Property management questions...

3,629 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by hillcountryag86
NativeTxn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
First, will someone please remind me of the name of the management company so many people have had trouble with? It has been discussed here a number of times, but the name of that company escapes me! If I remember correctly, this company repeatedly charged for normal wear and tear issues and keeping deposits, not having units clean and in move in condition, non responsive to complaints, etc.

Also, who would you recommend? I have a couple of friends moving to the area and will need to rent a small house or perhaps a duplex. They have asked my advice on where to start and I do not want to steer them in the wrong direction.

HELP!
BCStalk
Kathy Scott is terrible. We did enjoy At Home Properties, but our realtor we delt with is no longer there. Are they looking at Bryan or College Station?
Stupe
S
Aggieland Apartment Finders is a good property management company.
Oogway
I will second AtHome Property Mgmt. They took over a property formerly managed by BCR a few years ago and have really maintained it. I can't vouch for the inside maintenance stuff, but as I drive by now, it is always tidy. Prior to that, the weeds were knee high every month and the fence was falling down, trash everywhere.
threecatcorner
I saw a sign for a duplex for rent at (979) 696-0069. That's a private landlord rather than a property management company. If you drive around, there are several signs up, some with phone numbers of individual landlords and some property management companies or realtors. In general, I've had good experiences renting from private landlords and have heard others complain about management companies, but I can't remember the name of a specific company that people said was bad.
threecatcorner
One comment about renting a small house: not sure where your friends are from so what they think is reasonable may differ from what I think is reasonable, but it seems that anything in CS that's "a house" rents for at least $1000 a month even if it's a tiny 1 bedroom that's falling apart. On anything with at least 2 bedrooms, they basically assume that multiple college students will be splitting the rent and charge accordingly.
CS78
Craigslist has its share of BS to wade through but it's the go to place to find owner managed properties.

I have this one left. Had it leased but that recently fell through. http://collegestation.craigslist.org/apa/5090689290.html
Kbeauty63
AG
Steer clear of Equity.
NativeTxn
quote:
One comment about renting a small house: not sure where your friends are from so what they think is reasonable may differ from what I think is reasonable, but it seems that anything in CS that's "a house" rents for at least $1000 a month even if it's a tiny 1 bedroom that's falling apart. On anything with at least 2 bedrooms, they basically assume that multiple college students will be splitting the rent and charge accordingly.
I'm not exactly sure what they are looking for, price wise. They will be doing the looking themselves. They just wanted to know which proper management companies were good. They just purchased some land and will be building a house, so I'm sure they can probably find something that will work for a year or so.

I really wish someone could remember the name of the one who had such a bad reputation! Seems like maybe Momlaw or someone had some friends that had a bad experience with them, too. Does she still post here?
txyaloo
AG
Also stay clear of Texas Crosswinds
Texas Ag Mom
Native- I am almost certain it is Equity. Of course that is probably not the only one but definitely stay away from them!
NativeTxn
I kind of think you may be right! Will stay away from them, for sure.
Belton Ag
AG
quote:
Steer clear of Equity.
Yep. Rented from them when I first moved here 20 years ago and I still have a bitter taste in my mouth. Terrible, terrible management company.
MaysAggie2015
United is bad too. Really bad.
medic1969p
Stay away from United.

At home is not great with maintenance calls. Property manager drags her feet.
Bigderk21
AG
hillcountryag86
AG
At Equity, I've dealt with Toni and Kathy and they've been very, very helpful. But the others who answer the phone are not good. Equity HAS to do a better job with customer support -- too many in the office are clueless. And when they are dealing with parents far away who are trying to address an issue, Equity's office has lots of room to improve. They can maddening.

Again, I try to ask for Toni or Kathy every single call.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.