F150 AC sad story

3,293 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by halibut sinclair
KidDoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
(cross posted to Auto board)

TLDR version;
How much should I expect AC compressor to cost for a 2009 F150, parts & labor?

Long version:
We noticed our 2009 F150 was blowing cool, but not cold, air. Since we haven't found a mechanic we love in BCS yet we took it to the local Ford dealership understanding it would cost a bit more but maybe they would know what they are doing and fix it right the first time. After the initial testing, they said it was one AC actuator out which was a $50 part but, since it was buried in the dash, they recommend replacing both units for a bargain cost of $1850 with parts & labor. I grimaced and paid as the truck has been fairly good for us over the last 106K miles.

We picked up the truck and not only was the air still blowing cool, not cold, but they had cracked the plastic piece covering the speedometer when they put it back together. We called and scheduled another service visit to get that fixed (for free) and to recheck the AC. This time they said it was a leaky exhaust manifold (aka pipe) and that would be $650 to fix. I ok'd that repair. The day after it was supposed to be ready they called again and now say it is a bad & leaky compressor and that will be another $1100 to fix. So now we are in about $3600 to fix an AC on a 6 year old 106K mile vehicle. I told them no thanks and to put it back together and we will take it elsewhere or just not fix it.

Is this a typical sequence of events? It seems sloppy that they cannot figure out that the compressor is bad right away but I know next to nothing about vehicles.

And what should I expect to pay parts & labor for a replacement ac compressor? I would be fine with OEM/Refurb unit.

Also any BCS area mechanic suggestions? We tried Christian Bros and I thought they were pricey but seemed to do ok work on my 2007 Miata, at least they fixed it properly.

They called this morning after we picked it up and said they are appealing to Ford to help them with the compressor cost, which is nice I guess but whatever.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Wow you got royally screwed.
nwspmp
The part itself is cheap; I've found aftermarket online for less than $200 with genuine from Ford around $650. Labor to do it at any shop should be significantly less than $3000...
carpe vinum
AG
New name, same sacks of crap.
aggmaroon
AG
Brazos Valley Automotive on Ponderosa. My AC and my husband's have had issues over the last year. Neither was even close to what you paid. The first one sounds like what happened to his Ford F150 since they said the part was $50. Both vehicles blow cold air now!
sangria
AG
I've had good luck with B&B Automotive and with Brazos Valley Automotive. B&B worked on my '99 Dodge 2500 and BVA has done work on my '10 Ford F150. Definitely don't feel like I get jerked around at either establishment, no upselling or general BS.
GSS
".... it was a leaky exhaust manifold (aka pipe) and that would be $650 to fix."

How did they convince you this had something to do with an A/C issue?
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Comparison shop. Take the estimate from the friendly, neighborhood gouger and go to some different shops. It's a good way to find a mechanic you like.
KidDoc
AG
quote:
".... it was a leaky exhaust manifold (aka pipe) and that would be $650 to fix."

How did they convince you this had something to do with an A/C issue?
Because I don't know squat about cars!

Thanks for all the input very good information and tips. To their credit the Ford Service Center is going to complete the repair for $0 after they went over the case with the service manager Greg. I was very happy with their customer service staff but my confidence in their mechanic's skill is very low.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
One Louder
AG
I'm glad they realized what needed to happen. Great lesson in customer service. I'll be happy to have cold air in my truck once again!
Justified
I've had some issues with that "local ford dealer" and usually treat me fair. Now I've been there twice with the same problem and the second time they ate the costs and gave me a rental.
SumAggie
and (is it just me) I want to choke the guy on their commercials.....!
kevmiller
If you take your vehicle to CS Ford aka Varsity Ford for repairs you may as well drop your pants and bend over at the service counter and let every employee there take turns having their way with you.

I don't know of a perfect mechanic to take vehicles to but I do know that I will not give CS Ford one more dime of my money and will tell others the same.
Most crooked dealership imaginable.
rrose
AG
Amen to getting screwed by CS Ford and never going back
Post removed:
by user
halibut sinclair
Varsity and CS Ford have always treated me well. There are plenty of good folks in the service dept.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.