Best route to Brenham?

2,387 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Slocum on a mobile
MiMi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
I've lived in College Station for 25 years and have never had a reason to travel to Brenham. My child has a swim meet tomorrow morning. Given the recent rains, are there any concerns about the roads in that area? Any construction projects? I'm in Castlegate and, best I can tell, the two options are 'Hwy 6 to 105' or '60 to 50 to 105.' Which do you think is the preferred route?
BMo
Hwy 6 to 105.
BCStalk
105 all the way there.
Oogway

Agree, highway 6 to 105 is easiest way to travel.

Tsunamis, perhaps? Good luck and have fun, our family enjoyed the experience and the time spent together.
AgFan1999
AG
Blue Bell aquatic center?

I drive Brenham to CS every day - there's like 5 minutes difference between 60-36, 60-50-105. Mainly because the speed limit is 70 on the majority of the 36 way.
MiMi
S
quote:
Tsunamis, perhaps? Blue Bell aquatic center?
Yes to both. Thanks. I was hoping 105 was the best route.
techno-ag
AG
Hwy 50 is closed today due to flooding. Definitely take 105 or 36, and be careful.
MiMi
S
Thanks techno! The swim meet will be over by noon so I'm hoping to get there and back home before any hard rainfall tomorrow. Looks like the best chance for rain is Saturday afternoon through Sunday morning
AgFan1999
AG
I would take 60-36 in that case. Otherwise, you're driving down to Navasota to pick up 105 (without knowing which roads near Navasota are affected by the flooding), making it about 45-50 minutes depending on traffic . 60-36 would be 45 minutes
Oogway
We love to drive on the country roads (albeit when people aren't trying to get to work or their land) but that was one of the reasons I mentioned Hwy 6--we had to drive to Brenham for business last week and all the creeks were running high even before the last round of storms so sticking to the main roads is the safest and surest way for now.
Safe travels to you!
JR Ewing
AG
From Castlegate, go to Wellborn road. Take a left and drive until you reach the stop sign in Millican. Take a right on 159, and drive about 15 miles until you hit 105. Take a right and drive until you enter Brenham. That's a nice low traffic drive...also, while in Brenham, have a nice lunch and help out their local economy, as they've had a lot of people laid off recently at Blue Bell and Valmont. #beagoodneighbor!
Mathguy64
AG
If you live south or east of B/SC go 6-105. West or North go 6-36.
BlueMiles
AG
You might want to check www.drivetexas.org for closures before heading out.
farmer2010
AG
quote:
From Castlegate, go to Wellborn road. Take a left and drive until you reach the stop sign in Millican. Take a right on 159, and drive about 15 miles until you hit 105. Take a right and drive until you enter Brenham. That's a nice low traffic drive...also, while in Brenham, have a nice lunch and help out their local economy, as they've had a lot of people laid off recently at Blue Bell and Valmont. #beagoodneighbor!

159 cuts VERY close to both the Brazos and Navasota rivers. I'd avoid it unless you bring a paddle.
CrazyAgE
No way I'm going this route unless you don't care how long it takes. Had to go this way once and there must be 50 curves throughout this farmland, so it's not like you can go 65-70 mph at all. Constantly slowing down to make all of those turns. Like the others have said, depending on where you live, go 6 to 105, or 60 to 36.
OnlyANobody
A section of 50 is closed due to flooding, now.
Rapier108
If the Brazos comes up much more, 105 might get closed as well.
momlaw
AG
I have been on that road after serious rains. Not so much fun.
Inca
AG
quote:
If you live south or east of B/SC go 6-105. West or North go 6-36.

THIS. I live in Brenham (outside of Brenham) and both hubby and I work in College Station. I work on the southside of CS and go 105 to 6 to 40. Drive right by Castlegate to get to work. Definitely take 6, exit business 6 to Navasota and then turn right at the light. Roads are fine right now.

Do not take 159.
MiMi
S
quote:
Definitely take 6, exit business 6 to Navasota and then turn right at the light. Roads are fine right now.
Thanks. That's exactly what I'm planning to do!
Inca
AG
quote:
If the Brazos comes up much more, 105 might get closed as well.

It would have to come up A LOT. Yes, it is very close to going over the banks but the bridge is not close to the banks.

That being said, I did get an automated call from Washington County tonight about FM 50 being closed at the Yegua and that the Brazos is very close to flooding. As suggested, check Drivetexas.org before you leave if you are concerned.
Post removed:
by user
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.