Need to Get My Car Inspected - Looking for Recommendations

4,156 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Crusader
LunitadelNox
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Like the title says, need to get my car inspected and would like recommendations for a good place that won't try to jip me out of my money (like the old, "hey, your air filter is dirty" trick).

Btw, all the recommendations I've gotten on here so far have been great! Thanks, guys.

JP76
University Tire
armymom
Quicker Sticker on 2818
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Hell no on Quicker Sticker after the ******* owner went on a tirade on the auto board when he got called out for his shop requiring unneeded services in order to pass a vehicle. Customer was a woman and they were clearly attempting to take advantage.

I'll never do business with this guy again. The good stuff (replies from the ******* owner) start on page 2:

http://texags.com/forums/46/topics/2626209
LunitadelNox
quote:
Hell no on Quicker Sticker
Thanks for the warning!
happyinBCS
Pilgers tire
BCStalk
Be sure all who visit this thread to read page 2 of the above link. Glad it's still up. I've heard ten to many horror stories about Quicker Sticker but this one was the best. Stay far away from Quicker Sticker. Unfortunately I didn't know this before hand a few years ago and used them. Big mistake.
biobioprof
quote:
Pilgers tire
AggiePirate
AG
Honda dealership. Just take the advice. Drove in, in a non Honda vehicle, completely unscheduled. They got me out of there in half an hour. Best part is their waiting room, which is stocked with free cold bottled water and cable/free wifi. Not to mention the incredibly comfortable chairs in the cold, uncrowded guest area. It was more like a luxury getaway. (a $7 luxury getaway). I did not even enjoy any of the water. Some mean looking *dontwanttooffendanyone* man grabbed the entire remaining stock of a few bottles for his family. (Likely for the trek home through the desert) A pic or two from my last experience, which again was bliss:

Tanya 93
Is that the place behind Sevcik's?

I never understood why I had to replace my blades every year!
NativeTxn
Pete's Auto Care @29th street and Villa Maria! I've been there two years in a row now for state inspection and they never try to upsell me. Takes about 30 minutes or so if they are busy.
WildlifeAg02
I have had good luck with the quicker sticker behind NAPA on 2818 for several years, but the guys were getting argumentative (not over needed "repairs"- the one time my license plate bulb was out I changed it in the bay since I had a spare!) but over the location of the stickers.
This year I went to the place on Harvey across from the mall, near the Exxon, and they were great! It was around the first, but I was out in less than 10 minutes. Very courteous, and no up-sells.
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
Is that the place behind Sevcik's?

I never understood why I had to replace my blades every year!
they tried that on me several years ago. I walked over to NAPA and bought my own blades (they had already taken my sticker off, and i didn't want to risk a cop spotting me leaving with only one sticker on my truck).

I swore to never go back, but caved and did a few years later. I was in a hurry and had hoped that maybe i had just gotten a bad employee a few years before. They tried to sell me blades again, even though they were only about a month old. And they said that my headlights needed to be replaced. They were just dirty on the outside from living on a dirt road.

I would go anywhere but there.
91_Aggie
AG
Yeah, Quicker Sticker's latest thing is to say your headlights are dirty... they then offer to clean them for $20 to pass inspection.

I still go there since it is the fastest and I've never had them pull anything on me... probably because I'm a guy.
legalbird
not mentionkng any bames.here are some choices to pass. you can look on the counter and read about the boys working and your tip is appreciated because the state only pays him a little bit OR you can buy new windshield blades.most people will do this and the blades are about $15 OR the latest is headlight restiration for 20.00. if they flag you, good luck. they are the only ones that can unflag you.
medic1969p
Use Quicker Sticker all the time. Never tried to sell me anything and I'm a woman.
Brewmaster
AG
Wolf Creek Lube on Rock Prairie (their 2nd location, next to an Exxon I think)...

they were very professional and quick.
AggieWife2008
S
quote:
Hell no on Quicker Sticker after the ******* owner went on a tirade on the auto board when he got called out for his shop requiring unneeded services in order to pass a vehicle. Customer was a woman and they were clearly attempting to take advantage.

I'll never do business with this guy again :

I went here once and it was a horrible experience. I can't believe that thread happened!
Post removed:
by user
Jayjay4268
AG
My husband and I have actually had good experiences at Quicker sticker. I've gone a handful of times, all in and out in 10 minutes or less with zero problems. The guy working there was not friendly, I'm not sure we exchanged two words. Hate to see the owners crude words here, but for the sake of convenience I will probably continue to visit.
armymom
I've been going to Quicker Sticker for 10 years and never have had a problem with them. The only time they recommended anything was for my mom's tires on her 2000 Saturn that were dry rotted. I will still keep going there because they are fast and I never have to wait! If I ever have a problem I will take my business elsewhere, thank goodness we live in America!!
oklaunion
I've gone to that QS since they opened and never had a problem. Up to 5 vehicles in our fleet every year. Yeah, sometimes my wipers were bad or borderline and I paid for theirs. Not out of line, pricewise. They offer the service because some folks don't have the time, know-how, whatever, to go buy wipers themselves and install them. Probably the same guys who don't know how to change their own oil.
Are all of y'all who are complaining saying your wipers were perfect? Or your brake fluid was up to the minimum level? Or your tires legal? Or your light bulbs all working? They get fined if they pass a vehicle that doesn't meet specs and there ARE regulators out there who bring in throw down cars just to catch an inspection garage. Just like TABC does at liquor stores.
halibut sinclair
Never had a problem at the Bryan Quicker Sticker on Briarcrest. Been going there longer than I can remember. The stoner dudes there are always very nice.
BCStalk
No. And I am a certified mechanic who has had a state inspection license. I am aware of all the checks and fails yet they still tried to up sell me. Of course when I refused they said they would fail me. I gladly pulled my own license out and explained to them I was well aware of the rules and what do you know, I got my sticker. The problem is they don't know the actual laws regarding state inspections so they make up their own and try to screw the customer.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I've never had a problem with them personally and in fact used to recommend them. But the way the owner treated a customer on a public form, who's also a friend of mine, is more than enough for me to decide not to do business with them. I choose to not give my business to *******s when it can be avoided. There are other places in town I can go without putting money into this guy's pockets.
cz308
quote:

I'll never do business with this guy again. The good stuff (replies from the ******* owner) start on page 2:

I usually go there cause it's close to the house. This last time they said the headlight lenses were a bit dimmed and the wipers were getting bad. They never tried to charge me for replacements or cleaning though. Glad that you pointed out that thread for everyone to see. From here on out, I'll go somewhere else.
W
AG
if you bought your car at a local dealership...go to that same dealership for the inspection
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Wasn't Quicker Sticker originally located on Texas across from Target (where Copy Corner and Kolache Rolf's is now)?

If so, I have been using Quicker Sticker every year since around 1993 and have never once been sold anything. I'm not denying some people may have been taken advantage of, but I'm always in and out of there in 5 minutes and have never once had a problem myself. They haven't tried to take advantage of my wife, either. I guess we're just lucky.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
quote:

Greg D owns Quicker Sticker?
InMyOpinion
I have used quicker sticker since the early 90's and never once had an issue with them suggesting I need something fixed or replaced on any of the vehicles My wife or I brought it in.

jeremy360
Any place BUT quicker sticker 2818. Seen them take advantage of way too many people while waiting to have mine done. Mostly college age and elderly ladies.

Mine passed there the few times it was there, but i would not recommend them to anyone after seeing how they operate when given the chance.
BCStalk
Robbers don't rob every store they walk into just as quicker sticker doesn't scam every person who drives in. The problem is the mentality that they have is terrible. Just as easy to go elsewhere to an honest shop who takes pride in being a good person, something quicker sticker does not offer.
InMyOpinion
quote:
No. And I am a certified mechanic who has had a state inspection license. I am aware of all the checks and fails yet they still tried to up sell me. Of course when I refused they said they would fail me. I gladly pulled my own license out and explained to them I was well aware of the rules and what do you know, I got my sticker. The problem is they don't know the actual laws regarding state inspections so they make up their own and try to screw the customer.

So you had a state inspection license, but went elsewhere to get your car inspected?
BCStalk
quote:
quote:

So you had a state inspection license, but went elsewhere to get your car inspected?

Yes, I also used Lube King for my oil change that same day.
Rexter
This is not any sort of defensive comment toward quicker sticker, but:

If they pass a vehicle that has defects, they get fined and can possibly lose their license. I've gone there for years and have had blades recommended once. The blade had a 1/4" year at the end. I told the guy I'd go replace them as soon as I left and he let it go.

The old "headlights need ajustment" wasn't a scam. When I ran a Monkey Wards Auto Center in Houston, at that time we were required to check the adjustment with a machine. If the lights were out of spec, either they got adjusted or the car failed. Sure, people got pissed off, but when they got to see the specs on the machine, they calmed down.

If you ever get failed, ask to see the part. If you think it should pass, discuss it with the inspector. If you still fail, and disagree, call the DPS field inspector. They are (or used to be) very quick to respond and resolve the issue.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.