School speed limit lights

1,293 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Tariny
PS3D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any idea why the school speed limit lights at 2818 (AMCHS) were on both at 8:30 am AND 12:45 pm today? Normally, they don't turn on except during when school starts and lets out, but not only have they been going off all day, but there's no classes at all (parking lot mostly empty, graduation at Reed)
Chazz03
AG
Early release at elementary and middle schools and lights on same program?
PS3D
quote:
Early release at elementary and middle schools and lights on same program?
I thought that Graduation Day was one day after the last day of school for everyone else.
Chazz03
AG
I don't know about graduation. In regards to the school zone lights though all of them in town run on the same program and I know the elementary schools got out at 12:45 today.
Ratsa
There was a final this morning, followed by a 2-hour open campus lunch, with school officially letting out at 12:45 pm. I'm guessing buses didn't run until 12:45 pm, but everyone else was cleared out of school by about 10:30 am.
phatpat21
Consol graduates tonight after CSHS
The Original AG 76
AG
Just an FYI . School zones are not in force unless the school is in session. A cop MAY stop you and write you a ticket but it is an automatic dismissal if school was NOT in session on the day of citation. Same for the stupid cell phone nonsense.
UmustBKidding
All school zone indicators do not run on the same schedule in College Station. Actually each one has buried in its guts what is essentially a pager. You page the light its schedule and it runs that schedule every day until it gets a new one. They have a system that knows which poles are in a given area (elementary school, middle, intermediate, high school) and it blasts out any special schedules. This is how if there is early release or late start they change all the lights sitting in the office. They typically set the morning/afternoon based on when the buses run. While finals were over in the high schools by 10:30 the buses did not run until lunch.

If you are a little tech you can find the paging channel and listen to the POSCAG messages they send them to figure out the format (its not that hard). A little more effort and you could send your own schedules to it. But you might be very popular with several agencies. Last I checked they had no security to validate the commands came from a valid source.

Graduating High School Seniors have been done since Monday and All grades were due in by 11:30 today for others. Typically Bryan & CS rotate Friday/Saturday Graduation on the last day of school for regular students.
Scruffy
AG
quote:
If you are a little tech you can find the paging channel and listen to the POSCAG messages they send them to figure out the format (its not that hard). A little more effort and you could send your own schedules to it. But you might be very popular with several agencies. Last I checked they had no security to validate the commands came from a valid source.

Interesting.
If I decide to change my hobby from enjoying adult beverages to electronics tinkering, I may be interested in this.
Tariny
Kind of off subject, but the last day for Bryan schools is not until June 4 this year. So if the lights are blinking in Bryan, make sure you slow down (wouldn't want anyone to get a ticket).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.