind words. Just want to help him find a job. So let me give a little more detail.

He has difficulty working in a fast and furious paced business, such as a restaurant or such.
He tends to get distracted somewhat easily. He will begin a task and something/someone will get his attention and he has to be reminded of the task at hand. So, that would be the reason I said someone patient that can re-direct him when needed. I honestly believe that over time that he could get into the routine. He does drive. Has graduated from high school. Had training at Blinn Workforce. He can, at times, get overwhelmed or frustrated if put in a very very busy/hectic area. But he is a very courteous polite young man just looking for that one person who can make a difference. We are working with the state of Texas disabilities group to obtain a job coach for him while he is in training. Thanks everyone.
Tanya 93
quote:
Thank you for the kind words. Just want to help him find a job. So let me give a little more detail.

He has difficulty working in a fast and furious paced business, such as a restaurant or such.
He tends to get distracted somewhat easily. He will begin a task and something/someone will get his attention and he has to be reminded of the task at hand. So, that would be the reason I said someone patient that can re-direct him when needed. I honestly believe that over time that he could get into the routine. He does drive. Has graduated from high school. Had training at Blinn Workforce. He can, at times, get overwhelmed or frustrated if put in a very very busy/hectic area. But he is a very courteous polite young man just looking for that one person who can make a difference. We are working with the state of Texas disabilities group to obtain a job coach for him while he is in training. Thanks everyone.
Have you looked into car washes?

I saw a story on a family that started a car wash business because one of their sons/siblings had autism. The business now has a huge number of autistic adults working for them because the routine of being told to wash these towels, fold these towels, use this spray to clean the windows inside and outside seems to work for them.

Ratsa
Has he applied at Scott & White? I heard a while ago that they have partnered with CSISD to provide internships to CSISD students with disabilities, in order to help them make that transition from school to work.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.