Any wine collectors in the area?

3,470 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Slocum on a mobile
C XX I
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm liquidating some of my small collection (specifically a 2010 Hall Exzellenz, 2007 Hall Jack's Masterpiece, a 2009 ZD Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon, and a few others). If any of yall are interested, or know someone who is, I'd like to sell these simply instead of dealing with a random website. Thanks.
FlyRod
If you find no one here, talk to the wine steward Chris at Veritas. At the least he could hook you up with someone interested.
OnlyANobody
Interested in what the few others might be. EyeSmellRatz@yahoo.com
C XX I
Sent, thanks.
nought
AG
I may be interested. Do you mind posting the full list of what you have for sale?

How have the wines been stored? Did you purchase them winery-direct, from local liquor stores, or some other way?

How close are you hoping to get to retail pricing?
C XX I
I am on the road today, but I'll try to update this post this evening or early tomorrow. Thanks for the interest.
FlyRod
I might be interested as well depending on what ya got.
C XX I
This is what is left:

2009 ZD Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon (Hall family origin)
2005 Wolf Family Estate Cabernet Sauvignon (Hall family origin)
2010 Joseph Phelps Quarter Moon Pinot Noir (Pogo's origin)

All of these were purchased at a charity auction in Dallas after having been donated either by Pogo's from their backroom cool/dark storage (horizontal placement, 57 degrees, low light when lights are on) or from the Hall family (I do not know their exact storage conditions, but given their reputation in the business I think it's safe to trust them). Since being purchased they have been kept horizontal in a dark and steady 57 degrees with the exception of being inspected recently by a local distribution wine sales supervisor who agreed that all of the bottles looked to be in good condition. As for pricing, I have been going off of an average of the 3rd party to 3rd party non-charitable auctions online but am open to offers.

If there's anything I missed or worded poorly, let me know. Thanks.
BSD
AG
FWIW, last year I sold a bottle of 2005 Wolf Family Cabernet for $100, which was the exact price I bought it for at the winery in 2011.

How did you store your bottles after purchase (how were they at 57dF)?
C XX I
The wine was/is kept in a fan circulated always-on wine fridge with two temperature probes, inside a vented closet rebuilt for this purpose.

That price would be perfectly reasonable. I'm not trying to make a business out of selling these, just thinning the herd.

If anyone would like pictures of the bottles/labels for any reason, I could have them next Monday (I am out of town until then).
soso33
Purchased at a charity auction in Dallas. What temperature were they for the 4-hour trip to BCS? thanks
AggiePhil
AG
quote:
Purchased at a charity auction in Dallas. What temperature were they for the 4-hour trip to BCS? thanks

Is wine really that fragile? Just wondering. I'm more of a distilled spirits man.
OnlyANobody
Sorry. Been corrected on the fragility of wine..

But someone who takes wines seriously does store them in the manner described here and does care for them in this or very similar fashion. FWIW, the ones that are missing from the list were transported carefully and were as cool to the touch as they should be. (Yes, to the touch. I didn't have a thermometer) So it follows that the same care would have been taken in transporting from Dallas. Doing business was straightforward and simple. Would trust OP for future transactions.

How was that for a Yelp! review?
BSD
AG
quote:
quote:

Is wine really that fragile? Just wondering. I'm more of a distilled spirits man.
No, wine isn't really that fragile. I wouldn't leave a bottle in an unattended hot car all day but transporting at room temp for that drive is just fine.
OnlyANobody
I err on the side of caution. I don't think there's any harm in it.
BSD
AG
Erring on the side of caution is fine. I'm the same way. But when you consider that wineries that charge $750+/btl ship their wines out UPS Ground for a 5 day transport (in cool weather), a 3 hour drive in an air conditioned car isn't bad at all.
C XX I
quote:

If that's a 4 hour drive for you, maybe we should be talking about maps or car maintenance instead of wine.

The car was 70 degrees, and they were kept (padded) in a cooler to keep the temperature steady. But, no, wine isn't that fragile. I just prefer to err on the side of caution and give whomever is buying from me the reassurance that I take care of my possessions. Heck, I got a car wash before selling the previous bottles to OnlyANobody because I didn't want to show up in a clunker that looked like it was worth less than the wine.

OAN, I'm glad you appreciated them being cool. Enjoy!
duffelpud
AG

I hope it was a Rolls, Lovie!

Brewmaster
AG
Beer can age like wine too! well brewed ones can at least. I've brewed an Cab infused Imperial Stout before - Oak cubes soaked in Cab (a decent cab, not a $6 one). That beer was phenomenal, I'll have to brew it again soon, then let it age leading up to winter.
AG
As a lover of fine wines, I always keep my Boone's Farm in the garage fridge stored vertically. I only drink the fresh stuff not, some junk thats been sitting around for years. I prefer a to drink from a Styrofoam cup or straight out of the bottle.
Tim Weaver
Wines don't get "stored" at my house. We drink them...
C XX I
Wanna drink these?
Post removed:
by user
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.