I have not posted in a while...please don't bash me

9,041 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by 1984Consol
1984Consol
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hello everyone. Remember me? I am back and I really could use your guys help in finding a place to live. My mom died last month If you are just going to make fun of me, then don't bother reading any further. If you genuinely want to help in my search, please read on and THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART!

I am very excited but REALLY scared all at the same time. I am still grieving over my mother's death, I will never forget her, but I have already begun a preliminary search into one bedroom apartments in College Station Texas. The house here will be tied up in probate possibly though the end of this year, and the nice lady who sold my mom this house said that auctions work best in the Spring so I am think I have until March of next year to find a place. I am considering Waco and Corpus Christi as well. I WAS thinking about Austin until I saw the prices for one bedroom apartments. The few that I fist saw in my online search showed anywhere from $1,000 a month to over $1300 a month! OUTRAGEOUS! So I think Austin is off the table. I am hoping between now and March that a financial miracle will happen and I can actually afford to move back to Texas. I need all the help I can get!

What I need right now are apartment guises in CS, Waco and/or CC if anyone knows where I can find them. Below is a list of places i am considering in CS. The first two I really dont know anything about but I know I need n apartment that is wheelchair accessible, with grab bars in the shower, Obviously I need something on the ground floor.

The Villas At Rock Prairie (senior living facility) I am only 49, will be 50 in April, don't know what the age requirement may be for the disabled.

A small block of Apartments close to the intersection of Deacon and Welsh. I don't see a sign for the place on google maps, but it may just be called "10o Deacon Drive" or something like that

Hunters Point Apartments at the intersection of SW Parkway and Welsh. Used to be called YellowHouse.

Brazos Point Apartments. I THINK they used to be called Treehouse?

Eastgate Apartments ( In the past i have been told that mostly grad students live there so it would be quiet which is a big plus)

LULAC Oak Hill. I have chatted with some0ne there and it is all one bedroom one bathroom ground floor apts and your rent is based on your income.) I am HOPING The Villas at Rock Prairie also use your income to determine the rent.

Again, thanks for anything you can do to help in my search.. This time, it's no joke. I really am coming back to Texas next year, I just dont know WHER in TX yet but I sure do love College Station!!

1984Consol
That should say apartment GUIDES, not apartment guises... I was going to edit it but the format must have changed since the last time I was on here because I can't find an edit button THAT WORKS!
jimmyb
Last time I checked villas at RP they had a wait list (I added someone to it and was called within about 4-6 weeks). I think the rate for a 1bm was 550$.

And I think the min age is 55.
Tim Weaver
I feel like Waco has the best community for middle-agers and probably has the cheapest rent out of all of your choices too.

Corpus Christi is full of crime. It's only the "sparkling city by the sea" for about 10 blocks in the downtown area. Everywhere else kinda blows.

College Station is great, but the student demand drives up the rental prices.

And finally, Austin is experiencing a gigantic population explosion. Everybody is moving there "because its cool". I would stay far, far away. Traffic is an absolute nightmare and the cost of living is high.

Waco has made tremendous strides in their community to make the city cleaner, safer, and more activity friendly. Compared to 20 years ago it's like a whole other (nicer) city.
ksp
quote:

And finally, Austin is experiencing a gigantic population explosion. Everybody is moving there "because its cool".
Ya so they say, fun to visit every few years, but agree 100% stay away from living there full time.
Brewmaster
AG
Yep, we moved to Bryan from Austin for many of the reasons you all mention. Traffic is a nightmare, even can be at non rush hour times.

If B/CS is a desirable option I wouldn't rule out Bryan... parts of it are a bit too far for students, but still plenty affordable.
armymom
Villas on Rock Prairies has a long wait list. My mom has been on it for 18 mos. I'm not an expert but I believe legally these age restricted properties do have to let someone under that said age live there if they have a place available. You may want to check Watercrest at Bryan but could be out of your price range. It is mostly older folks but really nice facilities.

Sorry about your mom and hope that your transition is smooth.
FlyRod
Are you dead set on an apartment? There are plenty of older smaller houses to rent in Bryan, and yes, in decent neighborhoods.
ratfacemcdougal
Flyrod,

Give me some examples please.
FlyRod
Sure: one area I often see for rent signs is a number of neighborhoods near the Rosemary loop, a little north of there up until you get close to Villa Maria. On both sides of Texas Ave.

Have also seen quite a few houses for rent in that area across Villa Maria where Aerofit is...I don't know the name of the neighborhood but its the one with all the Tolkien names for streets.

There are a few more further north that I'll get specifics on, and also an area east on University close to the Physician's Center.

Wheelchair accessibility in older houses may be an issue though.
Chazz03
AG
Two other tax credit properties to look at I CS are Heritage at Dartmouth and Terrace Pines. I know Heritage has a one bedroom and a two bedroom handicap unit available right now with no wait list. The one bedroom is about $570 a month
ratfacemcdougal
Thanks for the info Fly. Now I need to look at rent cost. In the OP, I read it as 1000.00 was way too much money. I am not sure any of those rent houses will be less than that. I live in far north Bryan, and would like to be closer to work in mid CS.
AggiePhil
AG
Villas of RP, Terrace Pines, Crestview, LULAC Oak Hill (maybe).
ratfacemcdougal
There is also a sister property to Terror Pines in Bryan near the UPS hub.
1984Consol
Terror Pines? Is it really THAT bad?? LOL!

Where are Crestview and Terror (I mean Terrace) Pines?

I also have heard about some apts in Bryan called Highland Villas Senior. Does anyone know anything about those?

What can anyone tell me about LULAC Oak Hill? Nice Place?

AggiePhil
AG
Terrace Pines is not bad, at least from a safety perspective. It's right up the street from the police department. LULAC is probably older and is in a slightly rougher area but that's a very relative term; we are talking about College Station here. It's worth paying both of them a visit.
Stupe
S
Call Aggieland Apartment Finders. They are free and they do all of the work for you.
CEAg78
AG
I think the various Crestview apts are a good bet. I looked at those for my mother but she deteriorated too quickly. The main building has elevators.
purplehayes
I have a 1 br that is available now at Hunters Point. I've already moved back to Colorado and it is vacant. if interested, give me some contact info.
1984Consol
Purplehayes, I am stuck here while the estate is in probate. The house they are planning to sell in the spring of next year. This why I am starting my preliminary search NOW, so 6 months from now I will hopefully have chosen what I need and can get back to CS or at least SOMEWHERE in Texas. I need a ground floor handicapped accessible, and I need a grab bar in the shower. I have my own shower bench, and I can buy a handheld shower wand if I need to change out the showerhead (assuming the apartments will let me do that) How did you like the place? Also, where are the mailboxes at? I can't see them in google maps. Thanks
purplehayes
Mine won't work for you then, as my lease runs out in November. Mailboxes are in the laundry room next to the pool. Not luxury, but not a dump. Quiet neighbors and in a pretty good location.
1984Consol
How about the parking? Did you ever have an issues with parking, especially during Consol football games (since the complex is so close to the school)? Is it hard to get in and out during school zones? I wish they would let you opt out of the cable, maybe that would bring the rent down from 585 or whatever is showed online

1984Consol
I am also eyeing "The Meridian" but it mentions water and gas being paid. I winder if the apartments are all gas appliances at The meridian?
purplehayes
My rent is $575. Never had a problem with parking. Seemed to be enough parking close to Consol's stadium, so no tied up spaces that I noticed.
1984Consol
Even though that rent is too high for my taste, I know that neighborhood VERY well, since I graduated from Conslopidated in 1984 (hence my "handle"). I did notice on their website something about discounts for lump sum payments. Do you know anything about that? I am going to call them anyway. Oh and how was maintenance in responding to any requests for you? I appreciate all your input. thank you.
purplehayes
Maintainance guy lives on site, and is pretty good/fast. I don't have any details about the lump sum rent discount, but they do have one.
1984Consol
Purplehayes, do a lot of college students live at Hunter's point or is it mostly working class families? I have been waiting to get a brochure from Hunter's point but I haven't gotten it. Haven't checked today's mail yet. I wish I could have helped you with your lease. A ground floor one bedroom is PERFECT for me, but I also need a handicapped apartment, wheelchair accessible, and with a grab bar in the shower. Oldham Goodwin also owns Brazos Point Apartments so I have been looking at them as well. But if I come back in march or April that is not an easy time to rent in a suitcase town like college station because the students who leave for the summer will usually leave in May right?
1984Consol
ttt hoping someone, anyone can help me...
threecatcorner
If you find somewhere that is otherwise accessible, maybe you could get them to install a grab bar in the shower. I think it would probably open up a lot more choices if you could get a landlord to agree to add one.
threecatcorner
check https://aggiesearch.tamu.edu

It would probably be a good place to look for leases that start at an odd time.

That page is handled by A&M's off-campus housing office. It is instead of the little box of listings they used to have. You don't have to be one of their students to use that search page. It just lists some options, including subleases, apartment complexes, and private landlords.
1984Consol
Does anybody know anything about The Heritage at Dartmouth in CS or Highland Villas on Wildflower (off of Briarcrest) in Bryan?
Mr. Griswold
Avoid both.
Chazz03
AG
quote:
Avoid both.
Helpful

Heritage is fine and is run by a very good developer if you want to live in college station this is pretty much your only option for low-income housing. Highland is brand new and really nice but is dealing with some fair housing issues that should be worked out soon. They also are having more issues with undesirable relatives moving in with the leases.

Properties in your price point are going to be extremely hard to find here.
1984Consol
Properties in my price point are going to be extremely hard to find ANYWHERE (

Thanks for the input
FlyRod
Have you thought about looking outside BCS...Snook, Hearne, etc.? Its no secret that housing prices and rents are going through the roof here, and while that bubble will burst, its going to be a long time before that happens. $1000-$1300 a month sounds about right.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.