Best company for rodent control?

2,502 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Hammerheadjim
BCSMom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We handle our own pest control, but apparently have some rodent friends outside the house. We have an open greenspace behind us. Also noticed an old rat nest in a cabinet in the garage.

Going to have the husband trim down the tree/plant that is on the other side of the fence. The dog has been very attentive to that side of the fence at night.

Is there any way for me to deter them and keep them away!!! I don't do rodents!

ETA: How much does rodent service run?
AggieBaseball06
AG
Would your dog get along with a barn cat?
Turf-Ag02
AG
We've had really good service from Binford. They have trapped and removed several skunks as well as gotten rid of a lot of our rat/mice problems here at our shop.
originaltexan
One important thing is to stop them from entering.

STUF-FIT Copper Mesh is something you can put into every weep hole around your house. If you don't have brick, walk around and look for openings.

Seal with silicon if you have gaps in siding or trim boards. Buy $6.00 or higher silicon. The cheap stuff shrinks and cracks.

Traps, get plenty of traps and set along the perimeter of your garage, attic, etc

It will be an ongoing thing. You just have to stay strong and win!
FlyRod
Brace yourself: good rodent control runs quite a lot. From experience, I paid $1300 with $86 bi-monthly maintenance. If you live in a very large house, expect to pay more. You have to decide whether this is worth it, or try and tackle the problem yourself to save money. That might work, or might not. Rats are tough, and according to the stats the guy showed me, BCS has quite a problem with them, even in the newer developments. Good luck. When roof rats got into my attic awhile back it was nasty.
Brewmaster
AG
quote:
Would your dog get along with a barn cat?

W
AG
hungry cat is the preferred solution
justalocal
Sly Kapchinski. We had a mouse get thru an odd shaped weep hole in a previous house. He showed up on a weekend, set out traps, and had it caught by Monday. He did not charge us a weekend fee. He has also done our new home inspections for pest control. Our realtor uses him if the buyer has no preference, that's how we originally met him.
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
We would be happy to come take a look! With rodents it just depends on the situation. Normally we just take a look at the situation and tell you exactly what we would do and the cost for us to do it. 95% of the time you can do most of everything yourself with some sticky traps and a can of foam (yes we'll even tell you how to do it). We usually don't charge much, just a trip charge to come out and remove/replace traps or sticky pads (if you don't want to do it yourself).

The main thing we have is good rodent bait with bait boxes. The bait looks the exact same as the big box stores however it is not.. We don't charge much for those as well. The boxes last for many years and is great for being proactive and not letting them have much of a chance to enter your house.

Thanks

EcoZapp

WildlifeAg02
Please be wary of sticky traps- they tend to catch all sorts of unwitting critters, not just the target animals. I've seen cardinals and mockingbirds that were stuck on them when they went after the bugs that were caught there.
InMyOpinion
quote:
We handle our own pest control, but apparently have some rodent friends outside the house. We have an open greenspace behind us. Also noticed an old rat nest in a cabinet in the garage.

Going to have the husband trim down the tree/plant that is on the other side of the fence. The dog has been very attentive to that side of the fence at night.

Did the city ever get around to mowing the green space behind you?
BCSMom
I submitted a report about the high grass and they stated it was just mowed and they would be out later that week or the next. Within 24 hours it was mowed.

I did call the city about the tree/bush/shrub that is on their side and they are supposed to have someone come out and check since apparently it's right on the fence line. I am sure there is a nest in there so hopefully it gets cut down asap.
Mockingbird Ag
AG
If you can't get the city to mow regularly, call the Health Dept and report a vermin problem. We had a terrible problem with a field behind our house they would not keep mowed. Called the health dept and the problem disappeared .
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Please be wary of sticky traps- they tend to catch all sorts of unwitting critters, not just the target animals. I've seen cardinals and mockingbirds that were stuck on them when they went after the bugs that were caught there.
I think the sticky traps they're talking about are on the floor indoors, where roaches, scorpions, & mice roam along the floorboards. I don't think birds often get caught there.
ninjamom77
I just called EcoZapp this morning about the rats in my back shed. Josh was out before lunch, and got me squared away. I've got two bait stations, and he showed me what I need to do to prevent a reinfestation. So no contracts, no extra out of pocket, fast service, I'd highly recommend him!
O.G.
A barn cat that you do not feed. I know that sounds mean but believe me, he wont go hungry.

However, a cat can not do it all. For long term rodent control the homeowner has to meed the pest control company in the middle. Put all dog/cat food in air tight containers. Keep all food/water sources put away. Plug
all holes into the house etc.

Rodents need food, water and shelter. You have to remove those options. Otherwise you will never be rid of them.
philothea
Having some mouse/rat issues as well. Got one quote so far and was going to get another.

Tried calling EcoZapp but got the voicemail and their voicemail box was full.
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
Sorry about that Sundays we tend to get bombarded with calls. I am usually able to call people back right away. But if you give us a call today we can head your way right away.

Thanks
SumAggie
Tractor Supply - Tomcat bait stations. Several different kinds of poison. Keep feeding them. They will disappear!
medic1969p
Recommend EcoZapp as well
Hammerheadjim
AG
Outside Barn cat, Tomcat snapper traps, and letting the rat snakes live will even keep the gophers at bay. Our cat generall kills 2-3 a week. Have not trapped one in a year. The trade off is the occasional young rabbit he snags.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.