Just wondering why fireworks are illegal in the B/CS city limits

2,808 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Roc96
gutmancometh
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Statistically, it is far safer than barbecuing and smoking, both legal (with restrictions)....
duffelpud
AG
Because bureaucrats paid with your tax dollars know better than you how you should conduct yourself.
Average Joe
AG
I'm glad they are just for the fact that there are plenty of idiots out there that would be firing them off at midnight or later.

Most of the time people fire them off after they have had a lot to drink. Not the best of ideas.
Broncos
Fireworks are one of the most overrated things in the history of history
doubledog
quote:
Statistically, it is far safer than barbecuing and smoking, both legal (with restrictions)....

Those statistics are unweighted. People barbecue and smoke every day so statistically the rate of an accident (fire, burn etc..) is greater for those activities.

a good book to read about statistics is : How to Lie with Statistics by Darrell Huff http://goo.gl/mT81
BCStalk
I agree with the ban on but disagree on the possession. I feel as if the city should not have a say on what I am allowed to own in the city limits. If it isn't illegal in the United States I should be allowed to have it.
techno-ag
AG
It's just a cost calculation. Most law abiders will go see a public show. Those who disobey and start a fire will tax city resources (fire dept., PD). Noise issues and scared pets getting out also contribute. Banning fireworks in the city holds down at least some usage of city resources, saving some tax money that would otherwise be spent on idiots setting fires, etc.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Possession shouldn't be illegal.

Firing them off in city limits? Absolutely. As has been mentioned, many are well lubricated by the time they start the show, putting themselves and others at risk. Also, the noise is a factor. It's rude to your neighbors to set off fireworks after a certain hour, especially if you know they have small children who go to bed early. Plus, many people can't tell the difference between fireworks and gunfire. Saves the PD at least some "shots fired" calls.

In the end, the ordinance came about like so many others: the irresponsible ruined it for the responsible.
95_Aggie
AG
quote:
People barbecue and smoke every day so statistically the rate of an accident (fire, burn etc..) is greater for those activities.
Smoking and BBQing will most likely only damage your house. Shooting fireworks off could burn your neighbors house.
07bluebonnet
After having our second story window hit by a neighbors bottle rocket several years ago, I'm all for no fireworks in city limits.
TellMeMore
If you are outside the city limits is there a cutoff time for shooting the fireworks?
MsC2012
AG
Do the PDs actually write tickets? I hear it in a city neighborhood year after year, so I don't feel like there is a deterrent. Is there?
momlaw
AG
In CS call CSPD non emergency 979 764 3600 if there is not immediate threat of fire.
MiMi
S
There is someone in Castlegate 2 area having a great time shooting off their fireworks right now. If I knew a more exact location, I'd call it in.
FlyRod
Visiting my dad in that bastion of over-regulation, Chicago. Everyone is shooting off fireworks in their backyard. No killjoys stopping it. Like the good old days. It's great.
justalocal
Thanks to those shooting off arial fireworks in south college station (looks like Indian lakes, wood lake, and 7F lodge area)...my 5 year old got a great show from the comfort of our porch. It was awesome.
FlyRod
mgreen
Just watch the next news report showing people buying fireworks at a stand and I think you will have your answer.
Roc96
AG
Not enough animal control officers to catch all the terrified loose dogs.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.