***Official Brazos Valley High School Football Thread***

43,742 Views | 346 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by nickstro66
nickstro66
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They're all doing a great job so I would assume they'll be around for awhile. Didn't know if any of the smaller schools had anything going on.
nickstro66
AG
New District 18-5A

Bryan
Rudder
College Station
Consol
Temple
Waco
Waco University
nickstro66
AG
New District 10-4A

Bridge City
Cleveland
Huffman Hargrave
Livingston
Navasota
Orange Little Cypress-Mauriceville
Silsbee
AgFan1999
AG
it's roughly 180 miles from Navasota to Bridge City and Orange. Nice work UIL!
TAMU1990
AG
I still don't see how Temple kept its numbers under 2150. Just for curiosity sake I went to their ISD website and looked at their accountability reports. The 4 grades that would of been in the snapshot had them over 2400. I know it's from the 13-14 school year, but they must of lost a lot of kids to fall back under 2150. Plus, if those numbers are correct for the lower grades, they will be 6A next time. They have to be the largest school in the district.
EVA3
AG
18-AAAAA just got a lot saltier!

Glad to see Bryan-Temple become a district rivalry again. It used to be one of the biggest rivalries in the state. Most of the current students probably don't even realize that.
gettingitdone
Back when I was in hs,,,this was a huge rivalry. We used to have "mourn Temple" day and would have a funeral procession from Manor East Mall to BHS. It was great. We used to write on our windshields too....." Tuck Femple". Guess we thought that was cute too. School administrators didn't....Lol
Coach Dub
Rockdale AND Franklin AND Cameron Yoe in District 10-3A Div 1. Wow.

That will be 3 GREAT football games.
Oogway
I agree, Wendy. Were the #s you were looking at showing around 2050 for the last realignment in 2014? Guess they aren't growing as fast as the BCS area? Did a new school (private?) open or something? Bryan and Temple will be the two largest schools, and the rest will be around 1700 give or take, right?

I never minded driving to Willis, Huntsville, etc but I have felt a little bad for Livingston--fairly overmatched in the current district so it is just as well they are moving down a class. New district will be ...interesting and only seven teams instead of eight.
pudge
quote:
it's roughly 180 miles from Navasota to Bridge City and Orange. Nice work UIL!

Just for football only! But if I was them, I would take the better competition instead of playing in that district with Houston ISD where every game was like 60 or more to nothing. Plus these school will travel well overall and make up some of the money at the gate that Navasota didn't get the past two years.
w8liftr
How about Brenham having to go to Huntsville, Magnolia, Willis instead of BCS.
Oogway
This is a bump of a thread reaching back not one, but two UIL realignments and yes, the Snapshot day for new realignments is approaching at the end of this month. Lot of water under the bridge since then and some great football games, too.

Area schools are in the middle of District play for football (and volleyball, while cross country is prepping for the District meets) so it seemed like a good time to start the speculations and rumors regarding where area teams will be placed and which teams might share a district. Or how deep into the playoffs you think local teams will reach.

It would be nice if people kept the comments related to that and did not stray into comments about zoning, coaching staffs, etc, etc, etc. In other words, this is a football thread not a chance to air grievances unless it relates to the sometimes quirky district alignments.
nickstro66
AG
It was pretty cool going back through this thread from the beginning. I was a student at A&M when I made this and I was coaching as well. Pretty awesome to be back!
RG20
Bryan 0-5 in district after tonights loss to Cy Park. Not going to be mean here but MY GOD it's bad over there. Not sure that Bryan will move back down, they could very well stay 6a for next two years.
Oogway
I don't know what their (Bryan's) attendance numbers are projected to be. Their district is pretty competitive. The new school Bridgeland (which in the strange world of coincidences has the former Consol coach) is in an area that is growing rapidly so I expect those alignments to shift around as the growth continues.

The disparity between schools at the lowest end of a division and the upper becomes apparent pretty rapidly although there are outliers. Numbers matter. I've heard rumors that this may be the year they expand 6A but I don't have very good intel anymore so I will believe it when I see it. I think it is more wishful thinking and it's more likely that they will have the DI/DII like they have now for some divisions. I wish they would do that for all the sports though and not split it up just for football. Provides better continuity but I see the other POV, too.

I don't know if CS, Rudder, and AMC will be back in the same division or if CS is still too large to step down to DII.

nickstroh66- glad you enjoyed the thread bump. Time passes quickly doesn't it?!
victory
AG
the UIL snapshot numbers are due by October 27. Hearing some rumors that Bryan ISD might redraw some lines to get Bryan High in 5A D1. What they drop Rudder will add likely pushing them into 5A D1 as well. CS Should stay the same and have no idea about Consol right now.

very possible we could see at least 3 of the local schools in the same 5A D1 district next year, possibly all 4. Id imagine they would get placed with the current 8-5A district that CS is currently in bc that district looks to have alot of movement. Very likely that Lufkin and Willis move to D2 and Tomball to 6A

so could see a district of the local schools, the magnolia schools, Waller and Caney Creek.
Wicked Good Ag
It is already time to go to a 7A in Texas and get rid of division status
gibby03
AG
victory said:

the UIL snapshot numbers are due by October 27. Hearing some rumors that Bryan ISD might redraw some lines to get Bryan High in 5A D1. What they drop Rudder will add likely pushing them into 5A D1 as well. CS Should stay the same and have no idea about Consol right now.

very possible we could see at least 3 of the local schools in the same 5A D1 district next year, possibly all 4. Id imagine they would get placed with the current 8-5A district that CS is currently in bc that district looks to have alot of movement. Very likely that Lufkin and Willis move to D2 and Tomball to 6A

so could see a district of the local schools, the magnolia schools, Waller and Caney Creek.

That's not going to happen with Bryan HS. They will be 6A again from everything I've heard.
Oogway
Last years cut off numbers were:
6A 2190 and above
5A 1150-2189
4A 505-1149
3A 225-504
2A 105-224
1A 104 and below

The split for football was
Div. I 1840-2189
Div II 1150-1839

They classify 6A with a maximum of 250 schools and a minimum of 220. With the rapid growth across the state, the 6A cutoff should go higher. The problem is there is quite a bit of disparity between a school with 1150 and 2189 students. But regardless, as the saying goes, the cutoff will end up being one higher than the number of Highland Park students, (j/k).

Does anyone know if Consol will have at least 1850 students? I heard CSHS was probably going to stay where they are as they won't be higher than the current cutoff even if it doesn't change.
pudge
Putting all of the schools in D1/2 for all sports would create double the number of state championships than we have now. Plus the travel nightmare on Tuesday nights would be burdensome to the student-athletes especially in west Texas.

But just look at that in Consol and Rudder's current football district. A Tuesday night from Lanar Consolidated to Cleveland with Houston traffic would make all of our trips to Killeen when I coached at Consol look like a trip around the corner.

I loved it when I coached in small schools when all of our opponents in all sports were the same. It was even better when the volleyball and football teams played the same opponent on Friday nights, girls/boys basketball, and softball/baseball at same site during district play. Created better rivalries and more support because of the centralized schedules.
nickstro66
AG
I believe the TAPPS realignments will be coming out soon as well. Definitely something I'll be looking out for.

I'll be curious to see if the UIL realignments effect any of the local schools. I also selfishly wish Consol and CSHS would play each other again.
gibby03
AG
nickstro66 said:

I believe the TAPPS realignments will be coming out soon as well. Definitely something I'll be looking out for.

I'll be curious to see if the UIL realignments effect any of the local schools. I also selfishly wish Consol and CSHS would play each other again.

Unless they are placed in the same district, they won't. Odds of them being both D1 or D2 are slim. So, unfortunately it's probably not going to happen.
Wicked Good Ag
Instead of division 1 and 2 just go with 7A or even maybe an 8A as well. 1a becomes six man and figure out how you want to do 1a in other sports like volleyball
gibby03
AG
Travel. Simple answer is to get into a 7A you're talking about schools that are HOURS away from each other. Putting them into a district will be troublesome. Yes, you have some West Texas teams in this boat now but it's usually one team as the outlier, not every team in the district being hours away from each other.
Oogway
You are right about travel. That is big on several fronts. As such a large state with a large population, though, it would be nice if the UIL could work on a vision for the future; one that keeps a lot of what makes the current organization great but doesn't penalize the smallest and largest classifications.

California has a large population, and also has travel issues, but I am not a big fan of their set-up in part because it doesn't really have one public school championship the same way Texas does and that is an issue for people.

I'm mostly spitballing here, I don't expect much to change any time soon.

Guess we will all find out in a few months after UIL receives the numbers from next week.
gibby03
Wicked Good Ag
Depends on where the numbers fall and cutoffs are

You will have many schools every year select to play up in class to avoid travel situations

I think the sooner we go to 8A and work the logistics the better.
Aggie
AG
Oogway
I cannot vouch the accuracy, but if my source is correct, the numbers for this year are:

Bryan High 2366
Bryan Rudder 1607
A&M Consolidated 1834
College Station 2075
Brenham 1501

The increase for A&M Consolidated may assist in the two CS schools being placed in the same district. However, if the DI and DII cutoff numbers for football remain the same, then the schools would be in different divisions.
gibby03
AG
1865 looks to be the number for D1 and D2 split for 5A. That would keep Consol down in D2. Probably not going to be together again.
victory
AG
last week of the regular season

Consol is in the playoffs and likely another huge matchup with Fort Bend Marshall in the 2nd round

College Station must beat Magnolia West or they miss the playoffs.

Rudder must be Huntsville or they miss the playoffs

Bryan closes out their season friday
Oogway
Bryan has had a tough time this year, but hopefully they can move forward and make improvements.

Rudder is making gains and that is nice to see. They are one of the smaller 5A schools and best of luck to them against rival Huntsville. Making the playoffs would be a first for their program (per the Eagle).

Consol has had injuries this season, but is still plugging away. Their path through the playoffs is not an easy one.

Cougars have an interesting mix of older and younger players. Should have no problem beating Mag West at home to seal their spot. When they get fired up, they play very well and I expect them to be ready to roll.

Good luck to all this week.
nickstro66
AG
BCS Playoffs

CSHS vs John Tyler 11/15 7:00 PM at CSHS
Consol vs Pine Tree 11/15 7:00 PM at Consol
Brazos Christian vs Calvary Christian 11/15 6:30 PM at Brazos Christian
Allen Academy vs Longview Christian Heritage 11/15 7:00 PM at Allen Academy
St. Joseph vs Bracken Christian 11/16 3:00 PM at Bracken Christian

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.