bicyclist hit by car

1,925 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by originaltexan
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/bicyclist-hit-by-car-near-a-m-campus/article_b1e61d1e-3240-5c33-8e94-d020a1434a7e.html

Now that students are back in full force, keep an eye out for bicyclists while driving. This one was hit by a car going through a green light on Wellborn last week, close to midnight. The rider wasn't wearing a helmet but escaped serious injury because the driver was going slow through the intersection.

Be careful & stay safe.
halibut sinclair
jh88ag
AG
Amen! I hit a cyclist once on campus many years ago. Even though he was at fault, I felt awful that I was unable to avoid hitting him. He was hospitalized with significant, but non-life threatening, injuries. He was an international student and had no insurance.

Just be alert and stay safe!
FlyRod
originaltexan
I've seen a recumbent bike going down Wellborn. Cars doing about 55 MPH, and the cyclist could barely hold his head up due to age, fatigue, and heat. Cars swerving to miss him.

It is amazing that people venture on the roads as they do. Reminds me of that game called Frogger.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frogger
Builder93
AG
And if you are on campus, quite seriously, watch out for the bicyclists whether walking or in a car. They'll hit you.

I know a guy who had a cyclist run smack into the side of his truck at a light and i witnessed a girl get hit by a bike.
Wildmen03
AG
In college I got hit by a bike while I was walking through crosswalk and she blew through a stop sign on campus. I'd have been more pissed but she hurt herself more than she hurt me.
Frio Cielo
Bikers will most all the time lose the battle with cars.

Many bikers don't know the traffic laws. .

When there is a bike lane on both sides of the street, they need to travel with traffic. I almost hit a biker earlier this summer in the half light of the morning on George Bush across from campus. There are bike lanes on both sides and there is even arrows pointing the direct of bike travel. I looked both ways and started out from Fairview and all of a sudden here comes a biker traveling fast as he could peddle the wrong way in the bike lane. I missed him by about six inches when he swerved into the outside lane. He was lucky that I didn't hit him and also that he didn't hit an oncoming car head on.

We need to try to avoid hitting bikers, but that is a two way street as they will lose 100% of the time.

Brewmaster
AG
I ride for exercise, mostly country roads - Old Reliance and Rock Prairie past Lick Creek south of town to Millican. There are a LOT of cyclists south of Lick Creek down Peach Creek on Saturdays and Sundays - just keep an eye out for them. I steer clear of busy roads myself, but not all of them do.
FlyRod
A lot of cyclists from other countries aren't as familiar with the rules of the road, signaling, etc and present a special problem.

Since TAMU built that pedestrian passageway under Wellborn, maybe some creative bike paths that take bikes out of the way of cars will be explored.
K2T2
quote:
When there is a bike lane on both sides of the street, they need to travel with traffic.
This is something really important that a lot of people still don't know. I'll usually see older people or people in uniform on their way to work (so they're doing this 5 times a week) riding the wrong way in the bike lane, sometimes without lights at night. Super dangerous!

It would be rad to have occasional signs at major points in the bike lane that remind riders of things like:
- Go with the flow of traffic
- Obey traffic laws
- Front and rear lights at night

Along with a red Wrong Way sign on the back with a bike on it or something to indicate it's specifically saying, yeah, you, on the bike! Wrong way!
originaltexan
There's nothing you can do, paint, erect or install that will help someone understand safety. You either are safety minded or your not.

Imagine riding a recumbent bike about 5 mph and the speed limit is 55 mph. You have boys in jacked up trucks blowing black exhaust smoke hauling ***, lane changing, radio blaring, 3 other guys in the truck. The guy on the bike would tell you he is safe because he has an orange vest.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.