Security system salesman going around again

4,218 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by TheAlarmGuy
jrhmc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just came to my door in Shenandoah and apparently talked to my son yesterday. Just a heads up. Not sure if they have a permit but it's Vivint Technologies. I only buy stuff from people going door-to-door when they are kids who are fundraising.
O.G.
Thanks for the heads up.

Also folks, do not tell them your neighbors names, or when they might be home, or if they
have kids/dogs etc. I've been stunned at how much info people give out about their neighbors to
total strangers.

"Oh yeah, she works during the day and he's gone all the time".......not smart.
jrhmc
AG
I think they have a list of homeowner names because they confused my teenaged son by knowing who lived in our house. They are a legit company from Utah who is known for this type of sales but it makes me uncomfortable.
BCSMom
Yes legit. We have a Vivint Security System.
AggiePirate
AG
Got a pic of him:

originaltexan
Only open your door if you know Krav Maga.

Go to Bing or Google new to read about home invasions & how they occur.

It is surprising how many people keep opening up the front door to strangers.

Even if the person didn't want to beat the homeowner, he may want to get social security number, bank account, Mastercard, etc.
eloc62
Me and my son did some research on them, and they are a legit business. not a scam. i think the door to door sales approach puts most people off.
originaltexan
The problem is this.

If someone knocks on your door, and you open it, it could either be a real sales pitch. scam or a home invasion. Maybe there is a new vacuum cleaner on the market, or perhaps there is a new kind of remote video cam for security.

Maybe not...

An example would be where dad opens the door. The bad guy(s) come in with a nice sales pitch. All of a sudden, mom and Sally are tied up. Bad guys take dad to ATM machine and never comes home. All of this for what? To hear a pitch on water filtration?

Kind of sounds like a bad Lifetime move, but it is real.

Please don't open the door unless you know Hapkido.

Use Google to learn about new products that could change your life. If you see something you need, make the phone call or email to learn more from the company.

w8liftr
NEVER INVITE SOMEONE YOU DO NOT KNOW INTO YOUR HOME.

"Door to door sales people" can be there simply to peek inside your home from your front door to see if you have anything worth stealing later on. My front door opens inro my living room so if someone I do not know knocks on my door, I step onto my front porch to talk to them quickly closing my front door behind me.
curry97
AG
Making the rounds through Castle Rock this evening
BigBubba
AG
They are a legit company with complete scam artists as salesman. One came through our neighborhood last year and told all the typical lies.

ASC has some good information on their site.

Common Mis-Statements from Door to Door Salespeople

• We wired your home for security
  • We are working in conjunction with your homebuilder
  • We're working with local law enforcement
  • We purchased your existing alarm company
  • We have local service if they have problems.
  • Our equipment is free.
  • We do not do credit checks and the monthly fee will not increase.
  • We have a military clause that allows cancellation of the contract.
  • The homeowner's alarm system is obsolete and needs to be upgraded.
  • Their existing alarm company is no longer in business or is closing and asked them to stop by.

I heard just about every one of these claims from the Vivint salesman.

In my opinion, slam the door in their face.
AggiePhil
AG
Just my opinion, but a so-called security company whose business model involves door-to-door sales shows me they do not understand the security business at all. Kind of like a safe company that shows up to deliver safes in a truck with big huge letters "ABC Safe Company" on the side.
W
AG
it's hard to believe that in this day & age people answer the door when a stranger / someone unexpected knocks --- that's exactly what they want you to do
originaltexan
The ACS site was informative.

The credit check/bank information/ruining credit history is a major red flag.

Some of these crackpot will RUIN your credit. Imagine if you stopped paying for whatever reason because the contract was not read. They will easily sell the "obligation" to a collector.

So, you got two things going against you when you open the door A) Either get tied up, beaten, and robbed and/or B) Personal finance information at huge risk.

I bet we see another "I opened the door" post in a few months.

Unless you know Dambe, don't open the door.
Al Bula
AG
When unexpected folks come to your door they want to deprive you of something, whether it is money, time, health or valuables.

Do NOT open the door for anyone you aren't expecting, EVER. In 2015, there is NO reason to open your home up to strangers.

I'm not even opening the door for a cop.
chigger
AG
Just got almost everything on that ASC list from a Vivint guy. Glad I remembered this thread.
SoTheySay
S
Pretty sure one was strolling through our neighborhood the last 4 or so hours. Saw him out after 9.
originaltexan
ONLY open your door if you know how to Judy Chop

YouTube Video Demo of Judy Chop
girlmom3
They just came by our house at 9:00. My husband answered the door and the guy said "Have yall seen us on your neighborhood facebook page?" Our neighborhood doesn't even have a FB page, but I recalled this thread and something on Nextdoor and shouted from behind my husband "Yes, and we aren't interested!" He quickly left. 9:00 is TOO late. (We had kids over for a birthday party and were expecting parents, which was the only reason we even opened the door.)
originaltexan
Kingwood right outside of Houston Home Invasion

Imagine being disabled or severely injured. Who would look after your family? Who would take care of you? Most likely abject poverty would be in the future. Medical bills, lack of income etc. The bad guys do come to Brazos County. I simply can't imagine the allure of opening the door to talk to some weirdo.
KaneIsAble
AG
He's back in Castle Rock
TheAlarmGuy
They are not a Local company, and if you like paying over $69.$$$$ a month then go for it, once the summer is over they are Gone.. Their are several of us Who are Local,pay local property taxes and support Local Charities. Please consider calling us before you Buy on a whim.

Thank you and God Bless
Sponsor Message: Advanced Security Concepts | Reliable security by dependable people at an affordable price | david1@advancedsec.com | 979-690-8516 | State Lic B09523
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.