Good restaurants in not so good locations

9,857 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by CharlieMac
FlyRod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A couple recent threads made me think of this: what do people think are good restaurants in not so good locations (and I admit I don't fully know what that means). I'll start with Kluay Kluay, Swamp Tails, and Casa Pachita.
What makes for a not so good location? A strip that doesn't get much traffic or is hard to find/see?
BlueMiles
AG
Paolo's, as well. Hard to see
redd38
AG
I think the Swamp Tails location is fine.
isitjustme
AG
You can beat a bad location with good food, good service, and reasonable prices. Before Kluay Kluay, Dragon One was doing fine before the owner's legal problems started. I think Kluay will be fine if they keep up what they're doing. Before Swamp Tails, Garpez had trouble because I think Sal extended himself too much and couldn't really decide what he wanted that location to be. Swamp Tails will also be fine if they keep up what they're doing.

Poor food, poor service, and unreasonable prices can beat a good location. Take the revolving door where Good Time Charleys was. Every other restaurant in downtown Bryan is doing fine - even the grumpy Mr. G's - but that one location has had some really poor showings.
AggieWife2008
S
La Riviera hands down
PS3D
Feed Barn.
FlyRod
quote:

The new housing units should help, but a number of restaurants have failed in that strip (Stover Boys, Garpez).
Bunk Moreland
what was there before those? Salty Dog? Trying to remember what was before Salty Dog.
halibut sinclair
^ Barracuda Bar
Bunk Moreland
It was Barracuda directly before Salty Dog? I guess so. I just feel like there was another name in there somewhere.

Anyways, I'm glad a cajun restaurant is in town, and I look forward to trying it out. Hope they turn that location into a winner.
originaltexan
If the food is good AND the service is consistent AND the food is good AND the service is consistent, a place will make it.

Consumers are a little more savvy than you think.

There is a well known tex-mex eateries, well actually two, on Texas Avenue. Their car count in parking lot is usually about 90% less than other places. Great location, but.....
techno-ag
AG
quote:
It was Barracuda directly before Salty Dog? I guess so. I just feel like there was another name in there somewhere.

Anyways, I'm glad a cajun restaurant is in town, and I look forward to trying it out. Hope they turn that location into a winner.
This. So glad to have Cajun options.
halibut sinclair
meezermom
Antonio's Pizza -- it's so difficult to get there. Usually I stay in the car and make hubby run in, but it's a mess over there since they closed College Main off University. I suppose that also applies to Swamp Tails, but I haven't been there yet -- and now you know why.
Bunk Moreland
what's difficult to get to about Swamp Tails? You drive down Wellborn, pull into the parking lot and you are literally 10 feet from the patio/door.
redd38
AG
quote:
quote:

The new housing units should help, but a number of restaurants have failed in that strip (Stover Boys, Garpez).
There is a lot more housing near there than when it was Garpez. And do you think the location of Stover Boys is what caused it to fail?

If Swamp Tails fails it's not going to be because of location.
techno-ag
AG
Top of the Hill in Benchley.
Yankee's in Carlos.
M-Beaux's place out near Anderson.
halibut sinclair
NativeTxn
quote:

There was a night club in that location called Extreme, but that was probably mid 90's or so.
biobioprof
quote:
quote:

IIRC, Stover was doing fine in WestGate, but problems came after taking over Square One in Bryan.
eloc62
location does not bother me anymore. i will go wherever there is good food. I'm 53 yrs. old and have had some of the best food i have ever eaten at out of the way places off the beaten path. "be a traveler, not a tourist".- Anthony Bourdain.
michellecan
quote:
location does not bother me anymore. i will go wherever there is good food. I'm 53 yrs. old and have had some of the best food i have ever eaten at out of the way places off the beaten path. "be a traveler, not a tourist".- Anthony Bourdain.
this
FlyRod
Pretty sure the average BCS diner in no way shape or form resembles Tony Bourdain.
TellMeMore
Not flaming the guy at all but good service is a business and the bottom line matters.I think Jim at Village tried to help but you HAVE to clear a profit. I remember a couple who graduated from Culinary institute of America tried to open a place in Bryan and failed. They wanted to be artists rather than business people. Good products mind your bottom line and you have a chance.
mgreen
Fargos BBQ
halibut sinclair
Fargo's has a great location compared to their original spot.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
True. And it's on Texas Ave. now.
halibut sinclair
quote:
quote:
True. And it's on Texas Ave. now.
It was before as well - just farther north.
techno-ag
AG
It was a little bit off Texas, though. Much better frontage now.
Brewmaster
AG
Shannon's in Bryan - hands down. Great food, rough part of town.
The Anchor
AG
quote:

It was on Texas before.
halibut sinclair
quote:
No, it wasn't.
Frio Cielo
Some of you must live very sheltered lives to say that Shannons is located in a bad part of town. I guess if it's not a chain restaurant on University Drive or Texas Avenue, it's not a good location.

Frio Cielo
The Fargo's old address was:

BRYAN: Fargo's Pit BBQ
1220 N Texas Ave Ste A
Bryan, TX 77803
979-778-3662
Open Tues-Sat 11-7

About as close to Texas Ave as you can get.

BCStalk
quote:
The Fargo's old address was:

BRYAN: Fargo's Pit BBQ
1220 N Texas Ave Ste A
Bryan, TX 77803
979-778-3662
Open Tues-Sat 11-7

About as close to Texas Ave as you can get.

You are aware that they were not directly on Texas. They were behind a building on Texas if I remember right.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.