FOX 44 vs FOX 28 ?

3,109 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by The Original AG 76
The Original AG 76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Suddenlink's ch guide show 9:00 local evening news from FOX 28 in B/CS but it's actually ch44 from Waco. Basically worthless as a so-called local news show.
Is there a ch 28 that is local ?
LWEW
Not at present. KWKT says they plan to extend their news coverage by early 2016. Whether this will include the BCS area remains to be seen.
bcstx06
The same with KRHD ABC40. Its for the Waco, Temple, Killeen area, not Bryan, College Station. KAGS is just on at 6 and 10 with reruns of the nightly news played din the morning. The only true FULL local news channel is KBTX. I would think that by now the area could support news on all of the major local channels. I don't know why this area is still considered apart of the Waco, Temple, Killeen media market.
75AG
AG
Why does DirecTV think we GAS about Waco?
techno-ag
AG
It's an FCC thing, I think. The Feds sorted us into Waco's viewing area.
The Original AG 76
AG
Has anyone attempted to fix this idiocy ? Houston is a much better fit. Sounds like a me its time to put some heat on Bill Flores
TellMeMore
I think techno is correct. They are seen as a "local" channel, and so they can block Houston signals. Same reason we only see KTRK in Houston during shows that are different than the local channel. The rest of the time we get to find out about fantastic weight lose regimens or a make up that can't be found in stores, but only with amazing offers.
woodometer
AG
Fox 44/28 9pm newscast is shot and recorded in Tyler at their KETK station and then sent down to the transmitter in Waco for broadcast. In fact Nexstar's KETX station in Tyler does this for all of their Texas and Louisiana stations.
techno-ag
AG
If you have satellite, someone here posted steps for telling them you moved to Houston. Then you get all the Houston locals. You lose KBTX, but you can catch it on an over the air antenna, I guess.
75AG
AG
quote:
If you have satellite, someone here posted steps for telling them you moved to Houston. Then you get all the Houston locals. You lose KBTX, but you can catch it on an over the air antenna, I guess.
I remember the thread, and I'll probably do that. It just seems silly. My parents have DirecTV in Huntsville and get all the Houston channels. My friend has DirecTV in Anderson and gets all the Houston channels.
Stupe
S
Use your parent's address and ad and "A" to the end of it. It will be as if they have a garage apartment. Turn off your DVR and when you turn it back on, you will have Houston local.
Stupe
S
quote:
Has anyone attempted to fix this idiocy ? Houston is a much better fit. Sounds like a me its time to put some heat on Bill Flores
The way that it was described to me when we first got Direct was that according to the FCC, the most northern point of the metro viewing area is closer to Waco than the most southern point is to Houston.

Personally, I think that's ridiculous given that there are far more people in B/CS from the greater Houston area than Waco.
ClintW
It's not the FCC. Unfortunately, we are part of the Waco DMA or market. The DMA boundaries are controlled by The Nielsen Company. I'm guessing that Nielson is clueless about College Station/Bryan. I'm sure that the TV stations in Waco could get this corrected, if they wanted. However, they have no incentive. When you add Brazos County to their market the Waco DMA becomes a Top 100 media market and attracts national advertisers that might otherwise avoid smaller markets. There is ZERO benefit to local residents and businesses being in the Whacko DMA.

Brazos County is now a larger retail market than McLennan County (Waco). In 2014 Brazos County had 2.6 billion in retail sales to McLennan County at 2.5 billion (from the state Comptroller's website) and when you consider that smaller cities like San Angelo and Victoria have their own DMAs, IT IS TIME FOR NIELSEN TO CREATE A BRAZOS VALLEY DMA.
Drewmeister
AG
It's not just Waco, it's Waco/Temple/Bryan. Temple/Belton/Killeen/Ft. Hood/Copperas Cove has as many people again as Waco and B/CS each. We're only about 1/3 of the market. Growing faster, sure, but still a minority.

Splitting the #87 market (which is up, it was 94 last I checked) wouldn't make financial sense. Looking at the numbers, It would roughly be about #130 for Waco/Temple and #157 for Bryan/College Station.

At least we have local channels now (even if they are little sisters to Waco/Temple channels), with fairly reliable transmitters & cable/satellite uplinks -- 10 years ago, this was definitely not the case.
ClintW
You say we are only 1/3 of the market, but that's an artificial market. Do you know anyone in College Station that shops in Waco? How many people that live here feel that they are part of the Waco market? I've never met one (excluding people employed by Waco media companies). I could make a case that we should be part of the Houston market. I know people that regularly go to Houston. From my house in College Station, I can drive an hour south and I am in the Houston suburbs. If I drive an hour north, I'm in the middle of nowhere. However, the easiest case to make is that College Station/Bryan is a unique market and we should have our own DMA.

It will never make financial sense to the TV stations in Waco to split the market. However, College Station / Bryan and the rest of the Brazos Valley would be a viable DMA. There are probably 50 current DMAs right now that are smaller.

Also, it's not just broadcast TV. Google uses DMAs for some search results.

75AG
AG
quote:
Do you know anyone in College Station that shops in Waco?

This x infinity!!
techno-ag
AG
I don't particularly care if we're in the Houston broadcast area or the Waco area. All I care about is local news and weather. Wherever the network feed is coming from doesn't really concern me much on the rare occasions I'm watching a network show.
The Original AG 76
AG
I'm in Houston during the week and B/CS on weekends and I can tell you as a fact , after watching both market stations, that Houston local station cover B/CS a HELLOVA lot better than those useless Waco-Temple/Kileen idiots do. They have to know that they are being crammed down our throats and they could at least make an effort to cover B/CS in a reasonable way.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.