Razoo's Cajun Cafe

6,707 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by BCStalk
labmansid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I thought I would try out Razoo's this afternoon before the evening crowd arrived. It was a slow time, and they had a lot of waitstaff there, presumably prepared for a busier time coming later. They all seemed pretty bored and there was a lot of milling around trying to look busy. Since I went alone, I guess I was a prime target for all of their attentions! It was difficult to take a bite without someone asking how I was doing, how everything tasted, etc.

Anyway, I ordered the Skillet Combo, which includes a serving each of Shrimp Creole, Andouille sausage, Crawfish Etoufee, Red Beans and rice, and Corn on the Cob. The food arrived very quickly, very little wait. Pretty understandable given the guest to staff ratio at the time. I arrived about 4:15, and was out well before 5:00.

First off, the corn wasn't as fresh as it could have been to me. It was good, but seemed like it had likely been sitting for a while in limbo waiting to be served, and was slightly mushy. Might be better at a time when it is more likely to be served more quickly after being cooked.

Otherwise, the other dishes were much better. There was plenty of spiciness, as well as lots of rice. If you don't like spicy food, you might want to try something tamer. The Creole was served on a bed of white rice, which was also shared with the red beans. The Etoufee was on a bed of cajun rice. The flavors were very good to me, to go along with the spiciness. Not bad for a chain type restaurant, anyway. I have eaten at a Razoo's in the Houston area before, and this one seems really similar to that one.

w8liftr
How does it compare to M-Beaux or Swamp Tails?
jja79
AG
If you think M-Beaux is good try Remnant of Nawlins. It's far better.
redd38
AG
Price?
FlyRod
The recent frenetic arguing about Cajun places is a nice departure from the pizza and burger wars of TexAgs past.
TLIAC
AG
We went to the soft opening this weekend and everything was delish. The "Rat Tails" were hot (I'll admit I'm kind of a wimp) but good, my skillet combo was wonderful and the bread pudding was to die for (and I don't even like bread pudding). The boyfriend had the shrimp poor boy and he said it was great. Service was awesome, drinks were good. I can't really say enough good things about our experience. They were really crowded and it didn't seem to hamper the great service even though they were still in "training" mode.

We will definately go back.
techno-ag
AG
Had a similar experience this weekend, TLIAC. Will definitely go back, too.
halibut sinclair
toolshed
AG
We've eaten at a couple, recently at the one in Cedar Hill. The corn is not that gray the last few times I had it. It was more mushy than crisp, add it should be off the cob. I'm sure it's over booked and left under lamps.

My go to dish, and I don't branch out much since we don't eat there often, is the fried catfish and shrimp platter. Both are tasty and the cherry mustard they serve instead of cocktail side is great! We will have to stop in this week before the students return.
Cancelled
AG
It's good, but our waitress did the whole sit down at our table routine. I HATE that ****. You're not my friend, you're not my family, just smile and take my order. If you do that you get paid.
labmansid
quote:
Price?
Their menu can be found here. The Combo Skillet I had was 12.99. Total with a glass of tea plus tax was $16 and change.
AggiePlaya
AG
quote:
It's good, but our waitress did the whole sit down at our table routine. I HATE that ****. You're not my friend, you're not my family, just smile and take my order. If you do that you get paid.

Damn scrooge, a little cranky are we?
mgreen
Only took four post before someone asked about prices. That is progress.
labmansid
quote:
How does it compare to M-Beaux or Swamp Tails?
To be honest, I haven't had the same type dishes at each place. I've only been to M-Beaux 3 or 4 times, and I usually get the fried platter there. We have been to Swamp Tails once since they opened, and I got the fried platter there, while the wife got blackened Redfish.

If I had to choose, I would probably have to go with M-Beaux myself. It has more of the home made feel to it, and the dining area is a bit less noisy than the other two. Razoo's had the music cranked up pretty loud to me, but of course I'm an old, too. At M-Beaux, the shrimp and oysters were larger than at Swamp Tails (the fried oysters were pretty small at Swamp Tails, they have been huge at M-Beaux). The wife's redfish at Swamp Tails was good, although she thought it was a little on the dry side. It would be perfect if M-Beaux was in town.
Jack Bristow
AG
Ate there yesterday. It was fantastic. The Rat Toes (sp?) were excellent and their oysters were very good. My party had the combo skillet and the cajun choose two (or something like that). I had the gator and it was especially good.

Hurricanes were particularly strong and tasty.

Oh, and Luicci made an appearance.
aggieparent
We ate there yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The food was great, and the service was top notch. Our drinks were refilled often and before they were completely empty. It was a little loud, but I think that's the nature of the place. We had a great time, and hope to go back soon!
Scoopen Skwert
AG
When I was stationed at Ft. Hood we would go to the one in Kileen and Round Rock. That place is amazing.
Broncos
Went on Wednesday and will definitely be back.

We were seated fairly quickly during peak hours. The staff was friendly but appears to have a few kinks to work out, which is expected. Our food came out before our drinks which was interesting...

The food was excellent. I had the jalapeno catfish and we started with the pickle puckers. Recommend both.

It was cheaper than I expected also.
ThatSneakyAzzAleppoMoment
I wasn't crazy about the food I was served. I think next time I'll order something different. The price was reasonable though.
LastHamlet
AG
quote:
I wasn't crazy about the food I was served. I think next time I'll order something different. The price was reasonable though.
Would be nice to know what you ordered.
KidDoc
AG
quote:
quote:
Would be nice to know what you ordered.
+1
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
techno-ag
AG
Went again tonight to sample different dishes. The place was packed. Noise level high, similar to Roadhouse or Cheddars. Food & service were great. We tried the fondue, alligator tale, blackened fish and shrimp brochettes. Everything excellent & reasonably priced. Great beer selection on tap, too.
FlyRod
AgsWin2011
AG
Where is M-Beaux? I've never heard of it.
techno-ag
AG
quote:

Take 30 toward Huntsville. In Carlos, take a right on 244. Go a few miles, it'll be on the side of the road.
FlyRod
Prune Tracy
quote:
quote:

Take 30 toward Huntsville. In Carlos, take a right on 244. Go a few miles, it'll be on the side of the road.

Good, because it'd be really unsafe to be in the middle of the road.
halibut sinclair
techno-ag
FlyRod
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Ate there tonight. Yummy.
MBAR
AG
Ate there today. Got a po boy and wasn't impressed. Wanted something like Ragin Cajun down in Houston. My margarita was pretty terrible. The Po Boy wasn't bad, it was just meh. The etouffee my wife got was better but doubt we'll return.
stdscf12
How are their cocktails? Anything special?
Max06
AG
Does Razoo's have a lunch menu?
CN
quote:
Does Razoo's have a lunch menu?
Yes, but it doesn't show up for CS. Just select one of the other cities, I tried a couple and they were the same.

It' basically a selection of a few dishes with smaller portions at $7.99.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.