Grooming a Cruelty Dog

2,511 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by TKDMom
Pyewacket
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a 100 lb. cruelty case that I would like to get some special treatment. She had fleas and skin abscesses that I have treated.

Wiggles and Wags and Top Paw are recommended here, but couldn't groom her. Any other recs? Anyone use Pet Styles? I would like to groom her ASAP.

This world I brought her into is very new. She lived on a chain. I will stay with her during grooming.

I just tried bathing her outside and in my bathtub. She FREAKED. So I need a confined space.

Thanks
AggieAces06
AG
Have you tried Petsmart? They may be able to work with you

Poor puppy dog.
ratfacemcdougal
Don't know anything about them, but I have seen a mobile groomer called Hollywood Hounds.
AggieDarlin
AG
If they won't groom her because she's reactive or something, then don't bother contacting a big box store for grooming. See if there are any local vets who have groomers on site. You can have her sedated, with monitoring by the vet, as the groomer does her work.

Yes, this is extra cost, but it may be the best option to start her out until she becomes more wise to the ways of the good side of humanity. Of course, depending on the level of trauma, she may never be comfy with grooms, but it's a start.

I don't see any description of the dog's behavior in the OP, but just in case, please don't be offended if you can't find a groomer who will take the risk of grooming a cruelty case with possible unpredictable behavior. No matter how small, a single injury can be career-ending to a vet/tech/groomer/etc.

Also, many groomers will decline providing service to dogs who have a lot of skin issues going on (for a few obvious reasons, but one being that they don't want to be blamed if further trauma occurs during the groom) . If the condition is being monitored by a vet, then willingness increases.

If the pup is already attached to you, staying during the groom may or may not be a good thing - many groomers may have protocols against this. Some dogs are way calmer without owners present. Just depends.

Good luck with the kiddo and thank you for helping
momlaw
AG
You seriously need to be with the dog both during waiting and grooming times. It is essential that the trust you are building is not damaged.

Waggie Pet Zone does grooming. If you explain the situation they may be willing to work with you. I know that they help the shelters with difficult cases and have a heart for rescues and rescuers.

Edited to add where Aggie Darlin and I have different advice I defer to her, though, there are some groomers in town who have been known to be rough with dogs while in the privacy of the grooming session.

Waggie PZ does have a veterinary practice on premises, in fact owned by veterinarians. Shannon, their manager is very dog savvy.

Edited second time to add 100# is a lot of dog fueled by primitive brain stem fear if it is triggered. That you both for taking in that challenge and for caution in seeking care.
AggieDarlin
AG
I understand what you're saying, momlaw. There are so many factors involved and I'm just having to assume a full spectrum of possible reactions since all we know is that it's a pup with a history of cruelty.

Depending on the level of emotion, building trust may not even "be on the table" if the dog goes 0 -60 during the groom. If that happens, I would halt the groom immediately and not push the dog further at all despite how funky it looks without a spa day.

While you and and the OP may be the calmest, non-bothersome people on the planet, there are a ton of dog owners out there who get themselves riled up and end interfering with the groom tremendously - sometimes to the point where it effects the groomers performance and/or the safety of all parties involved. This is why a lot of groomers have learned to ask owners to just back away for a little while and come pick up the kiddo when done.

I know there are groomers who exhibit bad behavior behind closed doors, but I hope they're lazy enough to say no to a special case

Hopefully your contacts who have experience with rescues can help out!
GunRangeGal
AG
I don't have any recommendations for groomers, but my heart just breaks hearing that a pup was treated so poorly.

If you need help with the cost of grooming, please please please send me an email at gunrangegal @ yahoo . com.
Picadillo
Thank you AggieDarlin for helping one of God's creatures.
SchnauzerMom
Try America's Country Store in Wellborn. I take both of my pups there for grooming.
Pyewacket
AG
Thanks momlaw and AggieDarlin.

I will call Waggie.

The dog (I use this term because of an ongoing investigation, not because I am unfeeling) has no behavioral issues other than whining and becoming nervous when held. Owners held her down to breed her. She is submissive and sweet natured. I also have 20+ years of experience dealing with cruelty issues
(which is why I have her). The Dog's son takes a bath by showering with me!

I was looking for a groomer that would be patient and make this a positive experience for "the dog". This is where I am running into a roadblock. She is of a "top 5 dogs people are scared of" so I got a no from a lot of places off the bat. Add cruelty and I get a no from several other places. She is too big for Hollywood Hounds I think?

I agree with AggieDarlin. Some cruelty cases have wanted me to stay because of the trust, some do better without me. This one needs me to stay, but I will always defer to the groomer.

GunRangeGal- Thank you for your kind offer and support. I whisper a promise to each dog I help that I will always be there to cover all their needs and costs.

Any more suggestions? If not I will take her to Lucky Dog. Michael at Greatful Dog always helped me.
Max06
AG
I was going to suggest one of the DIY's.

Maybe if you call ahead they'd let you come in early or late so that you're the only one there.
momlaw
AG
Grateful Dog is closed. I miss Michael.

Do try Waggie, (979) 693-ZONE (9663), ask for Shannon.
Prune Tracy
barbara314tx
Hollywood Hounds does a great job.
barbara314tx
There is also a place called Blue Ribbon Grooming off hwy 30 that is good too.
bbb3434
Buy the shears for less than 100 and do it yourself, start slow, it's easy
AggieDarlin
AG
Again, thank you for helping the dog, Pyewacket

I hope you know you're required to post pics of the dog *when able to*
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Give Hollywood Hounds a call. She comes to you.
PS3D
It sounds like based on context said dog was used in dog fighting, which is probably why groomers won't work with it (too dangerous) and why there's an investigation.

I kinda feel like despite your experience and big heart, the dog will never adjust properly to new owners and should be, you know...
AggieDarlin
AG
Which canine rescue/rehab group do you work with?
Pyewacket
AG
AggieDarlin- I work with most rescues past and present. I take in or rehab medical issues or problem dogs and cats. This one is not with a rescue. This dog is personal.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Waggie Pet Zone gave me an appointment next week. I would still rather do it myself at home or lucky dog. I just can't help the dog by myself. Plus I have kid "helpers". If any of you fine animal lovers would like to help, I will pay you!!
AggieDarlin
AG
Sorry, Pyewacket, my question was for the poster above me
TransplantedRedRaider
First, thank you for taking this dog in. Sounds like he really needed angel. So glad that an angel found him. Waggie Pet zone have groomed my small dogs, and have done a great job. They were very patient with my nervous rescue Yorkie.

If you want to groom him yourself at Lucky Dog, I would be happy to volunteer to help you tomorrow evening. I know nothing about grooming but I do know nervous dogs, and I can follow instructions.

Scoopen Skwert
AG
Kind of strange hearing that about Misty. She is an angel when it comes to my little girl. My dog was attacked by a mistreated dog and since then is very timid. Misty opens up early for us so our dog can be seen without the added stress of other dogs.
originaltexan
The dog is grateful that he has you as an advocate to look after him!
meanmom
I would be more than happy to help. I have two
dogs I bath myself. They like the shower.
TKDMom
Pyewacket, what kind of "grooming" do you need for her? Are we talking a dog with long hair that needs clipping, or one with shorter hair that just needs bathing? There are alternatives to a full on bath, if the dog has short hair that she might tolerate better. If you try to bathe her yourself on a weekend, I might be able to help out.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.