Swamp Tails Cajun Restaurant and Bar

53,284 Views | 259 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by LastHamlet
annie88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Saw it today and gave it a try, Good food, nice place. Would recommend. I thought the Boudin Balls were excellent. Friendly servers, fast service. Only concern is location, not great, but if they can get a good word out there, will probably do well.

Its in strip center where Holicks is on Wellborne, down from the old Cafe Excell.
originaltexan
I think I know where that is..next to the blood bank / pay for blood place?
annie88
AG
quote:
I think I know where that is..next to the blood bank / pay for blood place?
Same strip center but on the south end. DCI is more on the left end.
Bunk Moreland
can't wait to try it out
eagleese
AG
OP, thanks! Noticed Swamp Tails today....can't wait to stop by.
AggieBarstool
Cool, gotta check it out.

Also, FWIW, DCI is no longer DCI.
AggiePhil
AG
Tried it earlier in the week for lunch and it was alright. However, the po boy was extremely messy (to be expected) so I would like to see them offer a lunch portion seafood basket for people not wanting the bread or the mess of a po boy. Etouffe and gumbo aren't my favorites--I usually gauge a place on its fried or blackened seafood alone. At $17 for the only seafood basket/platter they had, I couldn't do that. I also don't think they serve fries, which I found odd. Not that I always want fries with my fried seafood but they just go well with po boys and such.
agdad01
Ate there last night had the Crawfish Etouffee with Grits - excellent, the Alligator burger is also very good. They do server fries as a side.
annie88
AG
The owner said they're still settling in. More options to come. I only had the two items, boudin balls and onion/cheese, rue-like soup. Both pretty good. Will see how it goes. The atmosphere was nice. We'll see.

And yes, the fries were down in the corner of the menu under side items.

sides

Redskin Potato Salad
Cajun French Fries
Cajun Potato Chips
Sugar Snap Peas
Mandarin Oranges
Corn on the Cobb
Red Potatoes
Andouille Sausage
swamptails
Just wanted to shout out thanks to all the Aggies coming out to support our first month of business. For those of you that don't know, Swamp Tails is a Aggie owned and operated Cajun Restaurant and Bar located in the Westgate Center at 4353 Wellborn Rd. If you want fresh seafood and authentic Cajun food made from scratch with a laid back atmosphere and 29 degree beer, then this is the place for you. We have a huge dog friendly deck and every seat in the house has a view of a TV for all of you sport fans. We welcome all comments good or bad. Feedback from our guests allows us to make this place better for all of our Aggies and others. To AggiePhil, just wanted you to know that we do offer french fries and if there is something different that you would like to have that is not on the menu, please ask. We have the capability to honor almost any request.(Shrimp basket is not a problem) Thanks again for your support and we hope to see you all soon.

techno-ag
halibut sinclair
aggmaroon
AG
My husband and I went to Swamp Tails last Saturday. We had the alligator burger with crawfish fondue. It was fabulous. I also had a frozen hurricane, which was very refreshing. The fried boudin balls were delicious. We thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Everyone was very nice. We will definitely be back.
The Original AG 76
AG
quote:
My husband and I went to Swamp Tails last Saturday. We had the alligator burger with crawfish fondue. It was fabulous. I also had a frozen hurricane, which was very refreshing. The fried boudin balls were delicious. We thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Everyone was very nice. We will definitely be back.

Oh lord, I should not have read this so close to lunch. Your list is almost what my " one last meal" would look like!
Just made me so damn hungry!!!
The Original AG 76
AG
quote:
Just wanted to shout out thanks to all the Aggies coming out to support our first month of business. For those of you that don't know, Swamp Tails is a Aggie owned and operated Cajun Restaurant and Bar located in the Westgate Center at 4353 Wellborn Rd. If you want fresh seafood and authentic Cajun food made from scratch with a laid back atmosphere and 29 degree beer, then this is the place for you. We have a huge dog friendly deck and every seat in the house has a view of a TV for all of you sport fans. We welcome all comments good or bad. Feedback from our guests allows us to make this place better for all of our Aggies and others. To AggiePhil, just wanted you to know that we do offer french fries and if there is something different that you would like to have that is not on the menu, please ask. We have the capability to honor almost any request.(Shrimp basket is not a problem) Thanks again for your support and we hope to see you all soon.

For some reason the iPhone map thing has you out near Fat Burger on Welborn and Cain!
FlyRod
I love the place. The crab cakes are great, as is the redfish. It's NOT cheap, so the "kinda expensive for this town" flock might be turned off.
aggmaroon
AG
I would really like to try the blackened grouper sandwich, and there was a couple of appetizers that looked really great. I look forward to returning. I may have to do it this weekend after all this talk of Cajun food. Lol
KidDoc
AG
Ok that's it I'm going to Swamp Tails tonight. Let the Cajun food invasion of BCS begin!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
I love the place. The crab cakes are great, as is the redfish. It's NOT cheap, so the "kinda expensive for this town" flock might be turned off.
It's getting to where eating out most anywhere is not cheap, it seems.
originaltexan
Good food is pricey.

Golden Corral exists for a reason.
FlyRod
aggmaroon, call ahead to see if the grouper is available. They seem picky about their seafood re freshness and run out a lot. Last time I was there both the redfish and grouper were out.
FlyRod
quote:
It's getting to where eating out most anywhere is not cheap, it seems.

Not at all. You can eat for less than $5 easily at just about any fast food joint or Mexican taqueria.

You could also serial graze the free sample stations at SAM's Club.
aggmaroon
AG
Too bad we don't have a Costco. They have great free samples. Lol
techno-ag
AG
I dunno. Good stuff is expensive. The price of steaks seems high. It hasn't stopped us, but I suspect it might be affecting some.
Brewmaster
AG
29 degree beer? I think that's called ice. or just cold tasteless american beer.

regardless, looking forward to trying out the food!
FlyRod
Spot on, Brew. I've seen other places advertise that, and I just shake my head...
australopithecus robustus
The freezing point of beer depends on its alcohol content, but it generally freezes at around 28 degrees Fahrenheit. Beer is typically between 6 and 20 proof. For reference, 24 proof liquor freezes at 20 degrees, 64 proof liquor freezes at -23 degrees, and 84 proof liquor freezes at -30 degrees.
halibut sinclair
I guess he's not master of his brew domain. Beer freezes around 27-28 degrees.
KidDoc
AG
Wife and I went by tonight. Great customer service and we enjoyed it overall. The location could be a bit scary at night so that may be an issue. The venue is nice and big and has some nice bars and will be good for sports.

I had an alligator burger that I split with my wife and then we split her crab cake appetizer. For a drink I had a Shiner draft and then a well rita both were great. The alligator burger was a bit on the dry/tough side but had good flavor. The crab cakes were very good.

We will be back I want to try the crawfish ettouffe sometime!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
halibut sinclair
quote:
The location could be a bit scary at night so that may be an issue.
Wow.
eagleese
AG
Stopped for dinner tonight with my son. Great friendly service. Had blackened chicken alfredo and son had alligator burger, Food was great. Enjoyed the tall Shiner on tap. Would recommend and will be back,

The Original AG 76
AG
At Swamp Tails now. Great food. Planning our next 10-12 visits to try entire menu.
Gator burger awesome
touffe Amazing
Crab cakes. Good
Service excellent
The Original AG 76
AG
Almost forgot...
Tall Shiner Bock .... Excellent
And she loved her Rita.
Ya'll need to try this place
summergal
Tried it last week. My husband is a PoBoy fan and he really enjoyed the fried oyster. I ate all his cajun chips. I ordered the gumbo...that was disappointing. Small bowl and I actually counted the seafood and it was very tiny to say the least. I will try it again.

What happened to the potato salad? DH was looking forward to that.
w8liftr
How does it compare to M Beaux?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.