Going out of business.

9,708 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by frito bandito
Scoopen Skwert
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Losing my favorite store in town. I supported them plenty for my kids and myself. HobbyTown will be missed.
BCStalk
That's sad. It was a place I didn't mind wasting money at.
Goose83
AG
Most kids today have no idea what a hobby shop is anyway. Unfortunately, model planes, trains and rockets are now relics of a lost world, appealing only to aging baby boomers and the fond memories of their youth.

It's a crying shame, but unfortunately the world has changed (and not for the better).
fcag
AG
You sure they are closing???

I heard they just sold it to someone else.
BigBubba
AG
Closing. I am on their email list and got the email announcing the going out of business sale.
Pyewacket
AG
I just got an e-mail that said they were going out of business. Everything 10-50% off. I was very sad as well. It pains me to think that technology and culture has changed so much that my kid's generation will never know the joys of building something with your own hands. IMO folks don't have the desire or patience to do anthing that you can't instantly swipe. I was hoping Hobby Town could bring those joys back to kids. My kids and I loved their store. The whole family of owners are terrific. Good luck to you all!!

Question: Are the rising rents in College Station making it difficult for local businesses? My dad's store closed due to the rent tripling. Is Bryan any better?
91_Aggie
AG
I grew up on models, model rockets and gaming. Going to the hobby store was great.

I was excited when it opened but with amazon.com I just don't see how a brick and mortar store can hope to compete.

I recently bought a game on amazon.com for $25 that the local shop was selling for $50. I don't mind supporting a local business but I'm not just going to throw money away.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
I grew up on models, model rockets and gaming. Going to the hobby store was great.

I was excited when it opened but with amazon.com I just don't see how a brick and mortar store can hope to compete.

I recently bought a game on amazon.com for $25 that the local shop was selling for $50. I don't mind supporting a local business but I'm not just going to throw money away.
Sad in a way but true. Internet shopping has changed retail. Bookstores, hobby shops, Radio Shack, etc. all have a harder time making it these days.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
My thoughts on a brick and mortar store like that working are that it has to be a one stop shop. Somewhere out in the county where you can have a rc racetrack, small airfield, launch site and offer classes like Home Depot. Keep overhead low, hire a really good attorney and have good insurance. Oh yeah and have lots of kids so it is a family run business. So basically not sure how that would work.
malibu9in1
Internet killed these stores. Y'all remember keysers hobby store in townshire? So cool. I'm 39...
TexAg1987
Not necessarily closing due to rising costs. They may have wanted to retire and couldn't find a buyer. Happens all the time.

I don't know anything about their situation, but I thought I remembered seeing that the business was for sale a while back. I could be wrong.
KidDoc
AG
Hmm I like doing WW2 era plane models now & then and enjoy board games I need to swing by and see what they have left on sale.

I agree with those above that it is tough for these shops to stay open with the prices & service of amazon.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
K2T2
Have any of you guys been to the RC Hobby Shop in Stafford (used to be in Sugar Land)? It's a huge store, does full services repairs and builds, and has 2 tracks. It is NOT the dusty old timer store so many of you seem to paint a picture of. Plus, there are *GASP* young people in there!! Kids even!
PS3D
quote:
Have any of you guys been to the RC Hobby Shop in Stafford (used to be in Sugar Land)? It's a huge store, does full services repairs and builds, and has 2 tracks. It is NOT the dusty old timer store so many of you seem to paint a picture of. Plus, there are *GASP* young people in there!! Kids even!

There's also a hobby shop in Rice Village that's been open since the 1940s.
klockness
AG
I never bought anything there (my son is 3 and not old enough for most of the stuff) but seemed to have good prices and the guy there was very friendly. I was eyeing a small quad copter and a couple of things I'll have to go back and get it while he's still open. Sad I was looking forward to taking my son there in a few years.
justalocal
I went there tonight based on this thread. The entire store is not onsale, there are no 'going out of business signs' posted, and the employees I asked all deny that they are going out of business.

Curious to know if the email stated that it is the store in College Station going out of business or a location elsewhere.
ChampsAg
So can someone verify the sale? I was going to take my son tomorrow
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Well I feel awful if I passed along bad information. My apologies to all. The email said they are going out of business.
UmustBKidding
Don't know about any sale but did confirm with the owner that unless they sell the store they will close on Oct 31
AggiePhil
AG
quote:
did confirm with the owner that unless they sell the store they will close on Oct 31

Sounds like they're going out of business.
threecatcorner
pretty sure I saw some going out if business, store closing, sale signs on the store's front window yesterday
BCStalk
There right now. Signs posted
BCS-Ag
10% off whole store plus a few better deals on older stuff but nothing too crazy as of yesterday evening when I stopped by.
Goose83
AG
My own experience with HobbyTown was not the best, as I ran afoul of the parent chain's no return policy. I purchased an RTF Electric from them, and when I got home I found that it had a defective tail unit. Unfortunately, my only recourse was to call the manufacturer, take a bunch of pictures, submit a claim, and then wait for the parts to arrive and repair it myself. Sorry, but if I had wanted to do that, I would have just built the thing from scratch to begin with. Needless to say that was both my first and last purchase with them, as if I'm was going to have to sit around and wait to get my hands on a working product, I might as well order online, especially as it's not only cheaper, but if there's something wrong, I know I can exchange it for one that it isn't defective. So basically, in my case, buying locally for the sake of convenience turned out to be anything but.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Just realized I have like $20 in $5 coupons I need to use there.
Post removed:
by user
Tim Weaver
Hobbytown is terrible as far as hobbyshops go. They have a no return policy for models! I mean, really? Sell chinese junk and won't accept it back even if it was bad out of the package!

Remote Control Hobbies in Spring is where we go now that PowerRC is closed. It's a shame that the locally owned places suffer so bad when a chain store moves in...
war hymn aggie
AG
IMO, Hobby-type stores can't compete with the internet these days. Consumers can find better deals online & most will take their business there.
People that think that they can make a living off this market are making a mistake. These types of shops are going the way of Sportscard shops & Video rental companies..
Tim Weaver
Thats true of many places, but you'll find that a lot of the current RC hobby places are also online retailers them selves. Also, these are the places that build and maintain tracks and race leagues. You can't find that on ebay!
frito bandito
I dropped by yesterday, and talked with the owner. There was a sale in place for the franchise, but the landlord doubled the rent for the new owner, and that has killed the deal.

Still looking for a new buyer, but under current ownership, Hobbytown will close 10/31.
originaltexan
Sounds like a John Cougar song
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Kbtx just did a segment on rising rent for businesses in College Station.
MiMi
S
quote:
I swear the KBTX reporters must get their story ideas from this site.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
They are welcome in Bryan.
FlyRod
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.