More TAMU Public Private Partnerships Dorms

7,362 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by techno-ag
runawaytrain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pretty ridiculous, TAMU dorms , more tax dollars not being captured, while the burden on the local tax payer goes up. Silence from city hall related to this.
cslifer
If it hadn't been a partnership and TAMU had built it on their own it would still be tax free...I really don't see an issue
InMyOpinion
quote:
Pretty ridiculous, TAMU dorms , more tax dollars not being captured, while the burden on the local tax payer goes up. Silence from city hall related to this.

What tax dollars are not being captured? It looks like it is being built in property that has A&M has owned for years.
runawaytrain
Will or will not those living in the dorms take advantage CS services, such as: Fire, Police, roads, street maintenance, etc? And should those who use that service not pay their fare share as all other tax paying citizens do?
australopithecus robustus
This occurs in many college towns. And doesn't College Station exist because of A&M?
W
AG
it's a fair question to ask with regard to services
runawaytrain
I would argue that CS would "exist" with or without TAMU. Now the growth and size would be different. But there would be some balance between the tax base and what services the city provides. When a non-tax paying entity such as TAMU builds such dorms/apartments with a public-private partnership. They do not contribute to their fare share of the weight or burden on services the city must provide. Were talking about a now multiple million dollar - apartment complex(s) that had the free market been able to build, would have contributed to the ever growing needs of the City.

Ask yourself, why do we need a larger police station, or larger budgets for city streets, etc? Mainly due to population growth in our town (which is great). But, when the needs due to the growth are not backed by tax paying citizens/entities through property taxes (which is how counties/cities are able to pay for services), this causes an undue weight on property owning tax paying citizens.

Also, just because it happens in other towns, does not in my opinion imply that it is right.

jja79
AG
I'm sure it would exist and be about like Hearne.
RDH80
AG
CS might not have ever existed without A&M.
Might have been south side of Bryan
Fonzie Scheme
AG
quote:
I'm sure it would exist and be about like Hearne.

You might be a little generous.
jja79
AG
You don't want to be too harsh with someone's fantasy.
75AG
AG
quote:
You don't want to be too harsh with someone's fantasy.
Wouldn't its name just be Station?
runawaytrain
So what jja79 and 75AG are implying is that CS should just bend over and take whatever TAMU does and live with it, because without it, we would just be like a small town?
taxpreparer
AG
runawaytrain is correct that the city/county/school district will not receive any property taxes form this. Of course, if A&M already owned the land, then it was already exempt. However, it isn't like the students (and their parents) don't pay any sales taxes when they eat in restaurants or shop locally. CISD is the real loser because they don't get a cut of the sales tax. Om the other hand, if this is student housing; how many kids will they add to the public schools?
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
75AG
AG
quote:
So what jja79 and 75AG are implying is that CS should just bend over and take whatever TAMU does and live with it, because without it, we would just be like a small town?
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying....
taxpreparer
AG

quote:
Or, maybe what they are saying is that if you buy a house next to the railroad tracks, or choose to live in a city where the state has a high level of property ownership, you shouldn't complain about the noise from the trains, or the fact that the state entity keeps expanding.
kraut
AG
quote:
I would argue that CS would "exist" with or without TAMU. Now the growth and size would be different. But there would be some balance between the tax base and what services the city provides. When a non-tax paying entity such as TAMU builds such dorms/apartments with a public-private partnership. They do not contribute to their fare share of the weight or burden on services the city must provide. Were talking about a now multiple million dollar - apartment complex(s) that had the free market been able to build, would have contributed to the ever growing needs of the City.

Ask yourself, why do we need a larger police station, or larger budgets for city streets, etc? Mainly due to population growth in our town (which is great). But, when the needs due to the growth are not backed by tax paying citizens/entities through property taxes (which is how counties/cities are able to pay for services), this causes an undue weight on property owning tax paying citizens.

Also, just because it happens in other towns, does not in my opinion imply that it is right.

I have no problem with TAMU doing this. Putting 3400 students on campus means there are 3400 less cars in the neighborhoods and further away from campus. The university is growing, and the more students they can house on campus the less strain they are putting on all those city services you listed.
originaltexan
We need something like Oregon's optional NEW TAX to drive

Many folks enjoy more and new taxes.

When I asked my good friends if they would appreciate an overall tax rate of 60%, or 70%, or 90%, they wouldn't answer me, but told me I was stoopid.
InMyOpinion
quote:
Will or will not those living in the dorms take advantage CS services, such as: Fire, Police, roads, street maintenance, etc? And should those who use that service not pay their fare share as all other tax paying citizens do?

I agree to a certain extent but since this project will be on campus, I would assume that A&M entities would handle some of those services - police, street maintenance etc. I see it as adding more rooms closer to campus helps other areas of the city. If we are growing at a pace that doesn't just move students closer to campus then that will mean there is more students spending money and generating sales tax money. It's just the cycle of things when you are home to one of the largest universities in the US
techno-ag
AG
A&M has always had dorms. Good grief, people.
FlyRod
When monstrosities like that complex on Discovery Drive are complete (in addition to the others), the horrific traffic situations that will result will displace the tax issue as the primary concern in people's minds.

T&P for those who work on West Campus.
AggieAces06
AG
TAMU has its own Police Department. The fire departments from both Bryan and College Station do assist when needed on campus, but there is an agreement in place for those services.

The water/electric would be serviced the same way it is already done on the rest of campus.

I fail to see how this puts a burden on the City. It will however create more people living here that can spend money in stores and increase the sales tax revenue.
FlyRod
Think of it this way: if it weren't for all these new apartments/dorms, we'd really be ratcheting up the kvetching about students moving into residential neighborhoods.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
I lived in a dorm when I was a student at A&M. Didn't realize I was a terrible burden on the townspeople while I was doing that.

Sorry about that, ya'll. Who should I make my check out to?
Clo004
quote:
I lived in a dorm when I was a student at A&M. Didn't realize I was a terrible burden on the townspeople while I was doing that.

Best comment in this thread!
The Original AG 76
AG
quote:

I too lived in a dorm, as did my dad, my sister , 4 uncles about 12 cousins..... I guess we owe CS a fortune.
Public/private partnerships are outstanding methods to build things such as dorms. In the past the poor tax payers from Pooodunk Texas who never stepped foot on any college campus had to pay for our dorms now it will be paid for by the user .
Win win

techno-ag
AG
quote:
Public/private partnerships are outstanding methods to build things such as dorms.
This.
UndergroundAg
You live in a college town, townie!
Deal with it!!
rilloaggie
AG
Step 1: move to college town

Step 2: complain about college students

Step 3: we need more/better/new restaurants at tower point!

Step 4: ????

Step 5: profit
techno-ag
AG
quote:

Step 3: we need more/better/new restaurants at tower point!

I'll settle for more places along Restaurant Row.
runawaytrain
Sorry to tell you this. I am not complaining about students. Nor am I anti-TAMU. And these comments about "Townie", which according to this thread is negative. Which espouses the view that if you live in College Station keep your mouth shut, and take it. I also wonder how many people who are so readily able to say "townie" , or "CS wouldn't exist" how many of you in reality live here, work here, and pay taxes?

Let's address some of the comments here:

1. Sales tax is at the state level, it is not used by cities to recoup costs associated with infrastructure
2. The volume of sales would happen no matter what. Those same students based on Sharp's vision of TAMU are coming irregardless if this structure is built on TAMU property tax free or on a tax base generating private land
3. Not everything that is good for TAMU is necessarily good for the city, which is to my point. There has to be some ground where those people that use city, county resources pay for them. Just like everyone else does.
4. Yes, those who live in a city should contribute to the "pot" related to infrastructure repair and maintenance
5. Some of the logic above implies that some set of students will live in the dorms/apartments and never ever need or use city infrastructure. They won't drive anywhere, they will just magically move from one spot to another, never need a city light, etc.
6. TAMU Utilities - who pays for all those 365kv lines, and other water infrastructure into TAMU property. Sure will TAMU maintain it on their side of the property line, I have no doubt. But what about all the tie in's between water purification plants, city streets, etc that get the water to there. And what about the increased need for local police officers, their wages, etc. Try to think about how many resources are consumed because of students. Which I am not saying is here nor there. I am merely saying that those students should pay like everyone else in town, for the requirements of the city to function
7. So what about when Texas or University needs to be widened because of additional traffic flow congestion, will TAMU help the city pay for that? Or street lights that have to be retrofitted to help with traffic flow?

I merely am making the point that a private public partnership , causes those citizens that pay taxes (as you call them Townies) and undue burden. Which no one on this board has yet to argue anything logical against it, just merely "shut up townie"...
beefly95
The students pay for city services every time they purchase something. It's called sales tax. They are the bread and butter of this community, and they pay my salary. Highway 6 runs both ways.
lost my dog
quote:
Sales tax is at the state level, it is not used by cities to recoup costs associated with infrastructure

There is also a local add-on to the sales tax rate that the city (and county) add on to the state rate.

http://www.cstx.gov/index.aspx?page=3471
runawaytrain
So the townies should pay both property and sales tax while those that live I the public private dorms don't ?
milner79
quote:

I too lived in a dorm all four years. But figure I more than paid my fair share via taxes paid through Coaches Cut Rate Liquor ...
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.