Giroir Forced to Resign from HSC??

6,806 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by AgCPA
lawless89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Situation seems odd...

http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/Giroir-Resigns-as-Texas-AM-Health-Science-Center-CEO-305692771.html?device=phone&c=y
StringerBell
AG
very odd.
barefoot
let the reign begin....what a loss.
Sleepnumber
AG
Wow!!!! This guy had a great reputation. What's going on?
kraut
AG
quote:
In April, Texas A&M System Chancellor John Sharp asked for all university vice presidents to submit letters of resignation with an open end to give Young the chance to better install the leadership team he wanted. Young would then be able to reject or accept the resignations.
Must not have submitted his pre-resignation letter....
I-Haul
AG
NVM
w8liftr
We need Wallace Hall here to keep Sharp & Young accountable.
Al Bula
AG
Man, higher education is nothing but smoke and mirrors. Most academics are liberal, but the failed policticians and other assorted political leeches get the plum six-figure administrative jobs.
nashvilleaggie11
http://wtaw.com/2015/06/01/brett-giroir-leaves-the-texas-am-health-science-center/
meinkee
If it ain't smoke and mirrors it' cups and ice!
oklaunion
Why would he not force the president to fire him? Now, the news release out of Young's office says that G resigned and will likely deny that he was given an ultimatum.
SumAggie
sadly Dr. Giroir just learned what several thousand others learned before him - there is NO loyalty to employees. NONE.
Tailgate88
AG
quote:
Why would he not force the president to fire him? Now, the news release out of Young's office says that G resigned and will likely deny that he was given an ultimatum.
This was a "resignation" not a resignation.

quote:
Giroir said he was given the option to resign or to be terminated within the next 30 minutes. After visiting with his wife, he submitted his resignation because "there was no reason to create more turmoil over what I think there is going to be more what I think will be somewhat tumultuous" situation.

Dr. Giroir noted the timing of the personnel action was the day after the end of the legislative session, where the HSC received $144 million in tuition revenue bonds for further expansion.
Young told Giroir he "was looking for someone to increase NIH research funding and be more interdisciplinary with the rest of the university." Giroir told WTAW News "Of all the reasons, and there are probably many good ones that people may not want me, that would be the least of them". Giroir cited a $3 billion dollar BARDA award and the $50 million NCTM facility, increasing HSC research in his first year by 65 percent and overall by 35 percent.

Giroir added "It's a bit unsettling that the thing I'm very best at and think have succeeded at most is the reason that my services are no longer needed as part of the team".
He is heavily involved in that BARDA grant... wonder what will become of it now?
Fonzie Scheme
AG
This is an embarrassment to Texas A&M. Brett Giroir was probably the smartest man on the combined campuses; now, they have fired him.

Good god, will the idiocy that starts at the top (looking at your Mr. Sharp) never end?
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I had a couple of run-ins with him administratively that rubbed me the wrong way. But I always respected his talent and intellect, and what he was doing for HSC was nothing but positive. This move by Young really rubs me the wrong way. Giroir seemed like a great asset and leader for HSC and the reasons given for dismissal seem pretty hollow and weak. I'll be interested to hear what else comes out about this.
W
AG
I don't think this is a loyalty issue as much as it's a:

"when the new guy takes over, he brings in his own people" issue. Rather common these days.

it's possible that Sharp had to accept or offer that stipulation in order for Young to take the job
SumAggie
don't be fooled - this is about power. Sharp will never allow anyone smarter than him to remain in any position where HE is not the center of attention. It is apparent already that the new guy is going to be a puppet for the chancellor.
biobioprof
This just got discussed in our department and I didn't get the sense that anyone thought this was a net loss. I was under the impression that Giroir had a lot of connections to Guy Diedrich and some crony-based projects from Perry.
runawaytrain
Can we get a vote of no confidence for Sharp and tell him to resign?

The guy is and his puppets are a joke. Giroir is a very very smart and capable guy. I would imagine allot of the faculty and staff at HSC now realize there is no loyalty at the top. Everyone is now put on notice. The only problem with a medical school focusing on NIH grants, it doesn't produce great doctors. Medical Research is not equivalent to producing much needed great medical doctors.

How do you bring a guy in who is very capable, into a room full of lawyers and say "resign or be fired"? What kind of person does that?
Rapier108
Goose83
AG
nashvilleaggie11
I'd like to compare yours and Dr. G's resume.
wysiwyg
AG
I don't know the guy but heading straight to the media within minutes of the meeting certainly says something about him. Guess we now know where the resignation letter leak came from. Looks like there might not have been much interest in being a team player and that's the last thing a new President would want to deal with.
nashvilleaggie11
So you would go out quiet without a fight for something you felt was crappy and an injustice? That shows what kind of person you are. If you've listened to what he said to the media, it is all very reasonable and classy.
FightingAggie
AG
quote:
So you would go out quiet without a fight for something you felt was crappy and an injustice? That shows what kind of person you are. If you've listened to what he said to the media, it is all very reasonable and classy.

To be fair it's odd that he said he resigned rather than create turmoil, then went on to publicize it. On the whole I think he should have stayed, but that's kind of contradictory.
lost my dog
quote:
I would imagine allot of the faculty and staff at HSC now realize there is no loyalty at the top.

Well, if they didn't realize that when Nancy Dicky was fired and replaced by Giroir, they might now. Giror came in as a chancellor's favorite, and I guess is leaving as a chancellor's un-favorite.

quote:
The only problem with a medical school focusing on NIH grants, it doesn't produce great doctors. Medical Research is not equivalent to producing much needed great medical doctors.

You are missing the incentives. Prestige among medical schools is not measured in "great doctors", it is measured in grant dollars. Most of the universities at the top of the list of amounts of federal funding have the majority of their federal funding from NIH.
carpe vinum
AG
quote:
This is an embarrassment to Texas A&M. Brett Giroir was probably the smartest man on the combined campuses; now, they have fired him.

Good god, will the idiocy that starts at the top (looking at your Mr. Sharp) never end?
Fonzie, It's not often I agree with you, but whomever is behind this is the biggest bag of crap around. Dr. Giroir was an immeasurable asset to the university.
biobioprof
quote:
I'd like to compare yours and Dr. G's resume.
Normalized for salary?
FlyRod
Perhaps the "at will" philosophy is making its way through TAMU from bottom to top?
lost my dog
quote:
Perhaps the "at will" philosophy is making its way through TAMU from bottom to top?

It has always been that way at the top. I've seen department heads, associate deans and a provost lose their positions because the person above them wanted them gone, for reasons I have thought both good and bad. (Heck, if you want to talk absence of loyalty to those in highly-paid positions, A&M fired RC Slocum )

But these firings don't make the news; the people involved just go back to being regular faculty members. (Does Giroir have tenure at the med school, or is he totally gone?)

I don't have a dog in this fight; HSC isn't my college, and I have mixed feelings about Sharp. But I would pose a question (rhetorically, since this is an anonymous board) - those of you who are so upset, how many of you are faculty or research staff at HSC, and how many just don't like Sharp?
biobioprof
A refresher on the history of Giroir's hiring: https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2009/10/22/texas

I don't know the real inside baseball here; I try to avoid this level of politics, although I'm as much of a sucker for gossip about it as anyone else. But I'm now wondering if the whole "provide letters of resignation" thing was aimed at Giroir, since many of the other Perry cronies have been pushed out by Sharp (Kimbrough, Diedrich, Fossum) or the BoR (McKinney). Whether you think BARDA and NCTM are the greatest thing or not (I'm in the not camp), they're strongly associated with the Perry crony crowd. TAMU got burned several times by deals arranged by Perry and Diedrich buddies that looked good in press releases where the devil in the details came back to bite us after the projects became yesterday's news. The most obvious one was TIGM, which Diedrich probably brokered but blamed on the late Dick Ewing after Ewing was dead and the project turned into a white elephant. More recently the IBM partnership pushed by Perry buddies (Fossum IIRC was a big proponent) has turned out to be a case of a bunch of us working to make lemonade from a freight car of lemons.

Now, since Sharp himself is viewed as being chancellor based on being an old friend of the Ex-Gov who is running for POTUS, one can speculate on what this all means in the context of Texas and national politics. But another idea I'm wondering about is whether someone figured out between Loftin's elevation after a search with a poor applicant pool and this most recent search that clearing out the group associated with the Murano defenestration was necessary to attract a univ president with a resume like Young's.

And nashville: the relevant resume comparison is not me and Giroir. It's Giroir and Young.
Post removed:
by user
AgCPA
AG
He was a Perry guy... Perry aint gov no more... simple as that.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.