Where to donate cat food and litter?

1,066 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by FlyRod
spike427
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Our elderly cat passed away last week, and I have a few partial boxes of litter, opened bags of food and three boxes of canned food. Where is the best place to take these items? Shelter or a vet?
techno-ag
AG
There's a no kill shelter in Hearne, right off 6 before you get to the light and McDonald's. They had a sign out a couple weeks ago asking for cat treat donations.
OnlyANobody
I'm sorry about the loss of your kitty.

Both shelters here are also very appreciative of donations. I had a kitty who was on a specialized diet and that kind of food can only go to kitties who are prescribed that food. So, I placed an ad on our "Nextdoor" community page to give it away instead of throwing it out and actually found a family whose kitty is on that prescription diet.
Tanya 93
I would think the county shelter would take it.
But you could post on craiglist and see if someone needs it.

I am so sorry about Chuey. Cats love the people they own as much as people love the dogs they own.
spike427
AG
Thank you. He was the best cat I've ever had, as a lifelong cat lover. My 6 year old is taking it pretty hard. I'll try to get out this week to take the goods to a shelter.
SchnauzerMom
There is also Long Way Home Animal Sanctuary. Long Way Home Sanctuary is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that maintains a caring, nurturing home life for pets deemed "unadoptable" or who have been diagnosed with a chronic or terminal illness.
ChampsAg
Country store in Wellborn takes donations for the Robertson county shelter
AggieBarstool
BCS Spay would LOVE a donation. They are a non-profit spay/neuter program that operates in the Brazos County. They also have a foster/adoption program. You can meet with Amy and her staff at PetSmart this coming Saturday around noon.
spike427
AG
Can't make it Saturday, but I messaged their FB page. Thanks!
DeckMe80
My advice: Keep all of your food and supplies, then go to a shelter and get another cat.
spike427
AG
I'm not ready for a new animal just yet. I don't know if I'll ever have a cat again, because it won't be my sweet ol' kitty boy.
FlyRod
You might not be ready but what about your 6 year old? I assume you've talked about it?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.