Rise Communications

2,198 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by UmustBKidding
gb2074
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm looking for an internet service provider south of College Station. CEO came out but they can't get a signal at my house. Rise Communications says they can do it. Has anyone ever heard of this company and if so, have you heard of customers having a positive or negative experience? Thanks.
double b
AG
Isn't that Sky beam reincarnated?
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Isn't that Sky beam reincarnated?
IIRC, they bought out Skybeam & others. Many on here have recommended Brazos WiFi previously.

http://www.brazoswifi.com
GSS
Texas Communications had been our very reliable provider, and when Skybeam came along and bought them, their reputation was very "questionable". Then Rise was born (rebranded Skybeam?)...and lucky for us, our service has continued w/o any issues (or price increases). They are actually installing upgraded equipment in our area, with planned 8-15M service (currently we get 3-5M down, about 1M up).

So far, so good......
gb2074
AG
Thanks for the info
UmustBKidding
Texas Comm was was good/responsive but slow. Skybeam ate Wixon Wireless first then Tx Comm. Skybeam was the opposite of good/responsive. They were C*!p personified and did not care that they were. I hear that Rise actually cares a little bit but it likely will take time to overcome the skybeam neglect and attitude.
If CEO can't reach you I suspect you are east of their main service area along Wellborn road. Brazos Wifi just got space on a tower in the 6/159 area and are putting people on their list to install when the antennas are mounted. I would send email to their Info address and get added if you are south near the Speedway and places in that area that used to be covered by CyberCom and are out of service now. If you are not in that area post your location so we can make suggestions.
BrazosWifi
Rise is Sky beam rebranded. They are all owned by JAB broadband out of Colorado. They changes their name because Rise had a positive Web presence and Skybeam's name had beeN drug through the mud.

Shoot me an email with your address and I'll give you some options.

Thanks,

Jim
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
gb2074
AG
I'm in Indian Lakes. I actually called Brazos Wifi today and he was very helpful but he said he doesn't reach Indian Lakes. He's the one who mentioned Rise. Suddenlink is going to be available at the end of the year but we are moving in this weekend and I don't want to wait until three months. I may just increase the data allowance on my cell phone for a while.
BrazosWifi
It was nice to visit with you earlier. Sorry we couldn't help you out.

I think your best bet is to use your cell data for now.

Jim
EBrazosAg
AG
Rise is the biggest disaster of a company I can imagine. Would go satellite if no CEO option.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
GSS
quote:
Rise is the biggest disaster of a company I can imagine. Would go satellite if no CEO option.
You must have never had satellite internet to make that statement....
EBrazosAg
AG
GSS....true that, but from what I hear latency is the issue with sat internet, not speed. Had Rise for 5 years. Would be fine for a day, then at 1Mbps for weeks, then at dialup for days, then normal again. That was paying for 5 Mbps . Could wait hours on hold for customer support, and still get no help. Cant imagine sat is worse, but again, I never tried it.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
UmustBKidding
I for sure would not bet money on anything Suddenlink tells you. I know people who have been told cable will be available in 3 months still waiting two years later. Know people in Pebble creek that have cable to their house but no fiber to the node over six months after they were told it would be completed. While its likely true that it will be available before the end of the year I suspect they did not volunteer which year.
It makes no sense for people like BrazosWiFi/CEO or any other WISP to build infrastructure in areas that might get service from a wireline provider in the near future. Their investment will never amortize. Some will build dedicated infrastructure to a customer if they want to cover all the cost. I have helped businesses build licensed microwave links back to ISP's where no other option was available. But most people don't want to spend $3-10K for the equipment/coordination/licensing. But if your business depends on it or you can't live without it, you can always ask if they will do it for you.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.