Our rain and gardens status

2,864 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by transplanted txn
FlyRod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Curious how folks' gardens are doing with all this rain?

After the last few years, I'm having the biggest crop of tomatoes I've had to date...even the fussy heirlooms are doing well. Usually the heat kicks in and they stop producing soon, but this rain and cooler temps have really worked wonders. I understand other folks have had theirs' washed out.
jrhmc
AG
I'm getting more tomatoes than I ever have before. My bell peppers are also getting big quicker than usual. I hope we keep the temps for a few more weeks.
aggiegal99
I think my veggies are just too wet. My squash plants all crapped out overnight...like mildew or something got them and they shriveled up. The tomatoes are super bushy, but aren't producing as much fruit as usual. Same with peppers.

I'm a pretty terrible gardener, however.
Yuccadoo
I have great drainage, but......lost 4 roses due to too much damn water. Coupla my *****ly pear cacti are looking pretty limp, too....

Edited for humor value
Scruffy
AG
Staff,
You removed my cypress hill quote, but that has lead to my "watch list" showing a new reply, but my inability to click on the icon and have the drop down thingy show up on the mobile site.

That is, imho, more annoying than a 90's rap lyric.

Just letting you know.

Edit because rap.
No e at the end.
FlyRod
Not sure what happened to you there, Scruff. Having just returned from Amsterdam, I was amused FWIW.
Scruffy
AG
Wooioooo.
I suppose with my last post, it reset things.

And thanks.i thought my post was funny.
Justified
Pr_ _ _ly pear always gets blocked. Been there before.
dachsie
My tomato plants are 5 feet tall and have quite a few tomatoes on them. One has 3 pretty good sized ones I am waiting to start turning. My green beans are about 2 feet tall and have been producing. My squash plants are also bigger than i have ever goten them and so far I have only gotten one and several have rotted from too much water but I have a few that are growing now. My jalapeno is 3 feet tall and has peppers. My herbs have doubled in size. ANd my potatoes grew so tall - they are about 4 feet if you lifts them up. i have picked the red ones but the yukons are still green so have not picked them yet. Sweet potatoes are starting to grow.

Have never had my garden look this good since i moved to my house. LOL
agfan1030
My friend in Dime Box says he has the best garden ever. You name it and he probably is growing it. Fruits and veggies......
Scruffy
AG
All the guys at work from Caldwell have said their stuff is all dying.
Tomatoes turning black
Potatoes shriveling
Plumb tree dropping what it had.

Seems like they got too much water and went into shock.
Hammerheadjim
AG
All my veggies have grown exponentially.. Bumper crop. Just pulled down 100 lbs of red plums.

However, the snail explosion is driving me crazy...
Brewmaster
AG
quote:
I have great drainage, but......lost 4 roses due to too much damn water
I had to dig up a small peach tree (planted just 2 months ago) and replant it 6" higher. It was drowning and it's planted on a slight slope...it has dropped about half of it's leaves, but appears to be perking up now.

'maters are doing good with the exception of one of the Cherokee Purples, the cabernet (cherry tomato) is loving life. Mint is doing the best of the herbs, rest are struggling - too much water.

We planted a 6+" Montezuma Cypress in the front and it is taking off and filling out, of course they love water.

Looks like the 10 day forecast is high pressure and sunshine - much needed.
GSS
Established fruit trees doing great (bumper crop of Methley plums, loaded apple and peach trees), newly planted trees are struggling.

Garden is a disappointment, due to nutrient loss (?) and yellowing of plants normally vivid green. Squash spoiling on the vine. Maybe the sunshine and a additional fertilizer will turn things around.
Weeds loved the rain!
dachsie
quote:
Established fruit trees doing great (bumper crop of Methley plums, loaded apple and peach trees), newly planted trees are struggling.

Garden is a disappointment, due to nutrient loss (?) and yellowing of plants normally vivid green. Squash spoiling on the vine. Maybe the sunshine and a additional fertilizer will turn things around.
Weeds loved the rain!

Try Epsom salt. The water has leached the magnesium out of the plants and you can help them with that
FlyRod
Mockingbirds starting to destroy the tomatoes. The rains held them off for awhile...
jrhmc
AG
I lost about 10 tomatoes before I got the bird netting up. Stupid birds.
Oogway
Birds gonna bird.
Say, some little critter is wiping out the dill. I use some in recipes, but I mostly grow it for the butterfly larvae. This critter resembles the yellow aphids that also strike the butterfly weed except it is gray. Any recs for something that would knock it out w/o killing the butterflies?
Brewmaster
AG
I don't have the answer for your dill, but what do you use on butterfly weed for the aphids? I get the orange colored ones every year.
Oogway
In the past I have used an old foam paintbrush and brushed on soapy water. That knocked them back enough that the caterpillars didn't seem to mind. I was ill last summer and just let them go. The plants looked awful, just awful, but I kept watering them and eventually the aphids left. I did see some ladybugs around so they may have been taking care of the problem for me.
I am not a very good gardener, but I love that so many folks in our neighborhood and in and around the area have gardens and pretty flowers. I love to stop and admire them and always will--it is why I like the sidewalks in this community so much--I can look and enjoy the beauty without stepping on the lawn!
Brewmaster
AG
update: just for grins I sprayed some of this directly on the aphids on our butterfly weed yesterday... checked today and they are all black and dead as a doornail. Works great on the dog's fleas (as it's intended).

http://www.amazon.com/Vets-Best-Natural-Spray-8-Ounce/dp/B003QS6JL2

I think as long as I'm careful not to spray the flowers it should still be okay for the butterflies.
transplanted txn
My cantelope plants are going crazy!! I've already got about 10 melons that are a couple of weeks away from being ripe! Wonderful!

Tomatoes and peppers doing great - cucumbers, not so much.

Bring on the sunshine!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.