Job for 18 yr old

2,403 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by shotcaller1
momkat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My son graduated from high school and will be attending summer classes at Blinn from 10-2 before becoming a fightin Texas Aggie!!! He really needs a job but has had a hard time finding one that is not HEB or McDonalds. He has applied at Best Buy, Sprint, and I believe all the other cell carriers. If anybody has any thoughts (without bashing the mom that is trying to help her son), I would greatly appreciate them.
texasaggie2015
AG
What is he interested in doing after school?
Max06
AG
What's wrong with HEB? It's a great place to work, from what I have heard.

Mow yards
Producer's Cooperative
Home builders/painters
Apartment make-readies
tb9665
Reynolds and Reynolds. If you get hired on as part-time, some areas will even let you pick your schedule around school hours.
jopatura
AG
I can understand not wanting to serve food, but he shouldn't discount the grocery stores. Unless he has some quantifiable electronics or sales experience, he's going to have a hard time landing a position other then cashier at Best Buy or greeter at the cell phone stores. He's also less likely to be hired at those places if he only wants a summer job because of the training involved (esp at the cell stores).

Other option would be GameStop and mall stores like Macy's and JcPenney's for the retail route.
gettingitdone
My son has had friend work at HEB and they loved it. They are very good with working with student schedules and needed time off. Most of his friends started out on the cart crew and worked their way up to sacker and cashier. I have also hear Wings and More is great for student jobs as well.
Tariny
Has he considered checking Blinn for student worker jobs? There are several that would allow him to study while he works.
BEaggie08
AG
I'd actually recommend HEB.

Also, working construction in the summer before starting college is really good motivation to do well in school.
momkat
I am sorry. I didn't mean to imply there was anything wrong with working at HEB or McDonalds or any such. He will be going into the biomed program at A&M. He is a super techie by nature so we were just trying to get him experience in that area.
Max06
AG
Check with the vet school. They have lots of student jobs.
jopatura
AG
Unless he manages to work for Geek Squad actually fixing computers, any biomed career is going to lump any retail job at 18 in the same category - HEB, Best Buy, cell phone carriers, etc. Now if he only wants that type of job, that's fine. But if it's a resume push, just remember that all they'll care about is that he had a job at 18. Not what job he had.
momlaw
AG
I think North Navasota HEB (aka Towerpoint) hires, for the most part, really great young men and women. All kinds of skills, including dealing with the ever so difficult public, can be attained and burnished. I have enjoyed seeing these young individuals grow over the years.
momlaw
AG
Another thought, when we lived in Bakersfield California many of my adult friends and acquaintances who were successful professionals observed their parents made them work the potato sheds in the summers (really, really bad conditions) so they would appreciate the value of applying themselves to their collegiate studies.
McFly16
The City of Bryan is hiring lifeguards right now for the summer. They've got a good deal on their certification class if you apply and work for them - $65 for the class, lifeguard swim suit, whistle and CPR pocket mask. Plus if you work for then through the summer they'll even refund you the $65 you paid for the class for a nice little bonus at the end of summer.

http://www.bryantx.gov/lifeguards/
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
http://www.military.com/join-armed-forces

These folks will even pay for his school, if he is good enough to be selection for this elite organization.
TheAlarmGuy
Momkat have him call me number below.
Sponsor Message: Advanced Security Concepts | Reliable security by dependable people at an affordable price | david1@advancedsec.com | 979-690-8516 | State Lic B09523
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
We're looking for students to work during the summer if he would like to learn sales and other business stuff. Flexible hours. Not for everyone, must be very motivated and have a very strong work ethic. For the right kind of students working summers with us could pay for college, and give an unbelievable resume boost.

Call us or shoot us an e-mail if semi- interested.

Thanks
shotcaller1
AG
I did heb and found the schedule very flexible, my co-workers were all mostly in my age range, and I found it to be beneficial for the development of my soft skills. The pay is decent.

I also did a small stint with Reynolds. Schedule was even more flexible than heb. No weekends, no nights. If I ever wanted more hours, all I had to do was show up. The co-workers there were all my age range and nice for the most part.

If you want more details on either, I'd be glad to share
momkat
I will have him call you. Thanks.
momkat
He has worked on his resume. I will have him send it to you. Thank you.
momkat
Could you please give me information on Reynolds and Reynolds?
jrhmc
AG
There was a sign up at Game Xchange today saying they were looking to hire 18 and older.
tb9665
If you look on the Reynolds and Reynolds website, you will see under careers there are part-time positions for different departments.
atxaggie07
AG
He can apply to be a student worker on campus.
thefarcus
I know WireStar is looking for a pt worker. They do my internet and the tech said he was looking for more help. Their website is www.wirestar.net, and he wrote down to contact at jobs@wirestar.net
shotcaller1
AG
Email me at (username)texags at gmail, and I'll share some more info/answer any specific questions you may have
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.