Texas House District 14

7,446 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by TellMeMore
casserole
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So is John Raney not running or is Jess Fields challenging him?
EVA3
AG
I don't know if John Raney is running for reelection or not but I presume that he is. I do know that Jess Fields is challenging him.
masteraggieaka2%ER
AG
Raney announced last week that he is running.
Stucco
Glad to see Jess running.
Rapier108
Wasn't Fields a member of the Delasandro-McMillan cabal during the entire Wellborn annexation melodrama?
momlaw
AG
No, Jess stood with the Mayor and Council.
Rapier108
quote:
He did vote against annexation, but I can't remember why. None of the articles I saw gave his reasoning (which is why I asked) since everyone was focused on the antics by Delasandro and McMillan.

I would never vote for anyone who was part of the Delasandro-McMillan cabal.

TXAggie1976
AG
Jess was not part of that group.
RunSilentRunDeep
Jess Fields!
carpe vinum
AG
I'm surprised Royce Hickman hasn't made a run.
ViewFromTheSidelines
Go John Raney!!!
casserole
Honest questions I hope Jess Fields will answer... What differentiates himself from John Raney? What would he have voted differently than John Raney during this last session? Granted Fields may be more outwardly conservative than Raney, but I'd imagine 9 times out of 10 they would vote the same way on particular issues. I would just hate to lose what little seniority Raney has in the House if their principles are generally the same. On the other hand, maybe Fields would have authored different legislation?
Tradishun
quote:
quote:
He did vote against annexation, but I can't remember why. None of the articles I saw gave his reasoning (which is why I asked) since everyone was focused on the antics by Delasandro and McMillan.

I would never vote for anyone who was part of the Delasandro-McMillan cabal.

Help me understand this, someone:

How is it possible that "Jess stood with the Mayor and the Council" while he also voted *against* annexation?

This isn't adding up to me.
cslifer
If I recall correctly from watching the meetings he voted against just about everything.
FlyRod
Yep. "Councilman No." Will be happily casting my vote for Raney. He's done fine.
momlaw
AG
The annexation itself I do not consider melodrama.

The recall petition better fits that description and Jess did side with the Mayor and Council in that regard.
duffelpud
AG
It seems like John had all the momentum with the Blinn legislation at the start, but then the wheels fell off that wagon when it finally came to a vote. Does anyone know what happened behind the scenes that derailed HB 1903? It was also puzzling that his compromise with the Blinn board also fell apart.
carpe vinum
AG
It would have set a precedent for other community colleges so they got together and lobbied their respective representatives. Once Blinn had 'won' there wasn't much need to compromise. They are still butthurt over in Brenham and will support Rainey's opponent.
duffelpud
AG
I see - sort of finding a bear asleep in a cave and poking it with a stick.
95_Aggie
AG
quote:
They are still butthurt over in Brenham and will support Rainey's opponent.

They better be careful what they wish for ...
masteraggieaka2%ER
AG
Ah, Folks....the Brenham Blinn power base is not in District 14. And.....the ones that are, primarily the students, don't vote in District 14 or at all. The Blinn Bryan group is not big enough to make a difference in my opinion. But they will support Raney.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Ah, Folks....the Brenham Blinn power base is not in District 14. And.....the ones that are, primarily the students, don't vote in District 14 or at all. The Blinn Bryan group is not big enough to make a difference in my opinion. But they will support Raney.
Yes, the Blinn cartel will bring Raney down.
Bryanisbest
AG
Fields is pure conservative and idealistic. Raney is a pragmatic conservative. Fields loves politics and wants to be President or however high he can go. Raney is a longtime businessman who has run a business for years, paid employees and taxes. He was the local Republican Party Chairman for about ten years, a position which is more work than prestige. Raney has worked to be a good state rep. Why fix it if it ain't broke? My vote is for Raney!
FlyRod
That's a generous way to cast it.
casserole
quote:
Fields is pure conservative and idealistic.
So much for Von Ormy and the "liberty city."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/opinion/thirdandavenuee/article/Von-Ormy-a-model-of-failure-6538429.php
Bryanisbest
AG
quote:
Honest questions I hope Jess Fields will answer... What differentiates himself from John Raney? What would he have voted differently than John Raney during this last session? Granted Fields may be more outwardly conservative than Raney, but I'd imagine 9 times out of 10 they would vote the

same way on particular issues. I would just hate to lose what little seniority Raney has in the House if their principles are generally the same. On the other hand, maybe Fields would have authored different legislation?

This
Bayou City
Jess Fields....pushes for a smoking ban, owns a cigar company, and then throws cigar company marketing parties at the very places he voted to ban smoking. How ironic. Already practiced Chicago style politics in the Brazos Valley. We don't need it again.

Jess Fields comes off as holier than thou. I would ask anyone voting in this race to look at experience, leadership, and previous behavior. When you look at those factors, plus the constant question shirking from Mr. Fields, I think he's all talk and no trousers.
Bayou City
Jess Fields is a political social climber. Look at his behavior on the city council and then his personal business. He bans smoking, but then throws parties for his cigar company by getting "exemptions" or flat out ignoring the ban. Anyone remember the Cavalier Cigar at Veritas event? Oh the irony.
Bayou City
Except when it personally benefitted his company.
AG
Diapers and politicians both need to be changed often and for the same reason.
TXAggie1976
AG
Surprised that Raney came out last week endorsing Cruz. He is moving way too far right from where he started, sadly.
O.G.
quote:
Jess Fields is a political social climber. Look at his behavior on the city council and then his personal business. He bans smoking, but then throws parties for his cigar company by getting "exemptions" or flat out ignoring the ban. Anyone remember the Cavalier Cigar at Veritas event? Oh the irony.
Your facts are a bit off. Jess spoke out against the ban in the January 2009 City Council meeting. Mind you he spoke out even after his own business was given an exemption.

So basically he still spoke against the ban, even after he'd gotten what he could have wanted just for himself. He risked his own personal interest, and risked angering the council, to speak out against the ordinance even after
tobacco shops had already been exempted.

Somewhere around 12:50ish:
http://collegestation.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=12&clip_id=1056
Bayou City
Thanks Jess
O.G.
I'm not Jess. Multiple people that post here regularly know me and can tell you that.
Stucco
quote:
Jess Fields....pushes for a smoking ban, owns a cigar company, and then throws cigar company marketing parties at the very places he voted to ban smoking. How ironic. Already practiced Chicago style politics in the Brazos Valley. We don't need it again.

Jess Fields comes off as holier than thou. I would ask anyone voting in this race to look at experience, leadership, and previous behavior. When you look at those factors, plus the constant question shirking from Mr. Fields, I think he's all talk and no trousers.
Where did this misinformation come from? Jess didn't push for the smoking ban. He actively fought it.

What you are trying to say by "Chicago style politics," "question shirking" and "previous behavior?"

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.