Natatorium

3,270 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by MiMi
MsC2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is the natatorium by Csms something the public can use? I can't find any info on it online.
MiMi
S
Nope. It is not open to the public. I know the Aggie Swim Club uses it most every evening for team practice. I think CSISD also uses it for their schools' swim team practices as well.

Not very good options in CS for lap swimming. The Southwood Pool keeps a couple lanes open. Most folks I know either go to the Bryan Aquatic Center or belong to Aerofit.
befitter
It's always been public but only at certain times. Look at the CS city parks website
MsC2012
AG
I looked on the parks website and nothing.

It's just we only want a pool, but aerofit is highly over priced. And if I do a city pool it'll be freezing in the winter. We need more options!!
BlueMiles
AG
I would give the city pools a shot. By winter, you may have lost interest, or be willing to pay more for a better option.
MiMi
S
quote:
It's always been public but only at certain times. Look at the CS city parks website
Not anymore. The Natatorium isn't mentioned on the city website. The Aquatics program is about to be outsourced. Maybe the new management will reopen it to the public.

http://cstx.gov/index.aspx?page=577
Ratsa
For a long time the natatorium has been a joint venture between the city and CSISD. The district owned it, and the city operated it. In the past the city offered winter swim lessons, public lap swimming, pool rental for birthday parties, and summer league swim team at the natatorium. As the city budget tightened over the last 5 years or so, the city got rid of everything at the natatorium but the swim team. This summer they moved the swim team to outdoor pools and no longer operate the natatorium. So it is completely owned and operated by CSISD at this point.

I've also looked for an inexpensive place to swim, and Bryan Aquatic is it. It is heated in the winter, but I'm a wimp when it comes to the cold.

Sorry... Wrong emoticon and I can't figure out how to change it on my phone.
Charli
Bryan Aquatic Center is heated. Winter lap swimming there really isn't bad at all. I have always had plenty of time getting to my towel and robe after a swim before the reality if "it's cold" sets in. Then again I don't swim if air temperature is below 45.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
quote:
I looked on the parks website and nothing.

It's just we only want a pool, but aerofit is highly over priced. And if I do a city pool it'll be freezing in the winter. We need more options!!
A former superintendent was hell-bent on getting a new natatorium for the school district, but got shot down by a citizens' committee. A natatorium is a money pit. It isn't about making money. It's that the cost of maintaining/operating one never comes close to any income. They perpetually operate in the red.
befitter
Ahh...guess you can tell how long it's been since I swam at CSMS.
duffelpud
AG
Our tax dollars at work.
threecatcorner
Where are you seeing that Aquatics is going to be outsourced?

I don't see the natatorium listed on the CS aquatics page, but other than that, I don't see anything on their page that indicates any
changes other than Adamson having Monday hours again (hadn't in a few years).
carpe vinum
AG
The YMCA out of Houston wants to bid on running CS Aquatics. It will come up soon. Mooney is pushing for it.
carpe vinum
AG
CSISD will always request CS subsidy for playgrounds at schools and natatoriums then try to limit access, that is a given.
Ratsa
I've had kids swimming at the natatorium off and on over the last 10 years for swim lessons and various swim teams. I've never heard of CSISD limiting access to the pool. The only thing I'm familiar with is the city deciding to limit access because it was costing them more to pay the lifeguards than they were making in entrance fees. Care to enlighten us on how CSISD is limiting access to the natatorium?
MiMi
S
quote:
Where are you seeing that Aquatics is going to be outsourced?

The swim team manager announced the outsourcing on the team's website in late June. Here's what it said: "2016 Tsunamis will be backbigger and better than ever! The city is outsourcing Aquatics management for next year, but Tsunami Swim Team and Swim Lessons will continue to be a HUGE part of what the City of College Station offers!"
threecatcorner
Hmm, according to the CS Aquatics page, "Did you know the City of College Station's aquatic facilities and programs are rated among the best in the entire state of Texas? The Parks and Recreation Department's Aquatic Division was selected as the Texas Public Pool Council's Agency of the Year among cities with at least 75,000 people. The TPPC specifically cited College Station's excellence in implementing fun activities such as theme days, the junior lifeguard program and family swim nights." So why does it need to be outsourced? Seems to be some people's solution to everything whether there's a problem or not.

If the swim team page is the one that's publicly viewable from the main aquatics page, they've taken down that announcement. If it's a separate page specifically for team members to log in, I guess they are just sharing that info with you for now.

I thought the recent mention on KBTX or the Eagle about the possibility of a local YMCA was referring to something where the Y would have its own building, not take over existing city pools and swim programs. Don't YMCA's usually have their own building with more than a pool?
MiMi
S
quote:
If the swim team page is the one that's publicly viewable from the main aquatics page, they've taken down that announcement.

It is on the publicly viewable page (I'm not signed in and can see it). It's at the bottom of a post from June 29 that announces some results of a couple swim meets the previous weekend. College Station Tsunamis
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.