PSA: The USPS is completely unreliable in B/CS

28,301 Views | 133 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Rockdoc
Tailgate88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I realize there are other threads in the past few months about this, but it has gotten worse.

In the past month:

• I have at least three documented incidents of mail sent from across town to my PO Box where the letters have disappeared.
  • In other cases, mail is postmarked over a week ago before it appears, when cross-town mail used to come in one day.
  • A package my wife was tracking made it to Bryan and then sat there for five days before it was delivered.
  • My kids summer camp packets were mailed from the camp on June 26. One arrived Thursday the 2nd, the other arrived yesterday, Wednesday the 8th. (Four days after camp started.)

I realize the mail is going to Houston now, but it should not take a week to come back. I have spoken with some local postal employees who not only acknowledge the problem, but say they don't even mail their OWN bills anymore - they pay everything online. In fact there are other stories that I will not relate here, but suffice to day - it's bad and getting worse.

So just so you know - if you are sending something that you actually want to get there, find another way than the U.S. Mail.
redd38
AG
Yep, I hate USPS. I'd pay an extra fee if Amazon prime would never use them to ship my packages.
Tailgate88
AG
Ironically, Prime packages always seem to arrive on time. I guess they know if the screw up the two day delivery, Amazon will not be happy.

momlaw
AG
I love my carrier. She is contract and goes above and beyond to service me from the point she gets the mail to delivery and pick up. Issues for this route are within USPS and their subs. When our regular was gone for two days the first being Friday the sub did not even stop at our box. The next day I heard the vehicle pull up and busted the sub putting a pick up ticket in my box without trying to deliver. She was really POd, had difficulty finding the certified mail and made me sign both docs. It should have been delivered the day prior when she did not stop.

Like I said, I love my regular carrier. Our neighborhood is fortunate to have her and our stellar UPS driver.
DBSwooper
quote:
I love my carrier. She is contract and goes above and beyond...
Our contract carrier skips days, leaves the mailbox open in the rain, will hang onto packages a day or two after they show "delivered." The neighborhood has complained but USPS doesn't care.

Actually going to the post office is the worst. The amount of disregard for even trying to act like the workers care is staggering. I've never worked a job where so few F***s could be given and I used to work for the government! On the other side of the coin, it does look like a solid "don't care" retirement job.
AggiePirate
AG
The post office is no kind of retirement. Unless you just like seeing people suffer. In that case agreed.
rc_cat
I had a package leave the N. Houston facility on the afternoon of 7/3 and it wasn't marked as received in CS until early morning 7/7. I know there was a holiday, but I think I probably could've walked it from Houston to CS in that amount of time!

Also, our carrier apparently looks at only the street number on the items - 3 out of 6 days a week we get mail intended for the next street over. I complained, but it hasn't gotten any better. We can only wonder if we're getting all our mail.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Hmm. No issues here. I have packages delivered all the time both ups and usps. Their tracking system is a joke but I get my packages typically a day earlier than their scheduled delivery date on the tracking system.
FlyRod
Never had a problem with local USPS. FedEx? That's a very different story.
AggieDarlin
AG
Why doesn't everyone form a posse, buy a ton of poster boards, paint "You suck" in big letters, and then arrive at the post office at the same time to tape 'em on the windows, facing the inside? They may still not care, but it's their turn to clean up a mess. I mean, they aren't doing anything anyway, right?
Oogway
Our mail system is really pretty cool if you stop and think about it. (Although that doesn't help much if you are waiting on a package).
FedEx and UPS combined process 25 million packages a day. That's a lot! The US Postal Service processes 554 million pieces of mail a day. That is even more than a lot! Those figures are from 2012 and I haven't looked to see if they are sourced the same, but there is a lot of shipping going on for sure.

One advantage that the shipping companies have is that they only deliver to an address when they have a package in hand. But your friendly (or not) carrier drives or walks down your street six days a week in case you have something to pick up. One could argue this is inefficient or one could argue this is a blessing to the homebound.

I think I recall reading once that the shipping companies and places like Amazon contract with the USPS because the USPS has the infrastructure needed to get the packages delivered on time. ( there is some debate about whether the USPS is charging these companies enough, but the details of their contract are privileged). If the USPS folded our shipping costs would rise. Good for some businesses, but it might be a rough adjustment period. While a lot of correspondence can be handled electronically, there are some things that still must be sent through the post, and suddenly, getting that vital bit of mail to Sun Valley, Idaho or some tiny town in Michigan or rural Texas might be tricky...and expensive. While that is in alignment with a small government perspective, it would certainly be the end of a long and colorful history in America.

What is really amazing is despite the stories here, how often these entities get it right when there are so many places for it to go wrong. At least when your fast food order is messed up, you can take it back to the restaurant. It can be a lot more difficult to do with mail that has sometimes traveled around the globe before landing on your front porch.

Sorry for rambling...

Edit-spelling.
AggiePirate
AG
quote:
Our mail system is really pretty cool if you stop and think about it. (Although that doesn't help much if you are waiting on a package).
FedEx and UPS combined process 25 million packages a day. That's a lot! The US Postal Service processes 554 million pieces of mail a day. That is even more than a lot! Those figures are from 2012 and I haven't looked to see if they are sourced the same, but there is a lot of shipping going on for sure.

Oogway
I should probably clarify that the USPS cannot exactly 'fold' like a business as it is an independent government entity authorized by the US Constitution, but it is tasked somewhat with running like a business. It does not directly receive taxpayer dollars 'with the exception of subsidies for costs associated with disabled and overseas voters.'

In 2011, USPS announced it would close 252 out of its 461 mail processing centers.
InMyOpinion
I don't have any issues but I might check my mail once every 2 weeks. If I order something it's usually fedex or UPS.

I guess I am lucky that my day does not revolve around when and if the mail is delivered
deh40
AG
We mailed a birthday card to my niece in Dallas back in March at the Wellborn post office. It never arrived and never came back. Then we were dumb enough to mail a Father's Day card to my father in law in Houston at the same wellborn post office. Once again never arrived.
oklaunion
quote:
It does not directly receive taxpayer dollars 'with the exception of subsidies for costs associated with disabled and overseas voters.'

WASHINGTON The U.S. Postal Service ended the June 30, 2014, quarter with a net loss of

$2.0 billion, compared to a net loss of $740 million for the same period last year. The Postal Service has recorded a loss in 21 of the last 23 quarters, the excepted quarters being the two in which Congress rescheduled the Retiree Health Benefits prefunding payments.

So if they don't get taxpayer dollars, where do they make up the loss every quarter?
Oogway
That is a great question. The recession & declining first class mail has had an effect on their bottom line that is yet to recover. I do not know the answer. Since this is the internet, I could try and look it up, but I will speculate that they may do some creative accounting similar to what Texas does when it has to balance the budget. (ugh, that is a whole 'nother topic)
nickstro66
AG
I went up to their office near Walmart to try and get some mail that they tried to deliver when I wasn't home. I showed them the confirmation number and they refused to get me my mail. They kept telling me that my confirmation number was invalid even though in the email they sent me it clearly gave the confirmation number. They refused to even look the confirmation number up. It was frustrating.
ksp
quote:
I should probably clarify that the USPS cannot exactly 'fold' like a business as it is an independent government entity authorized by the US Constitution, but it is tasked somewhat with running like a business. It does not directly receive taxpayer dollars 'with the exception of subsidies for costs associated with disabled and overseas voters.'

In 2011, USPS announced it would close 252 out of its 461 mail processing centers.
They do get tax payers dollars. At the end of their fiscal year they figure what tax they would owe. Then pay it to themselves. So in a sense they do get taxpayer money as they keep what should go into the coffers for us lowly peasants down below.

They also receive 100 million per year from the Govt to allow them to offer free mailings for the blind and disabled people (for the record I have no issue with this, but do on the above part, your either a business and should follow business rules, or you are an extension of the govt, they have the best of both worlds)
Stucco
My mailbox contains 95% SPAM. It is far worse than my email.

It is interesting to see that SPAM is illegal when it does not fund the government.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
quote:
My mailbox contains 95% SPAM. It is far worse than my email.

It is interesting to see that SPAM is illegal when it does not fund the government.

No joke. I get probably 30 -40 pieces of mail a week. And most of it never makes it into my house. I sort it and drop it in the trash before I even go in. So annoying.
ksp
Stucco, about a year ago I began to not open each piece of spam mail I got, but instead began to place in a empty drawer and placed them standing upright like they are filed in the truck for delivery.

After 5 week I started a second drawer. I gave up the experiment a week later when the other drawer became 25% full.
rhoswen
AG
They could probably run a lot more smoothly if they eliminated junk mail. My carrier at my apartment laughs because I take it out of the box, go through it to see if there's anything important, then toss it right there in the trash can that's provided for this reason . He doesn't like it any more than we do.
Stucco
I suspect junk mail is what is keeping the USPS alive. They are the oldest/newest ad-supported business.

1: Create a content delivery system that reaches every person in the country
2: Legally require users to periodically log in
3: Make it available to advertisers
4: Profit Somehow manage to continuously lose vast amounts of money even though the deck is stacked entirely in your favor
Gigem314
AG
quote:
Ironically, Prime packages always seem to arrive on time. I guess they know if the screw up the two day delivery, Amazon will not be happy.

Well, they fudge the numbers to make sure Amazon doesn't know.

Supposedly our area offers Sunday shipping with Prime. I placed an order on a Friday that was supposed to arrive on Sunday, and it was checked as delivered to my address on Sunday according to Amazon tracking...but wasn't delivered until Monday. Not a big deal, but I thought the package had been dropped off at the wrong address initially. And it was a $150 purchase.
redd38
AG
quote:
quote:

Well, they fudge the numbers to make sure Amazon doesn't know.

Supposedly our area offers Sunday shipping with Prime. I placed an order on a Friday that was supposed to arrive on Sunday, and it was checked as delivered to my address on Sunday according to Amazon tracking...but wasn't delivered until Monday. Not a big deal, but I thought the package had been dropped off at the wrong address initially. And it was a $150 purchase.
Yeah, they do that to me sometimes too. The tracking will show it was delivered on the day Amazon says it should be delivered, but doesn't actually get delivered until the next day.

I avoid buying things now if I know it'll be delivered on Sunday because my apartment office isn't open on Sunday, so USPS just leaves a big pile of packages at the front door of the office, which is at the very front of the complex.
rhoswen
AG
I'm actually surprised the environazis don't speak up more about junk mail.
James Russell
AG
quote:
I placed an order on a Friday that was supposed to arrive on Sunday, and it was checked as delivered to my address on Sunday according to Amazon tracking...but wasn't delivered until Monday.
That's when you give amazon a call, and let them know. If you pay for prime, they almost go overboard with customer service in a good way. In the past, when items don't show up when they said they would (or at all), they would either give me amazon credit, or ship it again overnight.
Gigem314
AG
Good to know. I'll be sure to do that in future.
Tailgate88
AG
I've actually had good luck with Sunday deliveries. In fact they are usually here by 10:00am - I guess because they don't have that much to deliver on Sundays. I do think one time something didn't show up until Monday but we were out of town that weekend so I am not 100% sure.

Definitely do have the problem with getting mail for the next street over all the time. Same street number, but the next street. At least 2-3 times a month I drive over and throw their mail in their mailbox - and not junk mail either, packages. Makes me wonder how much of my mail ends up in others mailboxes and if they return the favor?
mwm
I own a business in BCS & reliable mail service is extremely important to the timely conduct of the business.

Ever since the Bryan sorting center closed, mail service has become abysmal. When I need assurance that something I send out must get there in a timely fashion, I send it via an overnight service and pass the cost onto the client.

What I have noticed over the last 6-12 months or so, is that I do not get "significant" mail on Tuesday. Every once & awhile, something slips through and is delivered but, for the most part, Tuesday mail is junk mail. It appears that our "real" Tuesday mail is then added to the Wednesday mail delivery. As a result, I lose a day in making a response to requests and paying my bills. I'd be curious to know if others experience the same with their Tuesday mail.

In my opinion, this is NOT on my carrier. She is a terrific lady and when we've approached her about the problems, she is very apologetic and frustrated. She tells us the problem is in Houston where the BCS mail is now being sorted.

Complaining to the local post office is absolutely useless because it appears to fall on deaf ears.

fanof3.88
I was just reading this thread and then went to check my mail and...I got a postcard from BAGS trash pickup that my day was changed from Friday to Thursday due to the fourth of July. Well I missed that trash pickup because I had no idea of the change. I looked on the front of the card and it was postmarked June 24th sent from 77803. I received it today July 10th. Now that is getting into my pocket since I had to drive to the landfill to take my trash and had to pay for it. SMH.
ksp
Typical, smooth, timely performance by something Govt related. (yes I know they say they are not Govt, but lets not kid ourselves)
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
quote:
It does not directly receive taxpayer dollars 'with the exception of subsidies for costs associated with disabled and overseas voters.'

WASHINGTON The U.S. Postal Service ended the June 30, 2014, quarter with a net loss of

$2.0 billion, compared to a net loss of $740 million for the same period last year. The Postal Service has recorded a loss in 21 of the last 23 quarters, the excepted quarters being the two in which Congress rescheduled the Retiree Health Benefits prefunding payments.

So if they don't get taxpayer dollars, where do they make up the loss every quarter?

sounds like the USPS needs to sell 2 more iced teas per hour
aggiegal99
My sister mailed 2 postcards, one for each of my kids, from the Florida keys on July 1. One of them was delivered Wednesday. The other is not here yet.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.