Mexican breakfast spots

6,219 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by FlyRod
FlyRod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking to mix it up a bit after the recent closing of El Sol. Curious if anyone has thoughts about La Carreta or Peppers Cocina on Hwy 21. Thanks
happyinBCS
casa rod
Tanya 93
El Sol closed?
rhoswen
AG
If you just want to stop in and get tacos, the restaurant in the gas station at La Brisa and 2818 in Bryan has the best tacos. I crave them.
Tanya 93
We used to get the breakfast tacos at LA Familia on Texas in Bryan.

The best salsa.
FlyRod
El Sol closed by Health Dept.(same day as Shannon's!) but may have re-opened.
armymom
I'm not much of fan of Mexican breakfast but I do know that La Familia Coco Loco at the Howard Johnson's on Hwy 6 is always packed on Saturday mornings!
malibu9in1
Both are great fly rod. I eat at both weekly. La carreta is cheaper.
AggiePhil
AG
I quit going to the Ho-Jo La Familia years ago when they switched the bacon to strips of curly fat. Now I only eat at Yole's, Garpez, Coco Loco (meh), and sometimes La Familia on Barron.
michellecan
Jesse's Taqueria in Bryan
DBSwooper
Jesse has the best breakfast tacos, La Botana has the best salsa.
law80
AG
Yole's
FlyRod
Thanks for the suggestions. Definitely looking for a sit down place for a small breakfast club group. Some good options here.
eloc62
is yole's open Sunday mornings? close to the house. might want to give them a try.
law80
AG
For right now it is closed on Sunday's.
law80
AG
They do have an all you can eat Saturday morning breakfast buffet that looks pretty good. We usually get the breakfast tacos and it's nice having the drive thru.
AggiePirate
AG
quote:
They do have an all you can eat Saturday morning breakfast buffet that looks pretty good. We usually get the breakfast tacos and it's nice having the drive thru.
Speaking of GoCo is a great option on Sunday, as it has tortillas and all the ingredients AND as always, all you can eat. Although I am sure that my fellow GoConian Fly is already there on Sunday's (AKA the best day).
FlyRod
It's a great tragedy that I have yet to set foot in one. I think I'd be tossed out for taking too many rude pics.
AggiePirate
AG
quote:
It's a great tragedy that I have yet to set foot in one. I think I'd be tossed out for taking too many rude pics.
Picadillo
Garpez and Caretta are the best IMHO. La Botana next. Have not tried Peppers but always has cars in parking lot.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Not a fan of dealing with the west side of 6 but I love me some La Botana. If I find myself in yuppie cookie cutter land I go to mi familia toco loco. Hth
Orozco05
Coco loco on the feeder road right before Rock prairie is good.

There's a gas station across from Scarmado Produce on 2818 called EZ mart or something like that with a taco shop inside. One of my favorite places in town. Usually go for the pork in salsa verde or the azado. Make tortillas right there on the spot.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
quote:
I quit going to the Ho-Jo La Familia years ago when they switched the bacon to strips of curly fat. Now I only eat at Yole's, Garpez, Coco Loco (meh), and sometimes La Familia on Barron.

Blasphemy!

For me, the different spots offer different things. I prefer the fatty slabs of pork goodness at Mi Familia Coco Loco. They also combine all the ingredients when you order. Some places already have premade eggs and meat combined.

For an actual plate of food, it's MFCL. For tacos, Jesse's gets the nod with MFCL coming in second. However, my favorite salsa is at Garpez. Simply divine. What we don't have in some decent options, we are more than abundant for good Mexican food for breakfast.
rilloaggie
AG
I like Maggie's on Texas Ave at Coulter in Bryan. Not a sit down spot really but the tacos are awesome. I love the Mexican potato and the chicharrones!
FlyRod
Tried Casa Pachita this morning. Good coffee and great service (really super friendly), but food pretty "meh." The hunt contiues...
techno-ag
AG
It ain't Mexican, necessarily, but I do like Rudy's breakfast tacos.
Polska
AG
Who has the best migas? If anyone has been to Big Truck Taco in Oklahoma City or Jaliscos in Seguin, I'm talking migas like that. I was very underwhelmed by the migas at la familia in Bryan.
nickstro66
AG
Seems like the consensus is that Garpez is pretty good. It's by my house and it always seems pretty crowded. I'll have to try it one morning. Any recommendations?
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Anytime I try a new place, I always go basic with bacon/egg/cheese. If that's no good, I'm suspicious unless someone has a recommendation.

For Garpez, pay extra and order chips and salsa (if you're getting it to go).
Pop the chips in the microwave for 15-20 seconds.
Enjoy the salsa.
Bliss.
BlueMiles
AG
I miss Los Nortenos migas.

I don't know why the forum code keeps "correcting" the "~" for me.
FlyRod
Actually, techno, there is a style of brisket tacos from Mexico City, so Rudy's may not be totally off base. Not cooked quite the same way, but it is brisket.
Yuccadoo
quote:
I like Maggie's on Texas Ave at Coulter in Bryan. Not a sit down spot really but the tacos are awesome. I love the Mexican potato and the chicharrones!
This! Killer green sauce.
michellecan
Jesse's in Bryan has the best brisket tacos in town, hands down. Ask for it with potatoes and white cheese. His wife calls that the Big Boy taco bc you gotta be big to eat it all.
FlyRod
Putting Casa Rod in the rotation. Ginormous portions even at breakfast but very good. Charro beans are awesome. Decent coffee.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.