moms + kids on bikes + Royder Rd = accident waiting to happen

3,518 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by JR Ewing
Jet Blue
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
yes moms you have the right to walk/ride your kids down that dangerous road but why risk it?
techno-ag
AG
Bad idea.
justalocal
Feel the same about greens prairie trail. The infrastructure isnt suitable for pedestrians/bicyclists yet. I know some of the residents have reached out to the city about sidewalks but they are not expected anytime soon.
95_Aggie
AG
or Greens Prairie Road
FlyRod
This will get worse before it gets better. As the population grows, younger and health conscious folks will grow in number too, and they will want places to walk, which BCS is woefully lacking in.
PhiAggie
AG
Ugh
TheAlarmGuy
or RP towards Lick creek park
AggiePhil
AG
I thought I read that GPT will be widened with sidewalks soon.
justalocal
quote:
I thought I read that GPT will be widened with sidewalks soon.
the city says that funding and design will be in 2016 and construction to begin in 2017 (but I think they have to get voter approval for a bond for funding first).
redchapterjubilee
CoCS knows it's an accident waiting to happen. A bunch of Creek Meadows residents bumrushed a zoning change meeting for CM last fall and spoke to the city at length about their plans for Royder and both Greens Prairies and what we as residents were hoping to see done. Sidewalks on GP Trail and Royder were the first request. The city demured, saying that they couldn't do anything until after the sewage line was buried (that completed in the spring) and then Royder is too narrow and will require significant bridging to allow for the proper width and bond measures, etc. Creek Meadows began construction nine years ago. The city has had PLENTY of time to react. When someone gets hit, the city will (and should) get sued. Then maybe they will take it seriously enough to make such a project a priority.
dfphotos
more city government is definitely the answer
rhoswen
AG
No, they should not get sued. If it's so dangerous, don't ride bikes there.

That's like me driving my truck off a bridge and suing the city for not making the guard rails high enough to keep my truck on the road.
dfphotos
not sure if thats the best example given what happened in Houston today
TheAlarmGuy
quote:

That's like me driving my truck off a bridge and suing the city for not making the guard rails high enough to keep my truck on the road.
or a sign that says "Don't eat any plastic parts found in ice cream"
rhoswen
AG
quote:
not sure if thats the best example given what happened in Houston today

Maybe so, but you see my point.
JR Ewing
AG
quote:

Not exactly, the school makes parents dropping off their students at Greens Prairie Elementary to be classified as walker, car rider, or bus rider. The car rider lines are extremely long and can back up to the entrances of the neighborhoods across Royder at times. Parents in the surrounding neighborhoods are forced to walk their kids to and from school, as the bus isn't offered to nearby neighborhoods. Without sidewalks, the City is wide open for a lawsuit. The citizens in those surrounding neighborhoods have been asking for sidewalks for a very long time. At the very least, they could have the mowers get rid of the really high grass and create a path for residents of CM to use. They can't walk in the high grass now because the city isn't mowing and residents are very aware of the Copperheads which live in the high grass. They have no choice but to try and walk along the street with their kids.
UmustBKidding
Everyone knows the fix is not sidewalks, bike lanes or requiring schools to include enough lanes/parking to hold the traffic for drop off and pickup. The solution is known to the COCS and its to add 50+ no parking signs on all roads near the school. This was proven so successful at Greens Prairie last year they are going to implement it again at Spring Creek.
techno-ag
AG
You would think a city so concerned about development that they give builders and new small businesses what-for when they go before P&Z would see to it that areas around schools were safer.
dfphotos
girl in Houston has been dead around 12 hours and her mom is already suing the bus driver, the district, and the guard rail maker. coming soon to a city near you.
JR Ewing
AG
Don't worry...the City of College Station has a plan. A plan that takes time...a plan that actually takes 2 years to put into place. #getreadyforalawsuitfromsomeoneoncetheygethitbyacar Sure, they can throw up elementary schools in a year, but a couple sidewalks are going to take 2 years...

City will build sidewalks IN 2 YEARS!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.