Landscaping Project

1,378 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by AgResearch
RGRAg1/75
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have Bermuda. My neighbor has St Augustine. Need a feature to separate our lawns. Aggieland Green took care of me on killing the stuff that already invaded my lawn, but they said I need something to separate the lawns eventually.

There's a ditch that could create a natural boundary, but I've got something a bit more involved in mind.

Recommendations and pics are welcomed!
SARATOGA
I'm not an agronomist, but in my experience anything short of napalm won't stop the St. Augustine disease. Can you call in an airstrike ?

BROKEN ARROW !!!!!!!

But seriously, you're going to probably need some type of stone or rock border that is into the ground a bit. St. Augustine is stolinacious and rhisomatic, so it is going to send the sideways runners constantly. So in addition to the border of stone or rock, you might also but the green metal edging and the follow up with Roundup along both borders on a regular basis.

redball
Why no love for St Augustine? I've taken great pleasure watching the St Augustine side of my lawn slowly and irrevocably crowd out the Bermuda over the last year or so.
Brewmaster
AG
If you'll mow it or have it mowed long, St. Augustine is superior here to just about anything. The problem is everyone mows the piss out of it and then they wonder why it struggles.

If you want to go the border route, I suggest limestone blocks mortared in place with a concrete footer. You should be able to get them in 4" or 6" thick pieces (random lengths) at a stone/landscape supply yard.
AgsWin2011
AG
I'm not a green thumb by any means so please ignore if this is straight ignorant. Why don't you get some landscaping edge metal like they use to separate your grass from your flower beds and run a long line between the yards and shove it all the way down so it's not visible or a trip hazard. You could probably get some that's 4-6" tall.
RGRAg1/75
AG
Nor am I. That's why I'm here asking for landscaper recommendations. I will leave it to the folks that know.

Aggieland green guy explained that a simple border, like you mentioned, will not deter the chutes of at Augustine from invading my lawn. It has to be something with some width that you can easily keep trimmed back.
oldag00
AG
quote:
Why no love for St Augustine? I've taken great pleasure watching the St Augustine side of my lawn slowly and irrevocably crowd out the Bermuda over the last year or so.
Because it takes a ton of water compared to other options. Too bad they don't tend to do as well in the shade as St Augustine.
SARATOGA
St. Augustine is a wide-bladed grass. It is just nasty stuff. It hurts to walk on barefoot, and is not fun to play on. It looks good from a distance I suppose, but you can't enjoy it.

(See athletic fields, golf courses etc being Bermuda or a Bermuda hybrid)

Brewmaster
AG
Your's and most people's St Augustine is cut too short. It requires a ton of water if mowed an inch from its death.

OP - Limestone border mortared in place is the only way to go.
RGRAg1/75
AG
quote:
Your's and most people's St Augustine is cut too short. It requires a ton of water if mowed an inch from its death.

Cool. So who should I get to do it? Landscaping is not something I like to DIY...
RGRAg1/75
AG
quote:

Cool. So who should I get to do it? Landscaping is not something I like to DIY...
techno-ag
AG
http://imagecdn-1.findnsave.com/202/2687153
techno-ag
AG
AgResearch
AG
quote:
I'm not an agronomist, but in my experience anything short of napalm won't stop the St. Augustine disease. Can you call in an airstrike ?

BROKEN ARROW !!!!!!!

But seriously, you're going to probably need some type of stone or rock border that is into the ground a bit. St. Augustine is stolinacious and rhisomatic, so it is going to send the sideways runners constantly. So in addition to the border of stone or rock, you might also but the green metal edging and the follow up with Roundup along both borders on a regular basis.

I am an Agronomist and St Augustine does not have rhizomes.

Agronomist/Weed Scientist, Ph.D.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.