Home Builder BCS?

6,498 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Jeffrey Leatherwood
ag009
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for some homebuilder recommendations. Anyone used CGM Home Builders (Billy Chenault) before?

TIA!
techno-ag
AG
People here have praised Pitman before.
Mr. Griswold
CGM is good and would probably be in a different category than Pitman. More of a full custom builder.
BipolarYelper
LOVE Billy and his whole team! He builds a fine house. We're in the trade and have worked with him for about 15 years. You can't go wrong with him.
MsC2012
AG
What is the price per square foot they are building at these days?
ShipWreckGrill
John Magruder Homes
SumAggie
Mariott Homes
AggiePhil
AG
In the $500k+ price range, I would look at Mariott, Ellis, CGM, and Blackstone. What is your budget and approximate sqft?
InMyOpinion
I have walked through several of his homes and they have all be very nice but very pricey $500k and up.

i have also heard good things about Pitman, walked through some of his in the $300k range.
AG @ HEART
Been in several Gregg homes he does good work.
ag009
AG
Looking for ~$600,000 including lot in Traditions, Indian Lakes, or other places with non "neighborhood" feel. Anyone familiar on range of construction cost per square foot these days??

Thanks for all the suggestions!!
JenniferJennings
I would highly recommend Blackstone. They build a great product and work primarily in the price point you are wanting to be in...and in the communities you mentioned, so they really know how to build a higher end home. Call Charles at 979-402-4439 over there...he can answer any questions you have-and won't pressure you along the way
happyinBCS
Mariott
UmustBKidding
Can't give you a price, but I hear everything is at a premium because of the volume and limit of availability of quality subs in the area. Have worked in finished homes Billy Chenault, Keith Ellis and Larry Marriott have built. In my opinion CGM was the best craftsmanship. The Ellis home was probably double your price and it was a stretch for them and showed in places. The Marriott was nice with lots of small issues that were not resolved but I hear that the problem in that case is no longer a problem.
I know that Billy has great relationship with subs since he was one for many years here and does things in house rather than get a crew in from outside the area. They build really nice quality stuff. Not that others don't or can't but there are lots of "custom" home builders in the area that build things I would consider worse than some tract house vendors. Personally if their homes are in places like castle gate, creek meadows and almost any new CS subdivision I would move past them quickly.
buckaroll
AG
quote:
Can't give you a price, but I hear everything is at a premium because of the volume and limit of availability of quality subs in the area. Have worked in finished homes Billy Chenault, Keith Ellis and Larry Marriott have built. In my opinion CGM was the best craftsmanship. The Ellis home was probably double your price and it was a stretch for them and showed in places. The Marriott was nice with lots of small issues that were not resolved but I hear that the problem in that case is no longer a problem.
I know that Billy has great relationship with subs since he was one for many years here and does things in house rather than get a crew in from outside the area. They build really nice quality stuff. Not that others don't or can't but there are lots of "custom" home builders in the area that build things I would consider worse than some tract house vendors. Personally if their homes are in places like castle gate, creek meadows and almost any new CS subdivision I would move past them quickly.

According to your above statement, then Keith Ellis is the only homebuilder you would use then. I know that Marriott and CGM have built in the Estates of Creek Meadows.
UmustBKidding
Would not doubt Larry builds in CM. I have seen nothing of the class Billy build in Creak Meadows and I live less than a mile from there. Would love to have the address of that property. Everything I have seen looks like typically tract housing. The Creek Meadows web site does not show CGM as a builder there either. Not sure why you would build a $400K house on a $80K postage stamp sized lot.

buckaroll
AG
I know both have built on Buffalo Creek Loop. Keys and Walsh and Schaefer Custom Homes have also built a house or two on the Estates side.
Brewmaster
AG
We love our Pitman home. They do build some very nice customs as well. Bill, Jimmy's dad has been building houses a Long long time. They're all Aggies, very honest and have very good subs.

I've also been impressed by JMV (also in our neighborhood). He's very hands on and builds a very detail oriented house. copy and paste below from an older thread:

quote:
My neighbors had a custom built home by JMV Custom Homes, Jason Merek. They absolutely love their home and I personally saw Mr. Merek there each and every day hands on overseeing construction. I believe he builds the majority of the houses in the Bryan area,
gus1390
AG
for Indian Lakes, Magruder would be my top recommendation
TXTransplant
quote:
Looking for ~$600,000 including lot in Traditions, Indian Lakes, or other places with non "neighborhood" feel. Anyone familiar on range of construction cost per square foot these days??

Thanks for all the suggestions!!

There are several under construction Schaefer spec homes in Indian Lakes listed on HAR.com. They are listed at about $650k/$163-$183 per sq ft.
vaaggie86
AG
I used Ridgewood Custom Homes for my house in Castlegate last July we are extremely happy
justalocal
I own a Pitman and I'd buy another.

Out of all the homes I've seen around here in the 500+ range, Crowley and Blackstone are my favorites. I also think Golden makes a nice home.
befitter
Ellis. He has built 2 homes for us. I'd use him again.
MiMi
S
quote:
Personally if their homes are in places like castle gate, creek meadows and almost any new CS subdivision I would move past them quickly.
Marriott built a $225,00 house just down the street from me in Castlegate. There are quite a few Marriott houses in this subdivision.
AggiePhil
AG
I've been going through this for the past few months. Best piece of advice I got was from an inspector. He said there are more good builders here than bad ones. I've found that to be very true.
Sailor
Blackstone is making it right.
Cayaggie01
AG
We used Magruder in Traditions. very good experience.
Aggieterri
AG
Keith Ellis built our home in Traditions. Very happy with his work.
mgreen
I own a CGM home and love it. Billy is GREAT to work with and you do not hear that about many builders.
longsisters
AG
Thanks for the input, everyone!
Ribbed Paultz
Thought I'd ask this here rather than creating a new thread.

Does anyone have any experience/knowledge about The Parkland Group? They've built homes in Traditions and Miramont. We really like one of their homes in Sweetwater Forest. It's a small husband/wife team that builds larger homes. We are considering using them and wanted feedback from anyone with knowledge of them.
Ric Clark
Give Ryan Lundell a call and you will be pleased....

Infinity Homes
lundell2002@yahoo.com
Ribbed Paultz
Bump for the Monday am crowd.

Anyone have experience or knowledge of The Parkland Group?
originaltexan
Highly recommend dealing with

a) builder that has been in town for at least 5 years
b) not a corporation monster and not a tract builder
c) preferably an Aggie
d) financially strong
e) built at least 5 houses in 2014
f) has good references
g) will walk with you through some of his current projects and explain why he is different
Jeffrey Leatherwood
I have a few builders I recommend based on different needs and styles. Call me or email me. I can give you the unbiased scoop.
Aggieland Properties, We didn't set the bar, we raised it! www.Aggieland-Properties.com I www.BuyAggieland.com I 888-856-2281
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.