Rim amd tire thieves at it again

9,330 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by AgResearch
AggieWife2008
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
I just got word that the rim and tire thieves were in Castlegate last night. I saw pics from one vehicle that was affected... not sure if there were more. I wish these criminals would get arrested!
dfphotos
just arrested? thats awfully nice of you.
FlyRod
Arrest them, then make them do community service: labor in auto mechanic shops without pay.
AggieWife2008
S
quote:
LOL true true
Tariny
This happened in our neighborhood as well. A few months ago, around 2 a.m., a couple of guys decided to try and steal a few wheels from some of our neighbors. Luckily, Bryan PD was patrolling our neighborhood and saw them. The officers chased the suspects on foot, 1 of them jumped our 6 ft wooden fence and the other ran across our roof, waking all of us up. Had one of them actually tried to come in, well they would have found a surprised waiting for them by way of bullet or stun gun (most likely followed by bullet), depending on which door they chose.

The officers caught the two suspects, then asked if we wanted to press charges (I think it was criminal trespass). My reply was "they woke me up at 2 a.m, it's now 4 a.m. and I have to go to work soon, so heck yes, I want to press all the charges I can". The moral of this story is, if you want to stop these guys, when the officer asks if you want to press charges, please say yes. The officer told us that they would probably be bailed out before noon, but hopefully sooner or later, someone will get tired of bailing these guys out and maybe they will think twice before hitting our neighborhood again.
O.G.
Bait the hole.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Bait the hole.
You know, TAMU PD does the bicycles with tracking devices to snare bike thieves. Seems like BPD & CSPD could do something similar with rims.
Kenneth_2003
AG
quote:
I've long been a fan of returning the practice of locking people in stocks on the town square for 4-6 hour shifts for several weeks where they can be the subject of ridicule, and perhaps some rotten produce. Move the stocks around even! One day in the business district, a late night by the bars perhaps. Ridicule them so vehemently they beg to be tar'd and feathered for the sake of masking their identity.
InMyOpinion
Obviously crooks need to be caught and dealt with but every time I see this type thread I think - this is why typical homes have garages.

Put your 20-30-40k vehicle in your garage instead of the couple thousand of junk that's in most garages.
AboveAndBeyond
Ummm, you do know that the new Suburbans run about $70k, right?
InMyOpinion
quote:
Ummm, you do know that the new Suburbans run about $70k, right?

Even better!!
techno-ag
AG
Eh. It's still theft. Maybe a homeowner should not buy a GM vehicle targeted by thieves, or lock it up, or park it elsewhere. But let's not blame the victims here. The bad guys are stealing rims & need to be stopped.
CrazyAgE
quote:
Obviously crooks need to be caught and dealt with but every time I see this type thread I think - this is why typical homes have garages.

Put your 20-30-40k vehicle in your garage instead of the couple thousand of junk that's in most garages.

Blue star for you sir!!!!

It truly amazes me the amount of CRAP people collect to where they cannot park their car(s) in the garage. Or never think about the garage size when buying a house and once they sign the papers and move in, they realize it is a "two car garage", but if you were to park two cars in there, then you would have to open up the back hatch or rear sliding window to get in and out each day.
InMyOpinion
quote:
Eh. It's still theft. Maybe a homeowner should not buy a GM vehicle targeted by thieves, or lock it up, or park it elsewhere. But let's not blame the victims here. The bad guys are stealing rims & need to be stopped.

Nobody blamed the victim.

Just voicing a thought. Kind of like when the police say "don't leave valuables in plain site" to prevent vehicle break ins.
AggieWife2008
S
quote:
quote:

Just voicing a thought. Kind of like when the police say "don't leave valuables in plain site" to prevent vehicle break ins.
So if they are at the grocery store or something, is there a special garage that only $50k+ vehicle owners know about?
SARATOGA
Aren't you supposed to shoot one and hang it on the fence at the entrance to the neighborhood ?

I heard that somewhere once. Old indian tale ?
InMyOpinion
quote:
quote:
quote:

So if they are at the grocery store or something, is there a special garage that only $50k+ vehicle owners know about?

I like your sarcasm
AggieWife2008
S
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I like your sarcasm
Wildmen03
AG
quote:
Or never think about the garage size when buying a house and once they sign the papers and move in,

I have an over-sized garage and my truck is still 10" too long to fit in there, and I have one of the larger garages in my neighborhood. Sometimes vehicles simply don't fit in a garage.

If the garage being too small is the only thing I don't like about the house, that's not going to prevent me from buying that house.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
quote:
Or never think about the garage size when buying a house and once they sign the papers and move in,

I have an over-sized garage and my truck is still 10" too long to fit in there, and I have one of the larger garages in my neighborhood. Sometimes vehicles simply don't fit in a garage.

If the garage being too small is the only thing I don't like about the house, that's not going to prevent me from buying that house.
OK. But don't complain when your rims get stolen.

(kidding).
originaltexan
Rim thieves are stupid & risk takers.

People that drive trucks are usually men.

People that drive trucks probably own something related to personal defense.

People that own new trucks probably work for everything they have and don't want to have it damaged.

People that own trucks might go out to the truck at 2am to grab a pack of cigarettes, Listerine, or a flashlight from truck. Might be startled and scared if he sees two gentleman with tire irons in hands.
AboveAndBeyond
Except that there are trucks being done too.
originaltexan
OK, so maybe homeowner goes outside to

A) Leave to go to work
B) Turn off the hose
C) Sleepwalking

Etc
O.G.
quote:
OK, so maybe homeowner goes outside to

A) Leave to go to work
B) Turn off the hose
C) Sleepwalking

Etc
Between 2am and 4am. Anyone with a teenager that likes staying up all night can put them to good use.
Eliminatus
AG
quote:
Incredibly nice! Maybe the neighborhood should pool together a little money and pay an unemployed vet to play a little cat and mouse with these thieves. Could leave the bodies on the front doorstep as a present.
originaltexan
Ok, here is the million dollar idea. There needs to be a useful app for the smartphone.

Smartphone goes off when the truck becomes un-level. So the bad guy is jacking up the front, your smartphone goes beep, beep, intruder, intruder. You wake up.

Ag Mom 91
S
KBTX TV just had a segment on tonight about tire thieves, and a person from Audio Visual talked about a device/alarm that can be installed on your vehicle that will go off if the tires are being taken off the vehicle (when vehicle isn't level). The device costs about $40, and installation is over $200.
JP76
quote:
Ok, here is the million dollar idea. There needs to be a useful app for the smartphone.

Smartphone goes off when the truck becomes un-level. So the bad guy is jacking up the front, your smartphone goes beep, beep, intruder, intruder. You wake up.

I've been told no jacks are involved. They use the right size blocks and pull the valvestems. The way these vehicles are hit leads me to believe they either have spotters who are running plates to get the addresses or they are somehow being fed the info from gm's database.
JP76
quote:
quote:

Ford truck ?
Wildmen03
AG
That's right, 2009 crew cab short bed.
thefarcus
Viper car alarms makes this app.
originaltexan
This is another good investigative story for a newspaper or TV reporter.

Who is stealing?
Has anyone been caught?
If so, what are the charges? Convicted?
WHO IS BUYING THE STOLEN GOODS? This is a million dollar question and leads to other types of crimes.

Brewmaster
AG
Wheel Locks

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/Internal-Spline-Wheel-Locks.aspx?t_c=11&t_s=107&t_pt=3679&t_pn=GOR61681&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping&emlprox=out&ppcfon=1&gp=1&gclid=CJ7xiKqLg8cCFZU0aQodd3wFww

I have 5 wheel locks on each wheel of my car, for a total of 20. It would be impossible for them to steal my wheels. As soon as they see the locking lug nuts (which require a special and unique tool that comes in the kit), they won't bother and they'll move on to the next vehicle.
Kenneth_2003
AG
quote:
WHO IS BUYING THE STOLEN GOODS? This is a million dollar question and leads to other types of crimes.
Small shops, independent wheel and tire outfits, body shops, online retailers, used parts wholesalers, etc... They steal stock wheels because there is tremendous market for them in the resale market. Ironically thieves have realized there's more value in the OEM wheels than there is stealing custom wheels.

I know for a fact that when I totaled a truck back in 2014 the insurance company turned the truck over to a chop shop and it was stripped down and every undamaged marketable part was sold. You get in a fenderbender, odds are you're not getting a brand new bumper or fender. You clip a curb or find the deepest pothole in the city, you're looking for one wheel.
aggiepaintrain
AG
wheels and tires are all over ebay, biggest sellers are guess where? In Houston and Dallas.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.